Vegetarian high-protein diet ideas? :]

Options
Verity1111
Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
I'm a vegetarian and no I won't change my mind. lol. Now that we have that out of the way, I want to go on a semi-high protein diet. I would say at least 30% protein for sure. Currently I am at or a little below my protein because, well, to put it lightly I am cheap and don't want to spend the money on the foods that are high protein instead of what I like more. lol. SO now I will change that and I want a plan. I will plan my meals ahead of time so I make sure I have enough protein each day. I know the lightlife hotdogs I buy are 8g of protein each and only 45calories, so those are awesome. I would get about 9 of those in a pack. I also buy boca burgers, which are 70 calories and I *think* 11 or 12g of protein, give or take. I don't usually like tofu, but I am willing to give it a try if anyone has nice recipes that will give it some flavor....when I had it, it was very hard-to-chew AND chewy like thick like gum for some reason and I did not like the texture. I'm not sure about seitan, but I love it when I have it at restaurants. I only know of one vegetarian protein shake powder, biochem, and I haven't tried it, so I don't know how much protein is in it per serving, but if you know of any or have any ideas for vegetarian protein, please let me know.

Replies

• Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lentils, beans, nuts, quinoa, spinach. Here is a good list: http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm
  • goddamnelectric
    Options
    As long as you're not a vegan it's pretty easy if you're not opposed to cottage cheese and eggs. Both are inexpensive. I also buy whey protein powder and have a shake usually every day unless I hit my protein goal with my food alone. As far as tofu goes, I love it in tacos. Just cook it with seasoning like you would ground beef. I will also marinade it for several hours in whatever kind of sauce you like (there's one that's kikkoman teriyaki pineapple that's really good) then bake it. I always get extra firm tofu. Cook it about 30-45 min flip it half way through then put it in a rice and veggie bowl. It shouldn't have a bad texture if you cook it long enough.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    Thanks both of you! I had tofu only at restaurants (one or two of them) and one was a sort off chain restaurant, so maybe they just didn't make it as well as I could if I cooked it on my own.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question. Are you veg. Or vegan? Because veg. Can have whey protein from milk right? And vegans can't?
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I use Nutribiotic Rice Protein. 12g protein per heaping tbsp.

I also like tofu, tempeh, seitan, and beans.

If you eat dairy, cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are great protein sources.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Mung beans are the cheapest form of protein you can get. The Asia World Market near me sells several varieties but a package of green ones I picked up before had like 16 servings with each serving providing 26g protein, 55g carbs and 23g fiber. So that was over 200g of protein for under $4. It also had 25% iron.
  • cakesmooth
    cakesmooth Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Mmm, mung beans! Yes, lots of lentils and Greek yogurt. Light soy milk has more protein than almond and coconut milk. Cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs! I was a pregnant vegatarian with my son and had to find many ways to meet my high protein requirements to try to avoid preeclampsia. I freakin love mung beans. :)
  • Talazws
    Talazws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan, and I get plenty of protein. I have had blood work done as well, and there is nothing I am lacking! I was raised a vegetarian and made the switch to vegan for good a year and a half ago, and I am healthier than I have ever been. I also have a gluten intolerance which has made it hard for me to digest diary in the first place (a weird side affect of having your digestivie system ravaged by gluten), so the switch was kind of necessary. You can get plenty of protein from non-animal sources, but if you choose to eat a vegetarian diet that includes diary, you will have a wider variety of sources. Good luck!
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Tofu, quinoa, seitan, greek yogurt, soymilk, edamame, and various nuts are all good options. A quick way to prepare tofu that I usually opt for is just to chop up a green onion for flavor and cook with 1tsp olive oil. Delish as any side dish.
    For quick and easy meals, I like the brand Gardein- they have loads of fresh and frozen flavored boca meats.
    Also, the brands Tofurky, Lightlife, and Yves all make deli-style veggie slices that are convenient for subs and sandwiches. I just had a vegan sausage by Tofurky yesterday and it was 29 grams of pure protein goodness :) It would be great to put in salads or to have with rice and veg, I think.
  • Ravenesque_
    Ravenesque_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I'm a quorn fiend. i mix cottage cheese, eggs, and quorn mince into some sort of pizza omelette thing and snarf it down.

Also have soups and lentils and some grains, im not a huge carb fan.

I am usually down on my protein goals, but I dont usually mind :)
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
    Siggi's Icelandic Skyr yogurt (all flavors) and Fage's 0% Greek yogurt (plain) both have 14-18 grams of protein for 100 calories a punch.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I've had Siggi's before, and its more of a cheese than yogurt. Its good but considerably more expensive than any Greek-style yogurt variety.

Another cheap source of protein for vegetarians is Julian Bakery Smart Carb Cinnamon Raisin bread: $8 for 14 slices-each slice contains 14g protein (that's 196g of protein). I'm a meat-eater and only a few chicken products at certain stores offer that much protein for the price.
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    also, with tofu, you can sneak it into other foods. Like spaghetti sauce. soups. sneak it on a pizza.. Toss some into a smoothie :)
  • sinclare
    sinclare Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    and I get pea protein powder, from the health food store. But it's expensive :(
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried to make your own seitan? Super easy, super cheap! Message me if you have any questions on how to make it! :)

Also out of all of the fake meats, tofurky and field roast are by far my favorite, and really the only ones I eat. The ingredient list isn't scary. Field Roast sausages are fantastic!! 23-26g protein in each one. A little high in sodium, but great for protein
  • Doing_The_Unstruck
    Doing_The_Unstruck Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Eggs, legumes, nuts. I use and enjoy a protein powder called 'Plantfusion'. The vanilla bean flavor is decent.

Boca burgers and the like are processed garbage IMO. Google black bean burger recipes and make your own. A million times tastier.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Indian food is super high in protein and you can make it vegetarian super easy. You can sub tofu for paneer to mix things up a bit. This is fantastic http://onehotstove.blogspot.com/2009/10/tandoori-style-tofu.html
  • mcottle292
    mcottle292 Posts: 60
    Options
    I feel like I consume plenty of protein. Please feel free to read my diary.
  • mcottle292
    mcottle292 Posts: 60
    Options
    Also, this is one of my favorite tofu recipes. Vegetarian lettuce wraps.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2012/02/vegetarian-lettuce-wraps/
  • MaitreyeeMAYHEM
    MaitreyeeMAYHEM Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Homemade hummus is amazing!!! I would also try different types of beans, tofu and protein shakes.