How often should I weigh myself?

Options
2»

Replies

• AiimeeDee
    AiimeeDee Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I have my coffee. In the past when I gained, I didn't have a scale and looking back I believe I wouldn't have gotten as big if I had my scale. I think having it now really helps me keep on tack.
  • jen6024
    jen6024 Posts: 1
    Options
    I weigh myself every, It's really a personal choice. I like seeing how my weight differs each day, and it keeps me on track for my goals. =)
  • jdmey
    jdmey Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale every morning. It measures in tenths of a pound which I like, since sometimes I have only a .2 loss, but it's a loss nevertheless. I have fluctuations all through the week. When it's up a bit, I use that as encouragement to be more diligent, and if it's down, I use that as motivation to keep going. I don't analyze each weigh-in, but looking at the long-term, I see that I'm losing.
  • sabrinamunin
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning, but I only record it when it goes down. I know it's going to fluctuate through the week (up a pound or two the day after a more strenuous workout, for example) and I don't let that bother me. I like having some idea of how what I eat or drink affects my weight, and as long as it's generally trending downward it's all good!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The morning after a rest day.

Could be once a week, could be couple times a week.

Exercise can cause fluctuations of 1-2 lbs easy. Rest day allows that to balance out. Otherwise you will have false weight gain and loss, both of which can be discouraging and really meaningless.

Try not to have any higher than normal sodium meals on that rest day of course.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    It's only a bad thing if you obsess over it.

I weigh every day and track it on a spreadsheet; seeing the overall trend helps me on days when it goes up a little.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I heard many years ago that if you have lost alot of weight and want to keep it off, you should weigh yourself every day. Sadly, I did not listen, did not count calories, and ended back up where I was plus another 10 due to slowing metabolism of age. Go ahead and weigh yourself every day. I take my blood pressure every day too.
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    Once a week max...weighing everyday would do my head in!! Besides, working random shift patterns...'first thing' can mean a whole lot of different times of the day for me and as your bod can fluctuate up to 5lbs during the course of a day, daily weighing wouldn't tell me a great deal anyhoo.
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week for the most part. I weigh in on the same day each week at my local YMCA. I was part of program at YMCA called the smallest winner and my trainer use to weigh me in on Thursday, so I just continued to do it on my own.
  • 33neenaj
    33neenaj Posts: 306
    Options
    Once a week
  • anorangie
    anorangie Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Right now, in weight-loss mode, I like to record my weight every Saturday morning.

Daily weigh-ins can discourage me too much, with the fluctuations and all.
  • workoutgirl23
    Options
    don't weigh yourself every day. It best to just weigh yourself about once a week. you will go crazy if your always on the scale every day, waiting for the numbers to move. besides. our weight can vary depending on a lot of stuff.. so its best to just do it about once a week, its more accurate that way. and you won't drive yourself as crazy.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Once a week tops. Break up with the scale and start using the measuring tape. ;) Sometimes your body is losing inches but not pounds (especially if you are working on strength/building muscle).
  • chocolateandvodka
    chocolateandvodka Posts: 1,856 Member
    Options
    every 12 minutes. exactly.
  • omearaee
    omearaee Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself almost every morning. I do avoid weighing myself during my period when I can gain a lot of water weight. I think when and how often to weigh yourself is an individual thing. It's perfectly okay to weigh yourself every day so long as you aren't obsessed if the numbers not moving or moving in the wrong direction. But the minute you start getting down about the numbers then it's time to back off weighing every day and go to once a week or something like that.
  • pattybattin
    Options
    I am constantly on the scale. I am obsessed with it. Although the ones I am most interested in are the first thing in the morning weight and the last thing before bed weight. It is interesting how the weight changes. I love seeing my high weight so much lower than it use to be. Personal choice and I only add my weight to MFP when it goes down.
  • chocobis09
    chocobis09 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only log my weight 2 times a week but i usual weigh myself 3-4 times
  • DietandVlogsense
    DietandVlogsense Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Similar to Chocobis09, I weigh myself most days, but I have Sunday as my "Weigh-in Day" and that's the one that I use for the week.

I can see 2-3lbs of movement up and down, just through water weight from having an exceptional session in the gym, or visitng the steam rooms and, as I don't tend to use the Gym on Saturdays, that made Sunday the obvious choice for me.
  • Katanthus
    Katanthus Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I started MFP 31st March, and used to weigh myself daily, got upset as I was not losing weight, but I did measure myself. I didn't get on the scale for two weeks. I still measured myself. I now weigh myself first thing in the morning, after nipping to the loo. I like many others, only log it in MFP once a week. I do keep a spreadsheet of my weight, which is good to see how you fair at different times of the month.

I have lost 25lb and 60" in 85 days. Make sure you have more than the scale as a marker of how much you have lost. The scale can lie. I was building muscle, that is why I was not losing weight.

I wish you all the very best on your journey to a healthier happier you!
  • KarensCanDoIt
    KarensCanDoIt Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    There's no right or wrong about it. Do what works for you.

I weigh myself every morning before breakfast. I don't record changes in MFP unless I've been as a weight for at least two days (up or down). I'd rather see how it fluctuates. It helps me. If I weigh in only once a week and it's on an upward fluctuation day I'd feel worse because I didn't see that two days earlier it might have been 2 pounds lighter.

I do try and take measurements once a month. Even if I don't lose a lot on the scale, the inches lost are a positive boost.