struggle

Options
ok here is my story, was severely over weight in high school, topped out at 250lbs. Lost the weight all through college doing that program with the points. Got down to about 130/135lbs. After i turned 26, my metabolism seemed to change and i got back up to about 160lbs. Started running marathons and have been able to bring it back down to 150lbs. For the past year and a half i have not been able to get my weight to move. I want to get back down to about 130lbs. About a year ago i started working out with a trainer two days a week. i work out 6 days a week from anywhere between an hour and a half to three hours. The program i seemed to be successful with before, i became a lifetime member, does not seem to be working anymore. I am allowed 18 to 20 points per day on that plan, but when I use the my fitness pal food tracker and put in my exercise too, it adds up to about 30 points per day im eating and it is telling me i still have about 300 calories left to eat. I'm kind of afraid to be eating that much in fear of weight gain. My trainer does not think im eating enough, or getting enough protein for all the working out im doing. So now im thinking of incorporating a protein shake into the diet. I dont know, anyone have any ideas?

Replies

• KimberlyKurtz
    Options
    Hello first congrats on your weight lose! I find that when I use a protein shakes I am able to control my calories. I use protein shakes from Herbalife. Others on this site use some from GNC. Maybe give this a try. Depending on how much weight I want to lose I do two shakes a day. Good luck!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I understand about not being able to lose those extra pounds. I too have struggled most of my life. My advice that I learned on here is to eat those extra exercise calories! I actually gained weight logging all of my food until I started eating my exercise cals. Another MFP member explained like this: IF your base is 1200 cals without exercise, that is what your body needs to function. Say you burn 5oo cals exercising and you only eat the 1200 cals. Your body thinks it's only getting 700 cals for that day because your base went up to 1700, according to your body. Sooooo, our body goes into starvation mode! That is the layman's terminology!
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever checked your thyroid?
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    ok here is my story, was severely over weight in high school, topped out at 250lbs. Lost the weight all through college doing that program with the points. Got down to about 130/135lbs. After i turned 26, my metabolism seemed to change and i got back up to about 160lbs. Started running marathons and have been able to bring it back down to 150lbs. For the past year and a half i have not been able to get my weight to move. I want to get back down to about 130lbs. About a year ago i started working out with a trainer two days a week. i work out 6 days a week from anywhere between an hour and a half to three hours. The program i seemed to be successful with before, i became a lifetime member, does not seem to be working anymore. I am allowed 18 to 20 points per day on that plan, but when I use the my fitness pal food tracker and put in my exercise too, it adds up to about 30 points per day im eating and it is telling me i still have about 300 calories left to eat. I'm kind of afraid to be eating that much in fear of weight gain. My trainer does not think im eating enough, or getting enough protein for all the working out im doing. So now im thinking of incorporating a protein shake into the diet. I dont know, anyone have any ideas?
    Your trainer may be right on the money.
    The "Points" system does not take into account the kind of training you may or will be doing.
    Good workouts require good fuel, and getting the proper amount of proteins, carbs and, yes, fats will produce better results than trying to use some diet to do both weight loss and conditioning.
    If you are lookign to workout out properly you probably should be looking at a 40-40-20 ratio of proteins-carbs-fats, find the proper BMI for you, and figure out what would be a good weight loss for you and factor in those calories divided by the number of days in a week for a daily calorie deficit.
    For instance, if you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need to have a 250 calorie daily deficit after you add your BMI calories plus your workout calories. 250 times 7 days equals 3500 calories or 1 pound.
    Adjust the nubmers based on how much you want to lose weekly.
    Building muscle tone burns more calories than fat tissue, so you can eat more and still lose fat (longer story).
    If you don't eat enough you can put your body into "starvation mode" where it thinks you are starving it so it slows down your metabolism to conserve calories, eseentially negating your hard work in the gym. Check this out with your trainer.

Feel free to message me if you want more info.
  • rob_in_wisc
    Options
    I was in a similar situation. I work out a lot including weightlifting and a lot of cardio. I found some information on line about a natrual body builder. His program is called BFFM (Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle). Basically it recommends eating protien with every meal and eating every 2-3 hours. It takes planning to do, but since I have seriously tracked what I eat and make sure I have protien in every meal, I finally started to lose weight. I have lost about 45 lbs all together, and I am currently averaging 1-2 pounds a week. The other plus is that I can control my blood sugar better eating this way.

Rob
  • gc2052
    gc2052 Posts: 183
    Options
    If you were doing WW's I an a lifetime member. I stopped the points and am doing MFP and calories. 20-24 points kept me in starvation mode therefore no weight loss.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    The "Points" system does not take into account the kind of training you may or will be doing.
    Good workouts require good fuel, and getting the proper amount of proteins, carbs and, yes, fats will produce better results than trying to use some diet to do both weight loss and conditioning.
    If you are lookign to workout out properly you probably should be looking at a 40-40-20 ratio of proteins-carbs-fats, find the proper BMI for you, and figure out what would be a good weight loss for you and factor in those calories divided by the number of days in a week for a daily calorie deficit.
    For instance, if you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need to have a 250 calorie daily deficit after you add your BMI calories plus your workout calories. 250 times 7 days equals 3500 calories or 1 pound.
    Building muscle tone burns more calories than fat tissue, so you can eat more and still lose fat (longer story).
    If you don't eat enough you can put your body into "starvation mode" where it thinks you are starving it so it slows down your metabolism to conserve calories, eseentially negating your hard work in the gym. Check this out with your trainer.

Except that 250 times 7 days does not equal 3500 calories or 1 pound. 500 calories a day does.
  • InTheMoney
    InTheMoney Posts: 249 Member
    Options

Except that 250 times 7 days does not equal 3500 calories or 1 pound. 500 calories a day does.

You're 100% right, I blew that. i was thinking one thing and saying another. More thought was on the process than the calculation.