Need to lose 100+ lbs any tips or advice?

Options
I need to lose 100+ pounds. I did good for the first few weeks and now it seems like I am gaining instead of losing. Could it be muscle that I am gaining? I try to work out at least 5 days a week. Any tips or advice? Any would be appreciated :)

Replies

• saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24lbs so far. Last week, I gained 2lbs. It can't be fat because I haven't changed anything besides water intake. It has to be water weight. So that could be your case or you could be gaining muscle as well.
  • BrandiL83
    BrandiL83 Posts: 100
    Options
    I have been trying to increase my water intake. I have been doing half my body weight in ounces. Which that is A LOT of water lol.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Tracking everything you eat accurately makes a big difference. It's easy just to eyeball things and eat a lot more calories than you expect. I thought I was eating 500 calories for lunch one day, then I looked up the serving sizes of everything, turned out I was eating 1,000.

I don't know how I ever managed to lose any weight doing that, but I'm down 78 pounds at the moment, with another 30 or 40 to go.
  • BrandiL83
    Options
    I was going to start measuring everything out with measuring cups. except for meat, im not sure how to do that without a food scale. might have to look into getting one.

thanks for the advice :)
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Realize that there are weeks your scale will say a higher number. That it might happen for a few weeks at a time. It sucks. But unless you are way overrating or measuring incorrectly it's not likely to be fat. It could be muscles retaining water, it could be your time of the month (I can put up to 2kg on if weighing in a couple of days before) you could have had too much sodium.

My simple rules are log everything, drink enough water and never give up. I've had days where ive wanted to just pig out. In nearly a year of doing this I think I've had two days where it's told me I would gain weight based on the day I had.
  • BrandiL83
    Options
    any advice on what to eat? what not to eat? i feel like i am slipping back into my old habits and i do not want to be there. i am having a really tough time with food.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    For meat I also don't have a food scale so I take a piece the size of my palm without the fingers(or the size of a deck of cards) that is about 3-4 oz which should be a serving. Be careful its not too thick a piece(such as some chicken breasts can be) if so reduce to half your palm or so. Some people have more for protein reasons but I usually stick to that unless I know protein was low that morning and afternoon.

Weight Watchers sells these awesome food scoops in 1/2 cup and 1 cup sizes I LOVED those for portioning.
  • BrandiL83
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. the meat always gets me!
    For meat I also don't have a food scale so I take a piece the size of my palm without the fingers(or the size of a deck of cards) that is about 3-4 oz which should be a serving. Be careful its not too thick a piece(such as some chicken breasts can be) if so reduce to half your palm or so. Some people have more for protein reasons but I usually stick to that unless I know protein was low that morning and afternoon.

Weight Watchers sells these awesome food scoops in 1/2 cup and 1 cup sizes I LOVED those for portioning.
  • Mandanbil
    Mandanbil Posts: 40
    Options
    To have gained 1lb in FAT you would have had to have eaten 3500 calories on top of your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), so 2lbs of FAT would be 7000 as well as your TDEE, if not it is water etc. Please search for posts In Place of a Road Map and How to Lose Weight Correctly, they both hold a good amount of information and join the Eat More to Weigh Less Group. I too have about this much to lose and I cannot starve it off I wouldn't last 5 minutes. If you want to friend me you are most welcome, we are all in this together and are having the same issues. Good luck to you and don't get discouraged, Mandy
  • blandwriter
    blandwriter Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My struggle is less about food than my 'tude. The other day I was driving to work thinking, Wow, I've lost 43 pounds and when I get to a point when I've lost 100 pounds, I'll still be significantly overweight. Yay me." That's stinkin' thinkin'.

So, you have to get your head right and, at least for me, it is a daily fight to keep my head right. Also, I've had to accept certain facts that involve math and physiology, meaning it's going to that a seriously long time for me to lose the weight I need to lose. I mean a reallllllly long time. So, I have to look past small bumps in the road-- a bad choice here, a gain on the scale there, and focus on the positive changes I've made.

Also, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of planning. Planning meals. Planning ahead, way ahead. At first I resented it. Now, it's just part of my reality.

Finally, get a digital scale. They sell them at Target, Bed Bath & Beyond, just consider it an investment in a tool for your success. It's a fact that people routinely underestimate how much they eat (and overestimate how much they exercise). I also resented weighing and measuring everything, now, I just do it. It's part of my reality.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Seriously!!! Take it one day at a time. NO JOKE. this weight did not get put on over night. its not going to come off over night.

I have lost 18 pounds so far.. Have not been the best at it but I am still a work in progress. Just believe in yourself. NEVER tell your self you cant do it. I am struggling with that right now..

Look at peoples Diaries and see how they are doing it. Thats been the best for me. I do not always eat well especially on the weekends we are so busy.

Remember to drink your water.. I feel so much better after I have had my water.

Start small on the workouts til you are more comfortable. I ride my mountain bike as much as possible and I LOVE IT. Starting to ride to work..
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I started out with literally 137 lbs to lose just to get to the high end of the recommended weight for my height. I'm now down 72 lbs so I'm past the half way point, but it's taken me 1.5 years to get this far. I didn't want to be hungry all the time, nor did I want to give up my favorite foods. I only exercise 3-4 days a week, 1 hour only because in my past I let it consume me, exercising 2 hours at a time every day of the week. I lost weight quickly, but it wasn't sustainable nor liveable.

I share all that because slow and steady wins the race. It is a life time of change you're trying to do so it's OK if it takes a while. I eat heavily on protein and eat a lot of vegetables normally. I do work to get my water in daily as well. I cut out all soda and only drink water or unsweetened tea (with stevia). I still have a cupcake at least once a week :bigsmile: So enjoy the ride... you need to build habits for a lifetime!
  • joolzsd
    joolzsd Posts: 51
    Options
    The food scale was key for me. Seeing a black & white number makes it a lot harder to fudge portions. I still use mine every day.
  • threnners
    threnners Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stop getting on the scales. I have been stuck at/around the same point for three weeks now, but I started measuring my arms, thighs, calves, hips, and waist from the beginning, and I've collectively lost 10.8 inches, so SOMETHING is happening even if the scale says it isn't.
  • etfan
    etfan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    great advice!
  • missxjuicy
    missxjuicy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'd say log in everything you eat. It's easier when you eat the same foods since it saves it. Stay under calorie goal. If youre not losing you may have to increase your calories. I started with 1200, stopped losing, increased it to 1300 & lost 5 lbs. Stick to mainly water.. keeps you full longer. I use crystal light. I eat mainly home prepared meals. Some of my meals are: Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, turkey deli meat, fruits, yogurt, nuts, chicken, tuna, (or any kinda meat in a small portion), special k, 1% milk or lower, veggies, wraps, eggs, cheese, salads, sweet potatoes, brown or parboiled rice & anything else on days I feel like just having pizza/pasta/hot dogs/pancakes.. I just log it in & work it into my calories. I use a measuring cup to measure stuff or count by tablespoons. I'm looking to buy some big measuring spoons to make this easier. A full fist about a cup and the palm of your hand is 3 ounces of meat. Measuring is very important.

11662968.png
  • barbara4599
    barbara4599 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you have $20 to spare, you can pick up a food scale and it is so worth it for learning portions. I've been weighing everything and it has really helped. Also, consider making your diary public. I find I make better choices (usually) when I know my friends are going to look at it. As for what to eat - feel free to browse my diary, and other peoples, for ideas.

Some of my regular food - greek yogurt and granola (only 1 oz!), kashi cereal and almond milk (only 40 cal a cup and twice the calcium!), veggie omelets (1 whole egg, 1 white), grilled chicken, no skin, steamed broccoli w/spray butter. And of course the stereotypical health food - salad! I made a list of my favorite ingredients (romaine, carrots, red pepper, chick peas, shredded cheese, chopped chicken, etc.) and the calories and put it on my fridge so I can throw together something quick based on wha I have chopped and ready.

Good luck! You are setting a great example for your kids :-)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Definitely get a food scale, its one of the best tools you can have! You can get a digital one from Walmart probably for less than 20 bucks. If your muscles are sore, they could be retaining water, which can show a gain, plus certain times of the month we woman just usually retain water. Hang in there! :-)
  • katbragg
    katbragg Posts: 6
    Options
    Walmart had a food scale for $4.97. It's not fancy but it works
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Watch your sodium levels, eat as much fruit and vegetables as you want, be careful with oils because they are very high in calories for very little food (120 calories per tablespoon). Research calorie density and eat as much food as you want with a low calorie density! Good luck!!