eating enough calories but staying under

Options

Replies

• niciemetts
    niciemetts Posts: 49
    Options
    look for it marked down.....................walmart has it marked down all the time...........i like my fresh fruits and veggies.......also seasonings to add calories without adding alot of sugar........if you like sweet stuff add some splenda to it if its not sweet enough......
  • Secondgoround
    Options
    I also shop very often at Walmart and do not have a problem purchasing good, clean foods. You can buy chicken on sale in an economy pack and freeze it serving sizes. I buy eggs, brown rice and cans of black beans for like 58 cents. I also get fresh vegetables, fruit and nuts.

I think processed and junk foods are much more expensive. They don't fill you up and you end up with way too much sodium.
  • ypod375
    ypod375 Posts: 2
    Options
    One thing I think about processed foods and eating out is the money I use to buy those foods I could use to buy the ingredients in those foods and have much more to eat (and less salt), try eating nuts they are high in calories. also with packaged dishes (pasta sides ect.) if it has a lot of sodium use half of the seasonings they give you (most likely at least half of the seasoning is sodium).
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    lilmzzgreeneyez Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I also shop very often at Walmart and do not have a problem purchasing good, clean foods. You can buy chicken on sale in an economy pack and freeze it serving sizes. I buy eggs, brown rice and cans of black beans for like 58 cents. I also get fresh vegetables, fruit and nuts.

I think processed and junk foods are much more expensive. They don't fill you up and you end up with way too much sodium.

i dont know maybe i just suck at grocery shopping. im about to head there now because we ran out of most of our healthy foods already this week. i am going to have to try to find good options. more meat like chicken and maybe fish. and just try stuff
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I have kind of gotten to the point that I realize that if I want to lose weight and look and feel good, I have to suck it up and eat foods I might not necessarily like. I first tried plain greek yogurt and thought it was disgusting. Now I suck it up and eat it because it is a good food to eat and it is actually good to me now. Protein is important. I'd rather spend 100 calories eating something I don't really like (and getting 18g protein) than eating 100 calories of chips just because I could.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    Options
    I have kind of gotten to the point that I realize that if I want to lose weight and look and feel good, I have to suck it up and eat foods I might not necessarily like. I first tried plain greek yogurt and thought it was disgusting. Now I suck it up and eat it because it is a good food to eat and it is actually good to me now. Protein is important. I'd rather spend 100 calories eating something I don't really like (and getting 18g protein) than eating 100 calories of chips just because I could.

well i am going to try to eat all good foods and make them taste good somehow but i will stay with vanilla yogurt and just watch my sugars in any other area (cut out chocolate i guess) cause i cant eat the plain stuff without serious adding of other stuff.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Why don't you give the Chobani Greek yogurt with fruit, or the Oikos Key Lime a try? They are much MUCH yummier than the plain. Yes, they have sugar in them, but so does a lot of processed foods, and they're better for you :)
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary, your eating far too much bread and corn chips, too much fast food too, Ive been to walmart loads of times and to say you cant get healthy foods, thats bull. They sell meat, fish and fresh vegetables.
    Eat more protein, steak, chicken, nuts etc, egg whites, they all help to burn calouries in the body.Set a good example for your kids and keep away from the drive in.
    I can quite easily take in 1200 a day and thats eating healthy foods.
  • foreverangel
    Options
    Zumba doesn't burn that many calories, LOL..I'd sure love to think it does tho :)

Who's to say it doesn't?
    I burn about 1200 cals in an hour of Zumba as i work very hard.
    And the source which tells me I have burnt that many is apparently quite accurate to that of a heart rate monitor.
    However, I am in the process of purchasing a HRM to test this myself but I doubt there is much difference. It depends on your weight and how much effort you put in. The Zumba training game that I used takes all this into consideration.
  • Pfeiffer24
    Pfeiffer24 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Taco soup has so.much sodium.... Try marinating chicken.in pinappple juice add.chili flakes and pepper... Then grill or bake and add bbq sauce... Eat alot of broccoli steamed. Freeze some sweet grapes and munch on those all day...even if ur eating under make sure its healthy...:)
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    I am the same as you but struggle sometimes with my carbs goal... I hit about 100 - 200 calories under my goal before it hits.
    Bread addiction :laugh:

The best thing to do is to incorporate whole grains into your diet. You eat a lot of corn chips, I know I would too if I could... they are amazing. Limit yourself to 40 grams a day or so on, and wean yourself off if you are concerned.

Start eating wholemeal bread and grains like quinoa or even brown rice. Spice it up with a little salad, if you like mexican buy some wholemeal wraps and make your own "soft" tacos. Even make your corn chips from them...

Its all about swapping for the healthier option. :) Goodluck.
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    .. lols
  • mfpmech
    mfpmech Posts: 10
    Options
    don't sweat salt. research shows that salt is only a problem for people who already have hypertension/blood pressure problems. even for those people, it is shown that eating salt is fine so long as they counteract it by eating extra bananas (the problem isn't having high salt, the problem is having sodium and potassium out of balance with each other).

NEXT

don't sweat sugar. the 60 minutes bit was the latest sensationalist food scare, like fat before it, like salt before it, like carbs before it, like fructose before it, like cholesterol before it. the report is mostly based on the words of an incompetent zealot (Dr. Lustig) and misrepresenting the data from studies that don't relate to normal human use.

this study fed the participants 25% of their calories in fructose, which for a 2500 calorie diet, is 150g of fructose (about 3L of coke, or eating ~3/4 cup of sugar, PER DAY). add to that, the subjects were all overweight/obese, and were not allowed to exercise more than 3 hours a week. i repeat: drinking THREE LITERS OF COCA-COLA A DAY, and SEDENTARY activity by OBESE volunteers. further, the study didn't conclude sugar causes cancer, but that "cancer cells were proven to have insulin receptors, and insulin production feeds cancer cells." not a huge surprise, cancer cells grow just like other human cells.

the 60 minutes story decided to not mention any of this.

eat reasonably, don't sweat the numbers by a few degrees.

for more information on the bull#$%^ of the 60 minutes scare-a-thon, check this interview with alan aragon, nutritional research reviewer extraordinaire: http://youtu.be/BMc0_s-M08I WARNING it is long, in depth, and uses some NSFW language; alan got his reputation using a very... blunt and honest persona to present scientific research.
  • jcperkns
    jcperkns Posts: 109
    Options

^^This. you can get a pound of frozen spinach for less than $1. I don't know if there is a Target by you, but I also go there to get their store brand groceries which are good as well. I am a college student so I have to watch what I spend too. But for me its worth it to spend a little extra money on clean food than junk food. In fact, I have found that it's cheaper to load up on frozen veggies, lean protein, etc than to get prepackaged frozen dinners. It might cost me more upfront, but it turns out the cost per meal is cheaper.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    Options
    Looking at your diary, your eating far too much bread and corn chips, too much fast food too, Ive been to walmart loads of times and to say you cant get healthy foods, thats bull. They sell meat, fish and fresh vegetables.
    Eat more protein, steak, chicken, nuts etc, egg whites, they all help to burn calouries in the body.Set a good example for your kids and keep away from the drive in.
    I can quite easily take in 1200 a day and thats eating healthy foods.

you have only looked at a few days of my diary then. i dont normally eat chips at all. i only did because i made taco soup last week and there was too much of it and not enough people to eat it. i dont throw food away. i know i can get food at walmart but its just not always a good selection. most of the time the produce isnt ripe enough or its overripe thats what i mean by that.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    Options
    Taco soup has so.much sodium.... Try marinating chicken.in pinappple juice add.chili flakes and pepper... Then grill or bake and add bbq sauce... Eat alot of broccoli steamed. Freeze some sweet grapes and munch on those all day...even if ur eating under make sure its healthy...:)

i made the taco soup healthier. i only eat it because its soemthing my kids and bf love. i cant only make chicken because my daughter is allergic. i can make it for myself but i dont put too much work into it (just boil bake or grill it and if i grill i am grilling other stuff too) i went to th store last night and bought more produce. i didnt have any in the house after almost a week of not going to the store.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    Options
    I am the same as you but struggle sometimes with my carbs goal... I hit about 100 - 200 calories under my goal before it hits.
    Bread addiction :laugh:

The best thing to do is to incorporate whole grains into your diet. You eat a lot of corn chips, I know I would too if I could... they are amazing. Limit yourself to 40 grams a day or so on, and wean yourself off if you are concerned.

Start eating wholemeal bread and grains like quinoa or even brown rice. Spice it up with a little salad, if you like mexican buy some wholemeal wraps and make your own "soft" tacos. Even make your corn chips from them...

Its all about swapping for the healthier option. :) Goodluck.

as i said before that was only for a few days. i dont normally eat corn chips. they were with the taco soup i made (its part of the meal) i wont be doing that often. especially now that the soup is gone.
  • lilmzzgreeneyez
    Options

^^This. you can get a pound of frozen spinach for less than $1. I don't know if there is a Target by you, but I also go there to get their store brand groceries which are good as well. I am a college student so I have to watch what I spend too. But for me its worth it to spend a little extra money on clean food than junk food. In fact, I have found that it's cheaper to load up on frozen veggies, lean protein, etc than to get prepackaged frozen dinners. It might cost me more upfront, but it turns out the cost per meal is cheaper.

we dont have a supermarket target. ours is the little one that just sells clothes toys and the nonfood stufff. i wetn to walmart and got some fresher food last night. we were just out of it for a few days i cant go to the store too often i hve to be careful with how much i spend though.
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    junky, preprocessed foods is what gets PEOPLE FAT.

You can kill yourself working out if you continue eating bad foods you will not change your body.

I cant believe you dont have a grocery store in your town that sells fruits/veggies/fresh meats.

Fat people remain fat because they MAKE EXCUSES .
  • LeggyKettleBabe
    LeggyKettleBabe Posts: 300 Member
    Options

we dont have a supermarket target. ours is the little one that just sells clothes toys and the nonfood stufff. i wetn to walmart and got some fresher food last night. we were just out of it for a few days i cant go to the store too often i hve to be careful with how much i spend though.

Another excuse people make for eating junk.

I go to Sprouts Market and with 20 dollars, I could home with enough fresh fruits and veggies to last practically all week.

I spent bout 80 a week on a family of 4 thats including steak, chicken, pork and vegetables. I dont buy anything prepared like sauces or frozen foods.