Swimming Advice

Options
ClareB13
ClareB13 Posts: 202 Member
I've been training since January for a half mile open water swim in the (very cold!) Irish Sea.
The swim takes place on Monday afternoon and I'm trying to decide whether to go for one last swim in the pool tomorrow (Sunday) morning or not.
I always swim on a Sunday morning but I don't know if it's better to take it as a rest day or not?
I'd have gone today but I started work at 8:30 this morning and I'm here till 11 tonight so no chance of it.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• teacherspet50
    Options
    Can you do some other kind of training on Sunday, running, walking something for stamina and endurance. I am a lap swimmer, and obviously not as adept as you are so I have no clue what you might do.

I do wish you luck though and good health, please let us know how you do, okay?
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I would still go to the pool and do a stretched out and easy workout - work on long strokes and stretching out, and that should set you up nicely for your swim on Monday. Best of luck!

Edited to add - we have a group here called "Swimmers!" if you'd like to join!
  • Kenjammin
    Kenjammin Posts: 3
    Options
    im not a swimmer but i try to ride a bike all week after work. sometimes i have to skip a day due to having to stay late at work and i always seem to perform better when i return back to riding as long as its only a day or two lapse. -stay safe!
  • ClareB13
    Options
    I'm not what anyone would call a swimmer by any stretch of the imagination but I do enjoy it
    It's a school event and my students all wanted me to do it so I figured I would - it's been a couple of years now since I've taken part.
    I think I'll either just go for a gentle swim in the morning or take the dog for a long walk instead perhaps
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you got some good advice here. We're all rooting for you and waiting to hear how it goes. Good luck!
  • ClareB13
    Options
    Well I did it....it was very, very cold but really good fun!

My main concern was showing myself up and being last but I ended up 19th out of 34 (and 3rd out of the 6 teachers who took part - I even beat one of my super fit, insanely sporty and active colleagues which was really exciting - although he wasn't so happy!)

I've done it before a couple of years ago and have managed to shave over 2 minutes off my time which I'm really happy about :)
  • arctiknitter
    arctiknitter Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    So fantastic! I am really proud of you and awestruck that you were brave enough to swim in the Irish Sea. I am so afraid of sinking (even with all the fat to keep me afloat!).
    Are you inspired to do it again next year?
    L