gaining muscle during calorie deficit?

Options
Just read on another thread that gaining muscle while on a calorie deficit is impossible.

But I've significantly noticed that my abs are stronger and harder.. my calves are more pronounced and stronger, and my biceps/triceps as well.

Am I doing something wrong? I've lost weight steadily. I'm kind of confused.

Replies

• slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    Erm...huh??? No, your body changes as you lose weight and gain muscle. A pound of fat is the same weight as a pound of muscle, but the pound of muscle is leaner.

If people do NOT exercise, they likely will not build muscles as they lose. But if you do exercise, even if you don't lose weight, you still build muscle somewhere along the way.
  • Gaining muscle while in a caloric deficit is the territory of genetic freaks. ('Freak' in the way that an NFL running back or competition body builder is a freak) It can happen, but most people who notice what you're noticing now are seeing better definition from fat loss. Your lifts could be going up from just getting better at the mechanical side of performing lifts, almost like muscle memory. Have you done resistance/weight training before or is this your first time? Generally speaking (and this certainly applies to me) gaining bulk while cutting cals is tough.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Here's an article about it:

http://www.gain-weight-muscle-fast.com/lose-fat-gain-muscle.html

In studies that have been done, people in calorie deficit lost lean muscle mass. However, if they do strength training, they didn't lose as much strength as people who dieted and didn't strength train.

So doing strength training is still a good thing to do while dieting, even if doesn't mean you will be gaining pounds of muscle.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Basically, to really bulk up and body build, you need extra calories. You can build some muscle strength while in a calorie deficit, but to really get serious and add major muscle, you would have to increase calories. That's why they say you can't build (serious) muscle while dieting.
  • dlestermfp
    Options
    It depends on your muscle building goals I think.

As Brenda said, if you want to really bulk up, you need calories to do that. I don't think you will find anyone to contradict that statement.

But, if you are eating a healthy diet, your body is getting the nutrients it needs. If you are in a calorie deficit you are not getting all the calories you need, so your body will burn fat to make up that difference.

Adding lean body mass is, for almost anyone, not a rapid process. Muscle builds slowly. Every time you exercise your body makes adjustments to make you stronger for that exercise in the future. That comes from increases in muscle as well as increases in capillaries to feed oxygen to those muscles. The next day you are always marginally better for having done some exercise, no matter what shape you are current in.

You can lose fat and build muscle, if you have realistic goals for both. I ride my bike to/from work every day and do weight lifting two nights a week and run on a treadmill two nights a week as well. I could not do any of that when I started losing weight, but while losing and exercising I have been building muscle and increasing cardiovasclar health. It didn't happen overnight, but it did happen.
  • mmnichol
    mmnichol Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I think there are exceptions to everything. In my case, I'm a 52 YO female, who is/was "skinny fat". I've been working out/exercising for the past 6-9 months. I've lost 10 lbs and the muscles in my arms are definitely harder but i still have fat there, my legs are thinner and stronger but i still have fat there, my calves are hard to shave now!!! So that article/website regarding not being able to gain muscle while in a calorie deficit didn't necessarily apply to me, but I might be the exception because of my age and previous body composition.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more then fat. SO 5 lbs of fat mass is huge compared to 5 lbs of muscle and muscle burns 50 calories per pound while fat is 2 calories per lb. It is really hard to put on muscle without some sort of weight resistence training and eating lots of veggies, fruits and at least 6-9 oz of protein per day. Just like the big Rhino that eats grass but his genetics allows him to get big well your genetics plays a huge rule. But just because a women is big does not mean she has much muscle mass. :noway:
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    It's as simple as this:

Fat loss is 'catabolic'--a breakdown process. It results from the body's need to break down fat (and muscle) for energy because the diet does not supply enough to sustain normal bodily functions.

Muscle growth is 'anabolic'--a building process. It results from the body's need to build muscle in response to stress AND an excess of energy (protein in this case) available to utilize.

You can't have excess energy at the same time that you don't have enough energy.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    I'm probably on the verge of doing it, but I'm a genetic freak.

For the last 4 months I've been on about a 500 calorie a day deficit and eating most of my exercise calories. I have maintained my weight within a few pounds, and gotten measurably more muscular - not just in terms of definition, but in terms of actual measured size (bicep & chest). I have lost significant bodyfat (measured waist) which has led to muscular definition I've never seen before.

I realize that I'm probably not really in calorie deficit at all. Logically, if I was, I'd just about have to lose weight. As Sweetie said " You can't have excess energy at the same time that you don't have enough energy. ". My BMR is probably lower than MFP's estimate, so my "Deficit" food intake is actually meeting my needs.

When the crew of The biggest loser gets all "Rocky IV" on you with the testing and the meters and the blood work etc. etc. then you'll know exactly what your picture looks like. But until then we have to go by estimates, and in my case I think MFP's estimate was a little off. Maybe yours is a little off too.

Interesting stuff...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Just read on another thread that gaining muscle while on a calorie deficit is impossible.

But I've significantly noticed that my abs are stronger and harder.. my calves are more pronounced and stronger, and my biceps/triceps as well.

Am I doing something wrong? I've lost weight steadily. I'm kind of confused.

Strength increases are not the same as muscle growth. Strength is largely based on the nervous system, and size and strength do not come hand-in-hand. Muscle definition is usually due to fat loss that allows the muscle to be more visible. You can have some muscle growth due to increase glycogen storage, but it's not actual growth due to protein synthesis.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Yep. You don't get "abs" by building your abdomenal muscles - though that will help a little. You get abs by losing the blanket of bodyfat that was obscuring your abdomenal muscles.

You're probably not getting bigger muscles - very hard for a female to build a lot of muscle mass (it's a hormonal thing, sorry). You're probably losing a layer of bodyfat - and removing that fat is making your muscles more visible.

You're also getting stronger and more toned & fit - and that's fantastic. But "Toned" is not "Bigger",,, two different things.
  • njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    You get stronger with weight training but the part about definition and calorie deficit is more related to the loss of fat over the muscle and becoming more pronounced. It's all good if your losing weight and getting fit right?:happy:

202554.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Diet Plans