Surprise! Didn't see THAT coming!

Options
Did you ever eat something you thought would be healthy and then tracked it and were SHOCKED! I mean, I consider myself pretty smart when it comes to reading labels, but I got sucker punched today!

I had Four Sisters vegan sushi that I bought at the farmers market. I had one roll of it. It's VEGAN right? AND sushi. AND full of organic vegetables. Tis also full of 40+ grams of fat! And it didn't even have avocado so I have NO IDEA where the fat is coming from. I think maybe it had quinoa in it which has fat? But I didn't realize it was so much!

That's ALL my fat for a day! In a wee sushi roll!

(And it didn't even taste that good.)

Have you ever been sucker-punched by food you thought was lite and healthy??

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Raw Vegan can be quite high in fat due to all of the nuts and olive oil used. Not saying it's not healthy just the amount of calories from fats suprised me. I went on a raw vegan meditation retreat a couple of years ago in Egypt and there were about 8 tablespoons of olive oil in the pizza base plus nuts!

Quinoa is low fat so I would not think that was responsible for the fat in your sushi roll.
  • Livingdeadgirl44
    Livingdeadgirl44 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    The big shock for me was fruit juice. Thought it was really healthy but have a pint and you many as well have just had a meal :(
  • emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options
    Nuts... I really never paid attention. Avocado surprised me too..Cheese too.. I never really thought cheese was 'healthy' but I was surprised to see how bad it was.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    That's why I log everything ahead of time.
  • katbragg
    katbragg Posts: 6
    Options
    Honey mustard, some of it can be really high in fat. You have to look carefully at the label.
  • vlb0714
    vlb0714 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been in that situation to. We were going to go to outback, so I got on the site, looked at all of the choices and nutrition facts and picked out what I wanted for lunch and logged it (as I always do). Well, we went to chili's instead - so I ordered some veggie wrap, no sauce, no cheese. When I looked it up later, it had like 700+ cal - I was disgusted lol I didn't even have any sides. Goes to show you, you just never know! I always look up things beforehand
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    I do try to logs stuff beforehand, but we all get caught out now and again! For me it was a spur-of-the-moment stop at a farmer's market and my cell phone isn't a smart phone or anything so I can't check on the go. I was actually really surprised that a little Ottawa company (four sisters) has their nutritional information already posted here on MFP!

I googled it and what I ate was "Raw Sushi - A combination of organic seasonal vegetables, lettuces and sprouts rolled into a sunflower seed pate all wrapped up in nori. A unique and healthy raw food." I do believe that sunflower seed pate is probably responsible for the 40+ grams of fat!!!!

And I agree about juice. I splurged with my sushi and had a cup of raspberry-lemonade (it's summer and a market! of course I wanted lemonade!). All together my vaguely healthy-ish lunch was over 500 calories and all of my day's fat. And I have a small steak in the fridge for dinner! Oops!
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    That's why I log everything ahead of time.

^This!
  • Saiklor
    Saiklor Posts: 183
    Options
    What do you do if you're going to a restaurant and they don't have an online menu? Or if you're eating at a friend's house and don't know the exact foods you'll be having? Or plan to go to a farmer's market and don't know what food stalls are there?

I try to log ahead of time, but there are lots of times when it's not feasible!
  • littlebuddy84
    littlebuddy84 Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a mini jam donut. 299 calories that's just ridiculous!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I hate when that happens - you think ahhh this shouldn't be that bad and then go to log and WHOOPSIE!! I agree it's not always possible to log ahead of time - sometimes things come up...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of salads available at both restaurants and fast food places that have a jaw dropping (or should I say belly flopping) number of calories and fat. I'm talking 1300 cal with 40+ fat grams. And be careful when you order turkey burgers or veggie burgers. Check the numbers before you order. There's several places where the standard, red meat and cheese burger is 300-400 calories less than the so called healthy option.
  • imlik
    imlik Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What do you do if you're going to a restaurant and they don't have an online menu? Or if you're eating at a friend's house and don't know the exact foods you'll be having? Or plan to go to a farmer's market and don't know what food stalls are there?

I try to log ahead of time, but there are lots of times when it's not feasible!

I estimate, try to find similar products from other restaurants, and log it as well as I can. If I'm way over, oh well! Tomorrow is a new day, and I'll know not to eat whatever terrible thing put me over, next time.
  • zaithyr
    zaithyr Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    That's why I only track bad fats. If the fat is a healthy fat coming from an avocado or olive oil or something, I don't worry about it. Just have to watch it on the calories, but just because something has a lot of "fat" in it doesn't mean it's bad. I eat an avocado just about every other day and cook with olive oil.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    2 Tbsps of chopped nuts in my oatmeal and I've suddenly eaten 48 grams of fat?
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Dried fruit...I love dried cranberries, blueberries, apricots...love! I try to avoid the fried-before-dried fruits, try to find low sugar dried frutis...and still, the calorie count on a 1/3 cp makes me want to cry.

Shrimp completely blew my mind in cholesterol. I never once considered that seafood could be bad on cholesterol...until I had shrimp cocktail no sauce and went over my chol limits with a meal to go for the day!