Slimming down the Hips &...

Options
xYumzx
xYumzx Posts: 953 Member
Hey everyone.. I feel like I post this subject alot but I dont seem to get any responses... so heres for a lucky try...

Ive been searching the web like crazy trying to figure out exercises to help me slim down my hips and butt... but I feel like im at a dead end..

Does anyone have issues with these parts of the body? If so what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for any help
Coll

Replies

• mmarin81
    mmarin81 Posts: 241
    Options
    Personally see no need to "fix" it. But hopefully you get some ideas. I have none. Sorry.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth. If you have problem areas, you will need to lose more weight.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    I would recommend running. Running works wonders for slimming down the butt and thighs. i'm a big runner, and started running a lot more lately, and my legs have already gotten very slim, and i've lost a lot of my butt. lol. its worth a try. i think running is one of the best cardio exercises out there, for losing weight.
  • Justagirl1978
    Justagirl1978 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction is a myth. If you have problem areas, you will need to lose more weight.

This ^^
  • amymarie8709
    amymarie8709 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you're a pear....I'm sorry, but you will always be a pear. I'm a pear as well. :/ You cannot "spot reduce", but there are exercises that you can do to help tone and define the area. Leg lifts while laying on your side. If you have Jillian Michaels Killer Buns and thighs..... she has the exercises on that dvd. I love it!!! And it's a total body fat reduction that will help with the "fat" in the "lower region". ;) LOL. Or if you go to the gym...the leg press, squats, lunges, walking lunges, split squats. With weights will help give you better results. I've noticed a bigger difference weights over body weight.
    Hope this helps.
  • 45taylor
    45taylor Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Walk!!! I have been walking 3 .5 miles pretty much daily and my hips and butt are much slimmer.
    good luck!!
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options
    I like this exercise called the hip raise. You lay on your back with legs bent touching the floor and hands down to your sides. You simply raise your waist and lower your waist for the desired amount of times. I aim for 40.

I also like an exercise called the Turkish get up. Look that one up. You use a small weight (kettle bell is my preference) and you lay down and hold the weight up with 1 arm and stand up with the proper form.

These two exercises really engage the core and as part of a full body workout program, they can help you reach your goals.
  • xYumzx
    Options
    I like this exercise called the hip raise. You lay on your back with legs bent touching the floor and hands down to your sides. You simply raise your waist and lower your waist for the desired amount of times. I aim for 40.

I also like an exercise called the Turkish get up. Look that one up. You use a small weight (kettle bell is my preference) and you lay down and hold the weight up with 1 arm and stand up with the proper form.

These two exercises really engage the core and as part of a full body workout program, they can help you reach your goals.

Thank you... Ive seen alot about that hip raise one its called a bridge right?
  • junekmoore
    junekmoore Posts: 25
    Options
    I am starting to see good results in my hip, thigh and butt area. I am power walking in my neighborhood and about 20 minutes of it is uphill. I walk for at least an hour four days a week. I also take kick boxing and Zumba at least two days a week. I have been doing this for about a month now and I am definitely seeing a difference. I actually smiled at my thighs this morning.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    You can work on building muscle there, but spot reduction of fat unfortunately doesn't exist. You're body will decide when and where the fat comes off.

I've always had thick legs. My thighs are a different pant size than my waist. I have only just come to terms with this...
  • aholder01
    aholder01 Posts: 3
    Options
    :sad: :cry: :happy: :happy:
    Hi there....I carry most of my weight in my hips butt and legs. i have been doing alot and i mean alot of sumu squats,lunges, and step training for last 3 months. I also do leg raises from floor which helps trim the hips and butt also.
    it's taken a while to start seeing results but its well woeth it.
    hang in there find routines that work best for you and do them......remember none of this is going to be easy but you have to stick with it.
    i tell my self every day, i do this cause i am well worth it.

good luck
  • mrob81
    mrob81 Posts: 36
    Options

Thank you... Ive seen alot about that hip raise one its called a bridge right?

It is a baby step bridge. The bridge is the full fledged version of this exercise. This exercise helps strengthen the lower back and butt cheeks and helps with flexibility in order to execute a proper bridge. I love it.
  • junekmoore
    junekmoore Posts: 25
    Options
    I definitely agree with you. I ditched the gym and have gone back to walking more and I am slimming down too.
  • xYumzx
    Options
    You can work on building muscle there, but spot reduction of fat unfortunately doesn't exist. You're body will decide when and where the fat comes off.

I've always had thick legs. My thighs are a different pant size than my waist. I have only just come to terms with this...

I know I cant spot reduce... but id just like them to look better...
  • bubsyh
    bubsyh Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I am increasing my squats and lunges.
  • ImKindOfABigDeal40
    ImKindOfABigDeal40 Posts: 807 Member
    Options

My problem area is my love handles. I can do ab crunches until I'm blue in the face. The only way, I'm going to firm up is to lose more weight. They're is a layer of fat there. There is no toning up fat.
  • rahrahrita
    rahrahrita Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Like most people have been saying here: you can't spot-reduce fat. But if you want to build muscle there, try "blogilates" on youtube. She has a ton of videos that target just about every part of your body, just look at the title of the video. The videos are pretty challenging, but it feels so rewarding when you can get through a whole one without cheating!
  • xYumzx
    Options
    Like most people have been saying here: you can't spot-reduce fat. But if you want to build muscle there, try "blogilates" on youtube. She has a ton of videos that target just about every part of your body, just look at the title of the video. The videos are pretty challenging, but it feels so rewarding when you can get through a whole one without cheating!

Ill take a look into that thanks hun
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options

I hear ya! :smile:

Do you run or cycle at all? My cycling friends have awesome legs!
  • xYumzx
    Options

I hear ya! :smile:

Do you run or cycle at all? My cycling friends have awesome legs!

ive wanted to start running but i just dont have the motivation