Fasting for Ramadon

zahea
zahea Posts: 29 Member
I am fasting for Ramadon this year, for those who are not familiar, its a month long fast where a muslim can not eat during daylight hours. A rough example : start fast at 3:59 am, break fast at 8:45 pm. The purpose of this is spiritual, not for the purpose of losing weight. Im just worried that I don't know enough about the side affects and i don't want to gain the weight back!

18579718.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Replies

• littledeak
    littledeak Posts: 17 Member
    I do not know but I think you will not gain any weight back. You are eating only one meal each day. Visually estimate amounts and don't go back for seconds.
    I lived in Palestine a short time. I miss the call to prayer. It is a powerful reminder for people of all faiths to worship God. I wish you well.
  • Glamorous_RN
    Glamorous_RN Posts: 204
    Hi hunny no you won't gain any weight back as long as you eat a healthy suhr like dates and veggies and fruits and water then when you break your fast eat healthy and don't overheat all night like others do and catch up on water!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    everyone i know who does ramadan makes up for their calories once the sun goes down, so there isnt any weight loss or weight gain.
  • I dont eat suhoor since its so late at night and I usually sleep right after. Probably really unhealthy.
  • zahea
    Ok my number one worry is that ill mess up my metabolism and it will go slower. I have worked extremely hard to get where im at today and dont want to mess it up badly by fasting (even though i shouldnt be worried about weight gain and should be focused on the religious aspect.) but still, im here to lose weight yo!
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    I was gonna make a topic also..but I was gonna wait until July...lol

But I don't know what to do...I'm so confused on how to eat and I really don't wanna gain any of the weight back! By the way I'm really not excited about Ramadan being in July! It's soooo hot lol
  • africaa
    everyone i know who does ramadan makes up for their calories once the sun goes down, so there isnt any weight loss or weight gain.

It's not easy to eat back calories though...most people I know won't even make it to 1000 cals for the day b/c technically you aren't supposed to pig out
  • zahea
    Girl i know! and i work at Mcdonalds and will be working there during the day. Imagine that! i hardly eat there as it is but its going to look like heaven when im fasting. But, the ultimate goal is to be closer to Allah which will be better for us in the end. I wish you the best
  • Glamorous_RN
    Yup but if you eat 3 small meals before bed and depending on what you eat, you'll have a good amount ;-)
  • africaa
    Girl i know! and i work at Mcdonalds and will be working there during the day. Imagine that! i hardly eat there as it is but its going to look like heaven when im fasting. But, the ultimate goal is to be closer to Allah which will be better for us in the end. I wish you the best

You know you'll get extra blessings for avoiding temptations! lol I wish you the best also :)
  • Glamorous_RN
    And don't forget you gatta eat suhr otherwise you'll reallyyyyy slow down your metabolism
  • Glamorous_RN
    That's true! I give you credit
  • airlily
    airlily Posts: 212 Member
    You'll be okay! The only thing that will be hard is having Ramadan during the Summer Solstice! It's easy when it's during the Winter Solstice, but summer?! BOO! :D
  • zahea
    I also workout 6 times a week (45 mins fatburn on eliptical) then i have once a week sessions with my personal trainer. How should i modify my workouts during my fast? And does anyone have any info about how when a person fasts, and breaks they're fast, whatever they eat after the food (no matter what it is) is stored as fat for survival mode. Does this make sense?
  • Reignofmongo
    Reignofmongo Posts: 137
    Ok my number one worry is that ill mess up my metabolism and it will go slower. I have worked extremely hard to get where im at today and dont want to mess it up badly by fasting (even though i shouldnt be worried about weight gain and should be focused on the religious aspect.) but still, im here to lose weight yo!

Your metabolism won't be effected. This fasting for Ramadon is very similar to IF, a program created by Leangains. You fast most the day and then eat around dinner. You'll just be eating a bit later. Even during an absolute fast, or very low cal diet, your metabolism will only slow by like 5%. People get too worked up about that so called, "starvation mode." It's just broscience.
  • zahea
    I eat 1400 cals a day to lose 2 lbs a week. So should i like eat 700 cals for breakfast, and then 700 for dinner? or what should i think about when deciding how much calories to eat?
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    My faith has a similar fasting period. I always gain weight. You're just so hungry once the sun goes down! I'd say your best bet is to have a large, protein heavy breakfast before sunrise, as protein digests more slowly. Also, I'm personally much less likely to overeat around others, so perhaps breaking the fast with others would help. Good luck!
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Stay within your calorie goals and you'll do fine! :) 700 for breakfast and 700 for dinner should work perfectly for you. Or maybe eat more of your calories for breakfast to keep you full all day long, and then a bit less for dinner? 900 for breakfast and 500 for dinner?
  • zahea
    Thank you! And i already know (or hope!) i wont pig out. I went from eating around 4000 calories a day to eating 1200-1400 calories a day. So im immune to pigging out! :p and how much do u gain after the fast?
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Duing ramadan I have a few strats that I think you can use

First off, your metabolism doesn't slow down during fasting period. You not eating during the day light has no affect on your metabolism and neither does eating multiple times a day. Even if you eat all your calories at the same time, it has absolutely no affect.

That being said, I usually try to have a BIG meal for sehri (suhur). I make sure that I eat atleast 1/3rd of my daily calories.

For iftar, I eat about 1/3rd of my calories and then the remaining for after Isha. This has worked well for me to keep me mentally satisfied, help me during Iftar parties and help me coupe for the good food available during this month

The main reason most muslims gain weight is because for iftar and suhur we eat massive quantities of deep fried foods and sweets etc. If you're counting calories, this problem should be fixed up.

Remember, you can always workout after Maghrib if you do go over your calories. A big thing you can use to help is that Taraweeh and other Prayers can be counted as workouts too (I feel kinda dirty doing it for some reason though lol)

My personal big problem is that during ramadan my water intake has to go down since if I try to remain at my current water intake, I feel thirsty during the day. If I decrease my water intake, I don't have that thirst as much anymore so during Ramadan I happily decrease my water intake since according to Imam Ghazali less water and food is good for the soul and body :)

Hope this helped. Good luck and Ramadan Mubarak in advance :)