Tempeh or Tofu- which do you prefer??

Options
2»

Replies

• Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I've only ever had tofu and I agree with your husband, it's just too damn squishy!

If that tempeh stuff works out for you let me know!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Everyone in my family LOVES tempeh. Even my 3year old and meat loving husband. I like to slice it into strips and sautéed it in olive oil and tamari/soy sauce. It's delish on salads (like an alternative to a chicken or steak salad.)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely on what you are cooking. I like both of them, but use one in the wrong way and it won't taste good.
  • rhichi
    rhichi Posts: 133
    Options
    I'm not a tempeh person. I prefer to take tofu, squeeze all the water out of it, and fry it into tofu chips. Adds...well...a considerable amount of fat...but they're crispy and tasty.
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    thanks everyone! i def would rather something not processed and healthier....for sure.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I like the versatility of tofu better (prefer sprouted tofu), and I like that I can buy it cheaper. That said, I'm trying not to eat so much heavily processed soy, so I've mainly switched to tempeh. It's not quite so versatile, but I do like it.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    We don't have, as far as I'm aware, tempeh here in the UK. I get a brand called Cauldron tofu which I press to get the extra water out before cooking

Also Mori-nu is another brand, I use that for mousses and desserts as its a silken variety.
  • clh126
    clh126 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of tempeh. The texture is definitely firmer than tofu and therefore may work better for people who are carnivores or tofu averse, but the taste just doesn't do it for me. For tofu I always buy the extra firm kind and let it rest for a half hour with a cutting board on top to squish the water out as someone else suggested. Freezing it alters the texture too and makes it firmer.

Another option someone mentioned is seitan. This is my favorite out of all of them. It's not soy though, but wheat gluten, so if you have any sort of gluten sensitivity, steer clear of that one
  • Benn70
    Benn70 Posts: 1
    Options
    I prefer tofu. I find that using a tofu press..I use the EZ Tofu Press (sold on Amazon) gets more water out and allows for a better texture and flavor absorption. When tofu is not properly pressed the tofu can be watery!
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    thanks!!! I'll def try that!
    I don't like the taste of tempeh. You can make tofu firmer by pressing the water out. get a tofu press or put tofu between two cutting boards and put a couple big books on top for 30 minutes.

also freeze and thaw helps the texture.

I should add you should wrap it in towels when pressing it.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Tempeh is one of my favorite foods!!! I would check in the cookbook Veganomicon for some good recipes. I've made just about everything in there and I highly recommend them all. My favorite thing to do with tempeh is pan-fry it and glaze it with barbeque sauce.

I'm not a big fan of making tofu at home because I have a hard time getting it to the texture I prefer. I even have a tofu press, which was a good investment, but even that doesn't make it as firm as I'd like. I hate wiggly tofu :P haha
  • xTenaciousJx
    xTenaciousJx Posts: 555
    Options
    thanks everyone!!
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    thanks!!! I'll def try that!
    I don't like the taste of tempeh. You can make tofu firmer by pressing the water out. get a tofu press or put tofu between two cutting boards and put a couple big books on top for 30 minutes.

also freeze and thaw helps the texture.

I should add you should wrap it in towels when pressing it.

I always forget this and have a worktop full of curdy juice
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i prefer tempeh! i made these a couple of days ago - http://www.food.com/recipe/italian-flavored-tempeh-nuggets-315262

there's also a bacon tempeh recipe in the cookbook, 30 minute vegan, which i also like very much.