New to HIIT

Options
I am interested in starting with HIIT, but don't know much about it. I've read that a good way to start brisk walking on the tredmill for 30 seconds followed by sprinting for 30 seconds. And do this about 7 times. 2-3 times a week. Does this sound right? What other exercises can be done? I'm very interested in what others are doing who are into HIIT.

Replies

• Fit_Mama84
    Fit_Mama84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    And what are good exercises to do in between HIIT workouts?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You've got it exactly right. What you're doing now is a slight variation of the sprint 8. 2 min warmup, 30 sec sprint, 90 sec normal pace, 30 sec, 90 sec......for a total of 8 sprints. Tack on a 2 min cool down and you've got a pretty difficult 20 min workout. I usually do that one running outside or on the elliptical. The treadmill takes too long to get up to speed and slow down for my taste.

I also do HIIT with jumping rope, burpees and a few other things. I'll set my timer to 45 secs on, 15 secs rest, or 60 on, 15 rest. When I started 30/30 worked best for me, but you'll find you improve pretty quickly.
  • nlawing
    nlawing Posts: 36
    Options
    I like to do a short HIIT workout on my bike.

4 minute warm-up
    Stretch
    For 20 minutes do an interval for each minute (45 seconds low/mid intensity, then for 15 seconds raise the magnetic resistance a few levels and go 100%)
    2 minute cooldown

Very effective and challenging exercise for only 20 minutes. It's also variable, if you want more of a challenge, try a 40/20 interval, go higher on the resistance, or go longer.
  • tizzie_14
    tizzie_14 Posts: 72
    Options
    Turbofire has HIIT training. You go as hard as you can for a minute then rest for a minute. My guess is you could do it with a bunch of different exercises. TF has lots of squat jumps, jumping jacks, etc
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I suggest you buy a wonderful book that is sure to help you. "Body by Science" written by a doctor and famous trainer, John Little. Another good book is "The New High Intensity Training" by Ellington Darden, PH.D. Of course, there are lots of resources online and many other good books on HIT. But you need to get a good foundation in it and really understand it before you start a HIT program.