peri-menopause

Options
:mad:

Okay, this stuff is NOT funny. The hot flashes started, the libido is dwindling, and I can't seem to lose weight. Need support and advice from ANYONE going through the same thing!

Replies

• leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Whadya want to know? It sucks. I'm dry um, down there, and I'm running my *kitten* off just to loose 1/2 a pound a week (the last two weeks not withstanding - lost 3 lbs in 10 last two weeks for some reason - can't figure out how).

Hot flashes: There is about zippo you can do. One minute I'll be freezing my *kitten* off at work, the next folks are asking if I'm OK cause I'm red and my nose is sweating (I'm sweating other places, too, but we won't talk about that).

Libido: Hubby's been giving me alcohol occasionally because, for the moment, it fixes that particular area of difficulty.

Overall I'm not thrilled, but then, it's better than other things that could be wrong.

I do feel for you. Wish I had some real advice. Wait, just thought, I do. SIL says that soy milk helps her (doesn't do anything for me) and I have found that Tylenol, that all purpose hormone suppressor, does sometimes help with symptoms.
  • DonnaCW
    DonnaCW Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I am depressed because I'm gaining weight instead of losing it, and the libido is shot! I am back on birth control to control the estrogen levels so the hot flashes stopped, (for now). I will try the alcohol thing... ;) thanks! :) lol.
    Good luck on your journey. Thanks again for replying.
  • glg236
    glg236 Posts: 2
    Options
    nope not fun at all..............going through it myself.............it's also hard to accept (for me at least) how much this affects weight loss. its only temporary I keep telling myself.

one suggestion i heard from someone else was to use other "benchmarks" such as energy level, how clothing feels, body measurements, etc. instead of/along with # on scale.

be well..........
  • arathena720
    arathena720 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm so with you! I started peri about 2 months ago. I have anxiety disorder, which I've controlled with diet and exercise for years, but this has put me over the edge. Between the panic attacks and the weight gain, I'm not much fun to be around. I'm just starting out, so I don't have a lot of info yet, but I've been increasing my Vitamin B intake to help ease the anxiety and depression. Hang tough girl!
  • jcrnprn
    jcrnprn Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm in the same place as you, my trainer suggested an herb called "black cohosh", my preliminary research looks promising still waiting to ask my doctor (who is all into alternative medicine) if this is an option for me.
  • DzLady
    DzLady Posts: 12
    Options
    I am 41 and having difficulty losing as well. I had a full and complete hysterectomy almost a year ago due to endometritis and fibroids on my uterus among other things. I have gained about 30 lbs since then. I have lost a total of 15 lbs so far, but the last week +, I have weighed the same, but I have lost inches.

My libido has been gone for such a long time, I cant begin to guess when it left. I love my husband of 16 years, but I just dont have the desire for anything sexual. I feel so bad.

On a side note, I tried the Black Cohosh a year or so ago and did nothing for me.

All I can offer is support and motivation. And I empathize with you
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I'm 42 and have most of the above issues as well... :sad: :sad: Plus the emotional roller coaster~not a fun ride, I want my money back..LOL
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Not there yet, but feel like it will be soon...ugh! However, check out the tool bar at the top of this page and click on "groups". There is a group for pre/post menopausal women. May see you there soon! :smile:
  • melinda2308
    melinda2308 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did weight watchers last year to drop total of 15 pounds. It took me 10 months to lose 8 pounds and frankly found it to be too expensive for minimal results. I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN ABOUT SLOW.....one thing i have learned. I am 53 years old and my body has become really sensitive to starchy carbs since going thru the process. I also had really broken sleep which definitely impedes the losing process. My challenge is getting the fitness amped up. Sometimes, i just dont want to friggen do it. But I know I would be much worse off it I slow that down. I am just having a hard time changing up my program as I really plateauing .

Women tend to hold belly fat as a result of their ovaries slowing down production of estrogen and that is why women get the belly thing going on during the change. Carbs like bread and pasta and white potatoes are the enemy to menopausal women.

I just look at it like this, women have an excuse to get pudgy around the middle...but the menfolk ....they just dont HA
  • KarCall
    KarCall Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Yep... I'm there too. Tried the "menopause" supplements from walgreens. They gave me heart palpitations. Would love to hear some suggestions from others.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi girls - count me in! I can't drop this weight for the life of me and have the other symptoms as well. It's comforting to know this too shall pass. Stay strong!
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Maybe we should form a group!!

A friend of mine suggested pure peppermint extract to help with flashes - a few drops in coffee, tea - whatever. Haven't really tried it yet.
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Have you tried acupuncture? I know it sounds a bit voodoo but it really seems to work!
  • jagfan
    jagfan Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I am glad you posted. I have those symptoms, but no hot flashes. I thought maybe I wasn't starting this "process" since I don't experience that part. I didn't know that birth control would curb that...

I don't have much to lose, but the problems areas you refer to like the belly fat will not go away! I work out like a mad person and lose nothing...
  • leslisa
    leslisa Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replying! I am depressed because I'm gaining weight instead of losing it, and the libido is shot! I am back on birth control to control the estrogen levels so the hot flashes stopped, (for now). I will try the alcohol thing... ;) thanks! :) lol.

You bet, us peri-menopause freaks have to stick together. Who else is gonna hang out with our sweaty selves? :laugh:
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options

You bet, us peri-menopause freaks have to stick together. Who else is gonna hang out with our sweaty selves? :laugh:

LOL - that pretty much describes it in the nutshell.
    Not sure what's worse - puberty or peri-menopause. :tongue:
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same place as you, my trainer suggested an herb called "black cohosh", my preliminary research looks promising still waiting to ask my doctor (who is all into alternative medicine) if this is an option for me.
    I recently started taking the black cohosh and so far it hasn't helped
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I'm 42 and have most of the above issues as well... :sad: :sad: Plus the emotional roller coaster~not a fun ride, I want my money back..LOL

Try taking B-12 it will help with the emotions trust me I had that too but once I was diagnosed as anemic since my body doesn't absorb the b-12 I have been 100 percent better in the emotional area since I started taking the vitamin B-12
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I don't know why, but since I started on my weight loss program (low carb diet and exercise), my hot flashes have diminished significantly. I have had hot flashes since I started menopause 12 years ago....and I was used to having them every hour on the hour. Now, I have maybe 3 a day. WHAT a difference!! It could be coincidence....maybe they are just going away on their own, but I doubt it.
  • gatorginger
    Options
    I'm going through meno pause to and wasn't able to lose weight until I started on here and I guess I am fortunate because I have lost weight pretty easy. So hang in there it can be done, you might have to experiment in the calorie intake area to see what works best for you.