P90X v. insanity v. asylum?

Options
Which should I do? I have been interested in trying them out but don't know which I should choose.

I am currently doing supersets. I left 3 times a week back/chest/triceps, then biceps and shoulders and legs and abs the other day. I also do cardio several times a week. I love lifting weights. And my fitness goals are to lose fat while building muscle and strength.

Does it really matter which program I try or should I just stick to the weight room and start another program. I am on week 4 of my supersets and need to change it up in another week or two.

Replies

• LeRebelle2Legit2Quit
    Options
    I would say that either one would do well for you, Insanity is definitely no walk in the park. I would say go for P90X first and then work on Insanity.

19565812.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Hollie_downunder
    Options
    I'm doing Insanity at the moment - its more cardio than P90X

I'm on my second month and have had amazing results already, plan is to do Asylum after this (i've heard its hard in a different way!)
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on what you want. Insanity is fast paced and from what ive heard p90x is slower and more strength focused. I am doing insanity at the moment, and yes its tough but im seeing results. Asylum ive heard is very very difficult. So i guess it depends on your fitness levels.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    You'll see great results with all of them. P90X is more about weights, though, than Insanity. If you're supersetting, you could just increase the mass...
  • Amyl32283
    Amyl32283 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am starting insanity tomorrow after work. I attempted it once but had a million things going on where I would miss a day or 2 and then went on vacation. Now, I don't have anything going on. So, Im excited to start this. I am definitely looking to see results. I need to tone badly and lose my last 15 pounds
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    ChefSuzzieQ Posts: 119
    Options
    You'll see great results with all of them. P90X is more about weights, though, than Insanity. If you're supersetting, you could just increase the mass...

That I am lifting on my supersets? I try to go up by 5lbs each week.
    Would it be too much to do insanity and still lift? SINCE I get the impression it is mostly cardio?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options

That I am lifting on my supersets? I try to go up by 5lbs each week.
    Would it be too much to do insanity and still lift? SINCE I get the impression it is mostly cardio?

If you do a lot of cardio, you'll risk reducing your lean muscle mass. The body isn't very good at building muscle and reducing fat, according to Lyle McDonald IIRC (UD2?).

If you're not doing any cardio at all, then you could do one or two sessions a week. You'll have to experiment and see if you start heading towards the goals you have set yourself.