Type 1 Diabetics out there?

Options
mehaffeymk
mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
Hey yall! I'm a type 1 diabetic for 12 years and wondering how many other T1s are out there. I wanna know how yall are dealing with blood sugars and everything while working out and changing your diet!

That being said, I wanna be friends with anyone and everyone!! Add me!

Replies

• erikaarff
    erikaarff Posts: 1
    Options
    Hey there!

I have been a type 1 since the age of 6/7- so 13 years! In the last 3 years I have become very aware of my body- taking care of my diabetes and diet/exercise! I use the insulin pump to control my diabetes as well as the Contour Link glucose metere. In the last 2 years, my TDD went from 101 units average to 48 units. I do not eat as many fast-acting carbs so when I do eat things like rice, quinoa, etc- I only have to take a small amount of insulin rather than full insulin! As a child, cardio used to make my blood sugars sky rocket and as a competitive dancer and down-hill ski racer, I was always running high when I did that. But ever since I started lifting weights and doing more endurance cardio training, I can't eat enough sugar to keep my blood above 4 mg (Canadian #s). I don't take insulin prior to my cardio work outs and use a temporary basal on my insulin pump when I lift weights.

I am also Celiac so I have been taking the last year before going away to University to make sure I really know how to control it. I'm finding it hard to loose weight as my low blood sugars sometimes hit at the wrong time, but it's just all part of the journey. My a1C reading was the best its EVER been last check up so I just try and remember those things that matter!

all the best :)
  • jiggalude
    jiggalude Posts: 53
    Options
    I have been Diabetic since age 3, so 22 years now. I have found my blood sugar levels to be running tons better with the changes of made to my diet and exercise. I am now taking about 2/3 the amount of insulin that I took about 2 months ago and seeing overall better numbers. However, I am still struggling with my morning numbers. I will go to bed at 105 and wake up over 250. My bs have run on the higher side for a long while due to never being properly controlled as a child followed by lack of health insurance for a couple year period. However, when we decided to get pregnant it was the best it had ever been, then after our daughter was born I began to let it slip again. Now I am making the changes I need to live a long, full, healthy life! (And, it's surprisingly easier than I thought it would be)