If you could only buy packaged or "just heat" foods...

Options
Lately I have been trying to buy all fresh foods but my schedule is forcing me to throw out tons of yummy foods since I barely eat at home! I'm curious what packaged "just heat" foods is on everyone's shopping list. Also frozen meals you heat up on the stove are fine too.

I'm thinking of buying some of those Voila! Chicken Alfredo bags and portioning it up. I would attempt to cook all from scratch but I hate my own cooking :P

Replies

• iKapuniai
    iKapuniai Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I'm obsessed w/ beef jerky. Great source of quick protein, though high in sodium and sugar. I plan on making my own once I get a dehydrator though lol That's my go-to packaged food!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Bag of frozen vegetables. Normandy mix from Costco is my favorite.
  • Neecy_Pooh
    Neecy_Pooh Posts: 122
    Options
    I don't eat them. At all! They have a ton of sodium in them and loaded with calories and fat. It is all gross if you ask me. My son and husband on the other hand, is a different story. They both eat a lot of that crap. My daughter (2) eats what I eat. She loves kale and broccoli. Those are her favorite veggies. She also loves fish!

As far as I am concerned as healthy as they say their foods are, they are not at all.
  • Kara_xxx
    Kara_xxx Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I buy some frozen breaded chicken portions of fish fingers, but no "ready meals" that you would microwave etc.
  • HolllyBot
    HolllyBot Posts: 33
    Options
    edamamme
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I buy a lot of the healthy choice steamers and bags of frozen veggies. I also keep tuna and eggs on hand for quick tuna salad sandwiches (sub greek yogurt for mayo helps with fat!). I also love my protein shakes and fiber one bars for quick on the go snacks.
  • Tippismom
    Tippismom Posts: 10
    Options
    If you buy salad stuff keep it in a zip lock type bag get as much air out as possible and make sure you do the same each time you open it. Mix up some tuna, cut different meats to bite size and have some shredded cheese and cut up veggies in the frige. You have a nice dinner salad. Lean cusine is a good frozen meal also. Weight watchers meals are good. Just try a few and you can find what you like. You can also make your own meals on the week end and freeze them, that way you know what you are eating. Have good snacks on hand and bad snacks out of the house or in a high cupboard. That way when you come home hungry you won't grab the bad stuff. You can also buy Nutrisysten in some stores. However I didn't care for it. There are a lot of options out there. Just get in the habit of reading the lables before you buy it. You'll do just fine. Good Luck
  • KatFierce
    KatFierce Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think its green giant brand, a microwave bag ( 2 portions about 210 cals each) of macaroni broccoli and cheese sauce, I do that in a container and a thing of cauliflower eat half now half later soooo good and quick and cheap.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Black Bean Burgers, fish, chicken, etc. Lots of frozen veggies in steam bags. Run by a grocery store and grab a rotisserie chicken. Deli meat... get it cut thick to chop up for a salad or use the 100 calorie flat breads. Eggs are always easy to cook up. We love Morning Star veggie sausage too. Kashi frozen meals aren't too bad.

i actually run into the grocery store 2 or 3 times a week. So I pick up small bags of veggies that I can microwave. Lettuce for salads. Just stuff I can throw together easily. They don't tend to go that bad if I go more often. Items I get from our farmers market have a tendency to last longer in the fridge too.

You can cook in bulk on the weekend and reheat left overs during the week.
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. Stuff goes bad too fast if my schedule changes and I don't eat at home like I thought I was going to.

I made PB&J on wheat (one slice folded in half). Wrap in cling wrap and then a ziplock bag and it freezes perfectly. Just grab in the AM and it's defrosted when it's time to eat.

I freeze corn (on the cob or kernals). Just a quick heat in the microwave and you're good to go. Sometimes I'll add once slice of cheese to the kernals. :) Mmmm...

You can cook chicken, shred it, and freeze it in portions. Good to grab and microwave or toast to defrost to go with veggies or sandwiches, etc.

Any frozen veggie packs (steamers or whatnot). Just check the sodium levels. Each brand is different.

Leftovers. I will freeze leftovers from the few days I DO cook. Perfect for a quick reheat later.

Low cal/sodium soups, baked beans, etc. I keep a few in the cupboard for days when I'm in a rush or out of groceries. :)

You can also google healthy frozen meals.

Good luck!
  • Molly_Pitcher
    Molly_Pitcher Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I know people are going to freak, but I only eat packaged food. I don't cook, nope not even a little. I work like crazy and hate anything domestic!
    I eat fiber one bars, 4 oz packs of cottage cheese (2%) little bags of carrots, buy mini hummus containers, oikos yogurt, skim cheese sticks, a piece of fruit usually, apple sauce, and occasionally will bust out a microwave weight watchers dinner. There is plenty of prepackaged food that you can grab and go that is healthy. It's going to cost more but I am happy to pay to not ahve to cook!
  • ninelives58
    ninelives58 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    If you mean microwave meals, I don't ever eat them. Too expensive and devoid of nutrition IMO. If I'm on the go and can't cook, I grab some cheese and bread, or a big salad with odds and ends I have in the fridge added, or greek yogurt with some fruit and/or nuts. If I've got just a little time for cooking, omelettes are quick and all kinds of different things can be added like leftover veggies or bits of meat or cheese. That'll keep you full a lot longer than a microwave meal any day.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    packs of tuna - sweet and spicy, lemon pepper, ect...
    packs of nuts - emerald nuts ect. - buy bulk and make your own
    fruit - its in its own natural packages same with msany vegetables
    most places there is a salad bar within reasonable distance
    hard boiled eggs - great packaged item !!
    kashi bars - many types to pick

instead of buying prepack meals, buy a vac sealer and make your own.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    If I absoultely have to then I reach for The Food Doctor Wholesome Pot at lunch time or Innocent Veg Pots but generally I prefer to make my own as I know what is in what I cook.
  • soontobesam
    soontobesam Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Probably the only prepared foods in my house nowadays (before I lived with my boyfriend it was a different / disgusting story) would be frozen veggies (broc & cheese, mixed veggies, etc etc) and we both like pork egg rolls so we get those every so often.

And also GV oatmeal. I don't know if that counts...
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I buy those foil packs of tuna and mix a little tzaziki in it. So good and good protein. Sometimes I eat it plain and soemtimes with a small amount reduced fat triscuits.

apples
    string cheese
    nuts

Oh and I do eat lean cusines sometimes. I try not too very often becasue they're crazy high in sodium though.

Progresso has some good soups...then again high with the sodium too.
  • mjbell642
    mjbell642 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Marie callendar steamer chicken or beef strips is 290 calories. Less than healthy choice or lean cuisine. A little more money but tastes better and less calorie.
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    We have very busy lives too, we just found this website to order fresh snacks from, http://lifestyleelevate.com/
    Its helped us a lot when it comes to putting meals together for the week.
  • thankyou4thevenom
    thankyou4thevenom Posts: 1,581 Member
    Options
    I work stupid hours and refuse to spend my days off cooking as I don't like doing it. So I am on Diet Chef. It's all preprepared food, simple heat and eat. So unlike most people in this thread telling you that you absolutely must precook, I'm not going to.

There are plenty of healthy foods that are pre-made. You've just got to learn to read the packaging. I like Marks and Spencers Count on Us range. As for nutrition, well frozen vegetables are key here. You can get them in easy steam bags that take no time at all to microwave.
  • 3ofmine
    3ofmine Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Lately I have been trying to buy all fresh foods but my schedule is forcing me to throw out tons of yummy foods since I barely eat at home! I'm curious what packaged "just heat" foods is on everyone's shopping list. Also frozen meals you heat up on the stove are fine too.

I'm thinking of buying some of those Voila! Chicken Alfredo bags and portioning it up. I would attempt to cook all from scratch but I hate my own cooking :P

Is there one day out of the week that you have you can cook? If so you don't really need package meals. There is tons of crock pot meals you can do that you can mix up and keep the freezer put them in the crock pot in the morning it's ready when you come home. Also when I buy chicken I cook it all and keep a few breasts, shred some and chop some put them in containers and use them to make meals with all week. When the meat is cooked it doesn't take long at all to heat up some frozen carrots, corn, green beans or brussell sprouts. You could even cook some up for the next couple of days in advance and put them in the fridge and warm when ready. A sauce to go over it is a quick then also. My kids play sports and if I don't cook/prepare for the upcoming week we would never eat at home..I know I tried eating right during football season late last year. With 2hr practices/3-4 days a week and 1 game a week it's not possible. I also like to buy the bags of frozen cooked shrimp put them on a salad and by lunch they are read just add dressing and you got lunch. I do that with chicken to that I have precooked but shrimp is really healthy and they do have it precooked which makes it TONS easier!

Angel