5'3 155lbs ~ how many Calories?!

Options
2»

Replies

• veronicacannon
    veronicacannon Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3" started at 152 and have been eating at 1410 plus exercise calories. And I still go over at least once a week. I've been losing steadily for the past 2 and a half months!
  • vsecret921
    vsecret921 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Oh good :)

I want, I'm sure along with many other, to feel "safe" about posting questions on the boards without being attacked.

You all have been so wonderful and helpful with your comments!!!
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    when i first started MFP wanted me to eat only 1200 calories but i was always hungry and generally not happy. i bumped my calorie intake to 1500 and have been doing very well with it for the last 6 months. lost 30 pounds and still losing!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I am about the same as you and all the calculators have me at 1446 to 1500....MFP has me at 1200 if I put in sedentary, and 1300 - 1400 if I put in lightly active.
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Thats awesome!!!!

I know I will only stick to something if I am happy doing it. It can be a little tough, but if its really hard I know I will slowly give up or do it halfway - which will make me gain!
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'3'' and my goal is 1600 per day and I'm trying to increase this. There's a group on here called 'Eat more to Lose more' which you may be interested in - people on there have had some REAL successes. I was on a 1200 calorie diet basically since I joined MFP and not lost anything. At the moment I'm around 132lb but my body frame is really petite, so I look like I'm carrying a lot more weight than I actually am. I've upped my gym routine and also my calories and feel a million percent better, and am starting to see changes which is really encouraging! Sorry to hear you've got a bad knee - would something like swimming not be an option.. just gentle exercise. I guess you could always do upper body workouts too, you'd be surprised how many calories are burned by lifting weights!

Good luck with your goals.

H:)
  • vsecret921
    Options
    Thanks!! I will def. check out that page! Sounds like something that would work for me :)
  • kimdt74
    kimdt74 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and started at 153. MFP put me at 1200 and like you I was starving. I've used http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/ to try to figure out how many calories I should be eating. If I sit MFP on 1/2 lb a week it puts me at about what fat2fit said I needed to be eating. Since Feb. 6 I have lost a little over 19 lbs. I took a week off while on vacation. I don't have a smart phone so I was unable to keep up with it that week, but I did still try to control my portions. I have not lost as fast as my friends who eat 1200 calories, but I feel a lot better then I did at 1200 calories. I knew if I tried to stay at that amount I would end up failing like I have in the past. Good luck and I hope you find what works for you.
  • Taralyn68
    Taralyn68 Posts: 1
    Options
    I am close in proximity to your size, and fortunately I am able to walk; however, there was a point I couldn't walk due severe ankle problem and guess what? There is always upper body movement exercises you can do to burn calories to assist in toning and increasing the daily caloric intake a wee bit. I too am on the 1200 calorie restriction, but I have had to get real creative with the food selections in order to feel "full". Getting the daily protein is essential for food satiation and then combine it with volumous foods that are low in calories, such as greens. Kale is a great food choice as you can eat it raw, saute kale and even make kale chips (definitely check out foodnetwork.com for kale recipes). Fluid intake is super important as often our hunger feeling is actually from dehydration, so make sure you push the fluids and I understand about not wanting to pee so much, but as soon as you start intaking the fluids your body adjust and you won't be running to the bathroom every five minutes. I would also suggest considering going on youtube and search out upper body exercise options, and definitely include weights as that will burn more calories and provide more toning simultaneously, but there are surely physical therapy exercises for bummed knees available. Don't know if you have access to a swimming pool, but aquatic therapy is great for the body and bodyparts that don't function properly or in the midst of healing. Warmest wishes and believing in your success. Don't give up and you will be looking at 149 soon enough, and then 144, 139, 134 and your goal weight is there waiting to welcome you.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know because I am not your height weight or age but the scooby calorie calculator says for you to eat at least 1500 calories even if you are sedentary & by the way I have lost over 30 pounds with no exercise since January ( had a stroke so cannot exercise ) so it can be done!
  • vsecret921
    Options
    thanks to EVERYONE who give such amazing advice! You all are my inspiration :)