Beyond frustrated and need answers please

Options

Replies

• kristenn1989
    kristenn1989 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I've seen my doctor. They've tested my blood levels. Only thing the doc said to me was move more and eat even less.
    See another doctor. If you feel like something is wrong, then find someone who will listen. Please get a second opinion.

THIS
    I have hypothyroidism and it didn't show up on certain blood tests until I did my own research and INSISTED on getting them redone over and over.

They've been testing me for it for years and I always come back within "normal" range. Or whatever that means.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    By the way, you might want to re-check your targets as well as your activity level. Using MFP's BMR calculator, I get 1,530.

I hope this is helping some, but I can sure understand your frustration!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    You've said eating more didn't help. I'm curious, what were the calories you were eating and for what length of time?

When I first started losing weight I usually aimed for 1300-1400. I did that from december 2010- december 2011. I ended up weighing 146lbs and I tried upping my calories to slow down weight loss.

Then, health problems (iron-deficiency anemia) and a few others helped me pack on a few pounds. I've just been given the all better sign recently.

That's good you've been given the all better sign recently. You can get the weight loss happening again. You've proved you can with the first lot of 70 pounds lost. Take a look at what else contributed to your weight gain apart from medical issues and learn from that - Did you slack off too much, where you too strict when lost 70 pounds, could you eat better foods to keep iron from going low again, etc. I look forward to seeing you lose weight again and getting back to that profile pic and then to goal.
  • orishp
    orishp Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Did you change the brand of BC pills you are using? I know when I got the implanon I gained 10 lbs in less than a month! and it is only now that I have been able to lose it.

I peeked at your diary and it doesn't look that bad at all. I agree with previous poster, I would go back to whatever was working for you before
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I agree about the doctor.

I had a generally very healthy diet and most days was right on target. After I started tracking diligently, I found that dumb little small things that were WAY more than I thought they were I now know. Enough to put my a thousand calories over a week - which adds up fast in terms of poundage.

In addition, when I walk a lot in the summer, I tend to hold water and also to drink things that have lots of calories.

I agree with everyone else. If you have a hectic schedule, you may be eating a lot of small things that add up. It's really easy to do.

Look at portion control visual guides:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/portion-control/NU00267&slide=5

This one fits in your pocket:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/printable/wallet-portion-control-size-guide
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    You've said eating more didn't help. I'm curious, what were the calories you were eating and for what length of time?

When I first started losing weight I usually aimed for 1300-1400. I did that from december 2010- december 2011. I ended up weighing 146lbs and I tried upping my calories to slow down weight loss.

Then, health problems (iron-deficiency anemia) and a few others helped me pack on a few pounds. I've just been given the all better sign recently.

That's good you've been given the all better sign recently. You can get the weight loss happening again. You've proved you can with the first lot of 70 pounds lost. Take a look at what else contributed to your weight gain apart from medical issues and learn from that - Did you slack off too much, where you too strict when lost 70 pounds, could you eat better foods to keep iron from going low again, etc. I look forward to seeing you lose weight again and getting back to that profile pic and then to goal.

I was possibly too strict originally. I'm trying to find a happy-medium. When the health problems started, and before I diagnosis. I ate to give myself more "energy" which is how I gained about 10lbs. I didn't know why I was so zonked all the time. I'm still often tired a lot but I do get a lot more done now than I used to. I need to become more strict, but not too strict. I gave myself a bit more leeway when I was trying to up my iron but I think I need to become more strict again.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    I agree about the doctor.

I had a generally very healthy diet and most days was right on target. After I started tracking diligently, I found that dumb little small things that were WAY more than I thought they were I now know. Enough to put my a thousand calories over a week - which adds up fast in terms of poundage.

In addition, when I walk a lot in the summer, I tend to hold water and also to drink things that have lots of calories.

I agree with everyone else. If you have a hectic schedule, you may be eating a lot of small things that add up. It's really easy to do.

Look at portion control visual guides:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/portion-control/NU00267&slide=5

thanks for the links, I'll check them out.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Uh go to a doctor...Like now.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4 and 186 and without doing any exercise at all my calorie goal is set at 1330 to lose 1 pound a week. If I add a workout to that I usually eat about 300 more calories. It's been steady and slow but it is coming off and I'm very happy with it. I'm 48. Don't know if this helps you any or not.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 136lbs and do heavy weight workouts and I only eat 1800-2000 cals per day so that can't be right. The database values aren't very accurate. But if you've gained 23lbs since March the first thing that comes to mind is hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)...have you had bloodwork including thyroid done recently? If not, see your doc ASAP. The only way you will gain weight that fast is a problem with your endocrine system, thyroid or pregnancy and since immaculate conceptions aren't that common I'd def see ur doc!

Also, someone had mentioned the more muscle you put on your body the faster your metabolism gets, and I'm proof of that! But talk to your doc first...seems to me it's something out of whack in your system...good luck!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options

I was possibly too strict originally. I'm trying to find a happy-medium. When the health problems started, and before I diagnosis. I ate to give myself more "energy" which is how I gained about 10lbs. I didn't know why I was so zonked all the time. I'm still often tired a lot but I do get a lot more done now than I used to. I need to become more strict, but not too strict. I gave myself a bit more leeway when I was trying to up my iron but I think I need to become more strict again.

Its understandable you ate more for energy. Now with the iron levels sorted you can start to get things on track again.
    Were you iron levels low because of your food choices or a medical issue? You may need to supplement your iron if can't get it from food so it doesn't happen again.
  • aymetcalf
    aymetcalf Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Took a look at your diary - seems like you need way more protein and less on carbs. Try eggs (or eggs whites) for breakfast instead of cereal. Look into frozen chicken or canned tuna - both cheap options for protein. For dairy, try almond milk (low protein but also low in calories) or greek yogurt. Every meal should include protein and fiber. :flowerforyou:
  • Jessicaarceneaux
    Jessicaarceneaux Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How much salt, sugar and white flour products are you eating? It makes a huge difference just by taking these three things out of your diet to lose....believe me I know.

I agree with Vickie, even if you stay under you calories sugar, salt, and the quality of your foods (processed) can deter weight loss.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    I'm 5'7", 136lbs and do heavy weight workouts and I only eat 1800-2000 cals per day so that can't be right. The database values aren't very accurate. But if you've gained 23lbs since March the first thing that comes to mind is hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)...have you had bloodwork including thyroid done recently? If not, see your doc ASAP. The only way you will gain weight that fast is a problem with your endocrine system, thyroid or pregnancy and since immaculate conceptions aren't that common I'd def see ur doc!

Also, someone had mentioned the more muscle you put on your body the faster your metabolism gets, and I'm proof of that! But talk to your doc first...seems to me it's something out of whack in your system...good luck!

I just had a blood test last week or the week before. It was rather recent.
  • kristenn1989
    Options

Its understandable you ate more for energy. Now with the iron levels sorted you can start to get things on track again.
    Were you iron levels low because of your food choices or a medical issue? You may need to supplement your iron if can't get it from food so it doesn't happen again.

I never got a real answer as to why my iron was low. I was eating enough of it at that point. The answer I got was "it's common in young women." I currently supplement my iron on doctors orders and have to for the next 6 months.
  • Lukasmum1
    Lukasmum1 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Looking at your diary - you are going over on carbs a lot, and down on protein.

You need to solidly log your food for at least 2 weeks to get back on track, also to make sure you are not missing out on loaded calorie/carb meals.

I work on a lower carb, higher protein regime. Keep within my fat allowance, and have upped my fibre intake to 30g.

I never eat into my exercise calories, as they work as a bonus loss over time.

The way I see it is;
    The idea of MFP apart from the wonderful support we gain from people here - is not to find excuses but be solely responsible for how we manage our food choices, lifestyle, and future maintenance of this.
  • stephanie1133
    Options
    1 of 2 things are going on if you are gaining weight consistently:

#1 you are not being completely honest (maybe even with yourself) about your calorie intake and are indeed eating in excess as to gain that much weight.

#2 there is something wrong with you medically.

I know you said you've been to the dr and everything is fine, so that leads me to believe probably #1 is the case.

If you are eating in a caloric deficit you will lose weight, unless there is a medical issue (this includes medication reaction). Everyone who is trying to lose weight (ok maybe not everyone, but most), have times where they gain a few pounds due to water weight, but not over 20 pounds.

I'm not meaning this in a snarky or rude way at all, just as my honest opinion. Wanted to add that since it's hard to tell tone when reading a post.
  • kristenn1989
    Options
    1 of 2 things are going on if you are gaining weight consistently:

#1 you are not being completely honest (maybe even with yourself) about your calorie intake and are indeed eating in excess as to gain that much weight.

#2 there is something wrong with you medically.

I know you said you've been to the dr and everything is fine, so that leads me to believe probably #1 is the case.

If you are eating in a caloric deficit you will lose weight, unless there is a medical issue (this includes medication reaction). Everyone who is trying to lose weight (ok maybe not everyone, but most), have times where they gain a few pounds due to water weight, but not over 20 pounds.

I'm not meaning this in a snarky or rude way at all, just as my honest opinion. Wanted to add that since it's hard to tell tone when reading a post.

I don't find this snarky or rude in the slightest.

I'm trying to find out if option 2 is a possibility or to rule out before I lay any blame solely on option 1. Even so, I don't think I'd be able to gain this much weight, this quickly.
  • NathBeaudoin
    Options
    Reading all the answers, i would like to make sure that you weight your food and calculate honestly your calories including all the fat use in cooking, etc... without cutting short at the corner... (this is a french expression, I hope it does mean the same thing in english).

I had similar situation and i have been using "Eliminex" tea, very dillute and it help me to éliminate the extra water and to be regular.

(Personnaly, I am not an active person, so to stay as i am a need 1800 cal per day, and if i need to loose weight than i need to reduce to 1200 cal per day.)

Hope it helps. :)
    Nat
  • kutenno
    kutenno Posts: 1
    Options
    are you taking any medications?

nothing aside from birth control pills

It could be your birth control doing it as well. I know for myself, something changed in my birth control pill and i've gradually gained weight without really noticing. Haven't changed my diet and although I know it's only 10lbs, it could still be something as simple and that. Hormones do strange things to us ladies.