mixed gyms...

Options
ayfa
ayfa Posts: 15 Member
I used to go to a female gym but now i go to a mixed gym. I did this for convenience, the mixed gym I currently go to is open 24/7 and they've popped up all over my neighbourhood and is relatively close to work as well. However, I'm having a bit of difficulty adjusting to the fact that its mixed.

when I'm there everything is generally fine, I dont really mind it too much but before i actually get there, it plays on my mind repeatedly! in fact, sometimes i use it as an exuse :(

Can anyone else relate...or is it just me? lol

Replies

• mandasimba
    mandasimba Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Where do you reside? I've never even heard of seperate sex gyms, though I am quite sheltered.

If you think that people are judging and looking at you, and that is why you don't like it, my best say would be, don't worry about it as quite frankly, nobody is... unless you look like a total oddball, dressed in 80s workout gear or zubas or something like that.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    honestly i find mixed gyms have better equipment that i use, but i say that because i really love weight lifting and most ladies gyms i've visited have nothing by way of power racks, oly bars, weight plates, cable machines, chin up bars, etc and very few dumbbells over 15 pounds. there are however smith machines, pretty plastic weights, body bars and tons of other stuff not suited to my needs.

with that said the worse thing about a mixed gym is that every so often you do get a guy (always the WRONG guy) wearing loose legged shorts, no underwear and is spread eagle in some location where you have no choice but to see.
  • ayfa
    Options
    with that said the worse thing about a mixed gym is that every so often you do get a guy (always the WRONG guy) wearing loose legged shorts, no underwear and is spread eagle in some location where you have no choice but to see.

haha dont want to jinx myself but thankfully havent had any of those run ins yet
  • ijiiii
    ijiiii Posts: 61
    Options
    I never heard of one gender only gyms, wtf.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, assuming you go to a gym in a nice part of town. You will probably witness some idiot guys now and then, but when don't you in any other public place?
  • ayfa
    Options
    Where do you reside? I've never even heard of seperate sex gyms, though I am quite sheltered.

In Australia, we have 2 gym franchises here which are just for females. However the opening hrs and their locations are not very convenient and aren't in every area, theyre few and far between and quite expensive too
  • ayfa
    Options
    I think its prob becz I do a lot of cardio and the weights are behind the cardio machines so when i know a guy is sitting right behind me while im running on the treadmil...its just uncomfortable.

I know it's all in my head...im just adjusting to it i suppose...
  • ayfa
    Options
    I never heard of one gender only gyms, wtf.

I don't think you have anything to worry about, assuming you go to a gym in a nice part of town. You will probably witness some idiot guys now and then, but when don't you in any other public place?

You're right! Good point! Thanks for that, I needed to hear that actually...im prob using it as an exuse haha
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I thought Curves was an American company?

I was a Fernwood member for a long time but they're exxy and nowhere near me in Perth. I'm a member of Anytime now and as a gym they're better because the equipment is better. Fernwood is catered towards cardio and light weights. You might be lucky and they have a Smith machine. I've been to five different ones and not one of them had a squat rack.

It does get better. I had a hard time adjusting but now I wouldn't go back.