I can't do squats. At all.

Options
Not even a little bit. Even with no weights. My knees just don't bend very far. If I force it, they hurt way to much. What is a good substitute?

Replies

• Krazy_Kat
    Krazy_Kat Posts: 212
    Options
  • iSpuggz
    iSpuggz Posts: 39
    Options
    There isn't really a substitute for the squat. Most people would then suggest lunges but I don't think you'd be able to do those either if your knees aren't great. If you can do partial squats and be comfortable, do those. You don't need to do a full squat for it to be beneficial. If not then try step ups.
  • abbott69
    abbott69 Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you exercising in a gym? Go to the weights section and try the leg press - not sure of exact name, but the one where you are sitting in a 'v' and the resistance is when you straighten your legs. That way the weights help with the downward part. I have a similar problem, just make sure you start light or with no weights first.
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    There isn't really a substitute for the squat. Most people would then suggest lunges but I don't think you'd be able to do those either if your knees aren't great. If you can do partial squats and be comfortable, do those. You don't need to do a full squat for it to be beneficial. If not then try step ups.

Lunges are worse! OMG yes. My knees bend so very little when I try squats that they bend more when I just go up steps, so maybe step ups would do.

I don't go to the gym
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    It used to hurt my knees too. I went as far as I could with out it hurting and just built up to a full squat.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Then don't do them. Your diet is more important than squats at the moment.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'd suggest first working on leg extensions and hamstring curls to get your knees accustomed to the bend youd need.

also, try wall squats. stand with your back against a wall and slower lower. go to a point where you can bend then hold for a few seconds. do a few sets of those until you can get your knees to bend enough that your upper thigh is parallel to the ground
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    try wall squats. stand with your back against a wall and slower lower. go to a point where you can bend then hold for a few seconds. do a few sets of those until you can get your knees to bend enough that your upper thigh is parallel to the ground

I can't do squats either and this is what the physio recommended, and the stationary bike to build up strength
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    i'd suggest first working on leg extensions and hamstring curls to get your knees accustomed to the bend youd need.

also, try wall squats. stand with your back against a wall and slower lower. go to a point where you can bend then hold for a few seconds. do a few sets of those until you can get your knees to bend enough that your upper thigh is parallel to the ground

I've been having trouble with squats too so I'm totally going to try this. Thanks!
  • zenJes
    zenJes Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    squats are one of those things that you perservier with.. just practice doing them as far down as you can and gradually you will get more and more flexibility, really focus on keeping your back as straight as possible and not leaning forward - tip for this is to keep your hands above your head when you go down! Its a slow old road but after a few months i have way better form now!! so hang in there :D Overhead walking lunges are also a really good exercise for keeping your back straight !!
  • 50sthenew30
    50sthenew30 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Maybe the approach to take is building up slowly to the knee movement.
    Try a rowing machine first which would build flexibility and movement in the knee joint.

Once that is achived and you are happy, look at this http://stronglifts.com/how-to-squat-with-proper-technique-fix-common-problems/

Start with an empty bar and very gradually over a period of a couple of weeks build up to some weight.

Hope that helps :)
  • cookiefluff
    cookiefluff Posts: 115
    Options
    I used to have the same issue!!!!! Your knees may hurt because you're lacking potassium!!! I started eating bananas regularly and they stopped hurting while exercising! Give it a go!!!! :D
  • GaidenJade
    GaidenJade Posts: 171
    Options
    Oh yeah, my knees still hurt sometimes. But it was so much worse and my legs would nearly give out when I tried squats. But it's one of those things you have to push through. A little at a time, try different things to build up your strength but keep trying them. Do shallow squats, just go down as far as you can. Eventually you will see an improvement. :flowerforyou:
  • Krazy_Kat
    Options
    I think I'll try extensions and some biking.... thanks
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    Then you are doing them wrong. Squats are not based on the knees but the butt. Your knees are prolly going over your ankles. Keep your knees behind your ankles and stick your butt out. If you can sit in a chair you can do squats- same move. You don't have to start off going deep. Small gentle squats work until you get the form right and your knees get stronger. Knees have muscle tissue in them too and if you don't work them they will never get stronger!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Start your squats using the back of a chair for support, but make sure your knees aren't over your feet. You want to squat from the butt, not the knees. If you're not used to them, then don't get into s deep squat. Push as far as you can until you feel the burn start then stop. Gradually you'll find your strength increases and you'l be able to go deeper.

Good luck!
  • chefgirl866
    Options
    I could not do them either, and someone recommended using an exercise ball. Place the ball against the wall behind your back and slowing squat down using the ball to roll down the wall. It as helped me to do squats without pain.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    It used to hurt my knees too. I went as far as I could with out it hurting and just built up to a full squat.

^This! I have a lot of trouble with my left knee. I have been doing partial squats (there's a video showing how to do one correctly) and now I can do lunges and my knee is SSOOOOO much stronger. It never 'gives" out on me anymore. Work on strengthening the muscles around your knee and it will pay off! :happy:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    When you say your knees don't bend very far is this a medical problem or lack of flexibility?

When I started doing squats I thought my kneecaps were going to literally pop off and fly across the room. If there's no specific medical issue lack of flexibility can be improved upon with walking, stretching and progressing gradually from a partial squat (go as far as yu can until you're slightly uncomfortable ) If you can sit down on the toilet and get back up you can do squats - it's a similar motion, you want to stick your butt out behind you and keep your knees over your feet.

One trick i learned for maintaining good form is to hold a ball to your chest (soccer ball, medicine ball) and, as you lower yourself into the squat, slowly push the ball out in front of you.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Then you are doing them wrong. Squats are not based on the knees but the butt. Your knees are prolly going over your ankles. Keep your knees behind your ankles and stick your butt out. If you can sit in a chair you can do squats- same move. You don't have to start off going deep. Small gentle squats work until you get the form right and your knees get stronger. Knees have muscle tissue in them too and if you don't work them they will never get stronger!

very good advice...thanks