CAN'T STOP EATING-Help

Options
Ok guys, I have these moments where I pick up everything in the kitchen and scarf it down. I can't help myself. I literally tell myself "Katie, this is bad for you. You're going to gain weight. You're not hungry." And I don't listen. I also can never be full. I can eat a great healthy meal but not get full. (Though when I eat unhealthy food I'm full.) Can anyone help me?

Replies

• broookiepoo
    broookiepoo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Do you drink plenty of water? And depending on your age and if you support yourself, just go to the grocery store when you're not hungry at all and get healthier foods!
  • katiekrusher
    katiekrusher Posts: 143
    Options
    I have mainly healthy food, only a few junk items. So when I mean "everything in the kitchen" it's usually a mix of good and bad food.
  • sarrylove
    sarrylove Posts: 88
    Options
    I agree with the above post! You can't eat what you don't buy so make sure you only have healthier option foods in your kitchen. Also, when you feel these moments coming on try to distract yourself with a walk or with a hobby you enjoy. Drinking water also helps!
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    This is one thing I need to work on.. I live with another person so there is always some junk food tempting me.. Water never helps for me.. I think I'm crazy.
  • broookiepoo
    broookiepoo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Also I can relate to you on feeling full with unhealthy foods.. I think it's more in our head. Like we probably associate "I'm full" with
    "That was so good, I'm happy now, lets move on."
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    Also I can relate to you on feeling full with unhealthy foods.. I think it's more in our head. Like we probably associate "I'm full" with
    "That was so good, I'm happy now, lets move on."

So true, but I love fruits and I could eat them non stop if I wanted..Not even those make me full.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that you're an emotional eater?

Just like so many people have trigger foods that they can't stop eating, I have trigger emotions that cause me to binge like thi. I have to figure out what I'm feeling while I'm eating before I can stop. I'm a big fan of journaling while I feel like eating non-stop. You might see if that's omething that would work for you.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Pop a piece of gum in your mouth and try to get yourself distracted ASAP. Its usually boredom that causes that,occupy your mind you'll forget the food.
  • katiekrusher
    Options

Just like so many people have trigger foods that they can't stop eating, I have trigger emotions that cause me to binge like thi. I have to figure out what I'm feeling while I'm eating before I can stop. I'm a big fan of journaling while I feel like eating non-stop. You might see if that's omething that would work for you.

That might be, but I don't think I have anything going through my mind but "EAT (you're gonna get fat) EAT(i'm not hungry) EAT(stop eating) EAT" when its happening.
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    Pop a piece of gum in your mouth and try to get yourself distracted ASAP. Its usually boredom that causes that,occupy your mind you'll forget the food.

I've never thought of that one. Don't know if it will work, but I will try it out next time. :)
  • lcn1220
    lcn1220 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough sleep at night? 7-8 hrs? Your brain does housekeeping when you sleep. When you don't sleep enough, it doesn't get the chance to do that housekeeping, and it's going to need extra fuel i.e. sugar...and you might feel the need to inhale everything in sight, especially starchy carbs. Your body is a lot craftier than you are and won't settle for caffeine.

So if you're not bingeing out of emotional issues/anxiety, lack of sleep might be a reason. Another reason is too stringent a diet combined with too much exercise. If you aren't giving your body enough fuel (and of the right kind), it's going to show you what it thinks of your diet. :P

Don't feel bad. I've struggled with this from time to time in the past. But for me I didn't get the handle on this out of nowhere binge eating until I made myself get the proper amount of sleep every night.
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Coffee seems to stem my appetite. My appetite also seemed to go down once I started taking fish oil caps....I don't know if there's anything to back that up.
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options

I've never thought of that one. Don't know if it will work, but I will try it out next time. :)

It works for me. If I notice myself feeling the urge to munch fr no reason I make a list of things that need to get done (fold laundry, organize the closet etc) and do a couple of them. Usually gets rid of the urge to munch
  • katiekrusher
    Options

So if you're not bingeing out of emotional issues/anxiety, lack of sleep might be a reason. Another reason is too stringent a diet combined with too much exercise. If you aren't giving your body enough fuel (and of the right kind), it's going to show you what it thinks of your diet. :P

I exercise A LOT. Maybe I'm not fueling myself right..
  • katiekrusher
    Options
    Coffee seems to stem my appetite. My appetite also seemed to go down once I started taking fish oil caps....I don't know if there's anything to back that up.

You're right, ever since I started drinking coffee I started to eat more...I'm a coffee addict though, it's hard to live without my morning cup!
  • teinepalagi
    teinepalagi Posts: 86 Member
    Options

That might be, but I don't think I have anything going through my mind but "EAT (you're gonna get fat) EAT(i'm not hungry) EAT(stop eating) EAT" when its happening.

I get like this too....it's almost a numbing reaction to what's going on around me. I eat, I feel better.....but I haven't dealt with my true emotion (usually frustration, stress, anger). I have not mastered this (I still occassionally go a little nuts), but at leaast I acknowledged that it was a stress response. It works to calm me....but the consequences are not something I'm willing to live with. So, I decided that I would try other calming responses as opposed to eating everything in sight.......it's gotten better! Good luck!
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way, eating out of boredom....if I'm home, I tend to eat more. I'm a constant grazer. However, try the gum idea and also brush your teeth. For me, if I have a clean minty mouth, I don't want to junk it up and food doesn't taste that good right after brushing. Sometimes that helps.
  • Kathy53925
    Kathy53925 Posts: 241 Member
    Options

This is what I was gonna say too.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Coffee works pretty well for me, too. Sadly, so does removing everything I like to eat from the house and replacing it with foods I will eat when hungry but am otherwise pretty meh about.
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I was a boredom eater too (not the same as an emotional eater) once it kicked it for me, it didn't matter if it was healthy or junk, I could just keep going back for more until I either ran out of anything that I wanted to stuff in my gob or got distracted. Logging what I ate pretty much killed it for me but I still open the fridge when I get bored. Try the gum thing, I never did and it sounds hopeful. I had my best luck with getting out of the house or exercising because doing something shut it down for me.