Advice on GNC supplements...

Options
My husband and I were in there today. These are the two products that the guy in there reccomended for me.

http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11500279

and

http://store.ndsnutrition.com/nds-diet-energy/3-in-1/

Are these worth getting? I don't want to be tricked here. I know they work based on commission so I'm sure the guy would say anything for a sale.

I do take medication for a hypothyroid which is why he said the 3-in-1 would be a good one for me.

I already take a multi-vitamin, B6, and a Omega complex thing.

Replies

• LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    No to both.

A good rule of thumb: if a GNC salesperson recommends it, it's a waste of $$.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    No to both.

Can you give me a reason why though?
  • MrsBully4
    MrsBully4 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    If the mixed up junk in those pills actually made anyone lose weight no one would be fat.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    If the mixed up junk in those pills actually made anyone lose weight no one would be fat.

From what I read the 3-in-1 isn't neccasarilly for wieght loss as much as it is to help regulate certain parts of your body. I do have a problem with my thyroid so the idea of something helping that (because my thyroid effects so much more than my weight) than I'm more than happy to take it.

I just don't know if it's legit.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I would never trust a GNC counter person - most of the time they are simply there for a paycheck and not trained in what suppliments really do - and if they do get any training, its usually company GNC flavor to push what has the most margin.

If you want solid suppliment advice, seek out a trainer at your gym, if you dont belong to a gym, sign up for a brief session with one at www.fitorbit.com

or... seek out some of the better known folks here and ask them directly.
  • RuthSweetTooth
    RuthSweetTooth Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend any money on those after reading up on vitamins and minerals . . . a cheap One a Day has plenty of what you need. We tend to take much more than we need already. You can look and see what I take. Have you been tested for thyroid? Because you're losing weight just fine . . .
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    I wouldn't spend any money on those after reading up on vitamins and minerals . . . a cheap One a Day has plenty of what you need. We tend to take much more than we need already. You can look and see what I take. Have you been tested for thyroid? Because you're losing weight just fine . . .

Yes. I'm taking medication for it. I need to be tested soon to see if I need to raise or lower the dosage.
  • LesterBlackstone
    LesterBlackstone Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    If you want solid suppliment advice, seek out a trainer at your gym

No. Personal trainers have no nutritional training. They have no business recommending supplements (and will often pimp whatever the gym wants them to sell).

OP: 99.999% of the supplements out there are garbage. A mutivitamin and possibly fish oil (if you don't eat much fish) are probably all you need.
  • mmreed
    mmreed Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you want solid suppliment advice, seek out a trainer at your gym

No. Personal trainers have no nutritional training. They have no business recommending supplements (and will often pimp whatever the gym wants them to sell).

OP: 99.999% of the supplements out there are garbage. A mutivitamin and possibly fish oil (if you don't eat much fish) are probably all you need.

depends on your trainer...

Mine is a certified nutritionist, has a masters in kineseology, and is married to a professional chef. He knows food, suppliments, and fitness. And isnt pimping anything from the gym since the gym doesnt sell anything.

maybe if you belonged to one of those social club gyms... then yeah... but a real trainer knows nutrition as well.
  • motherbetty
    motherbetty Posts: 170 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm taking medication for it. I need to be tested soon to see if I need to raise or lower the dosage.

Don't take anything that can interfere with your thyroid meds - ever. If your thyroid medication is interfered with, it could stop working and cause you all sorts of problems that will be very difficult to regulate. I have been on synthroid for years and this was one of the biggest warnings from my doctors.
  • lisakammwang
    lisakammwang Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    If you eat a healthy diet...you don't need multivitamins. Everything you don't utilize you pee out. As far as your thyroid...regulate your synthroid based on your TSH levels...don't mess with the supplements!
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I would consult your doctor about any supplements you want to take. You never know if they may have a reaction to your Rx meds.
  • Alexstrasza
    Options
    Thank you for the advice everyone. I've been doing research online and I think I will talk to my doctor first. I take my multivitamins and omega complex everyday and seem fine so far.

The only other supplement type thing I use is protein powder/bars. We've also found an online store to buy our protein powder that is like $30 cheaper than GNC!
  • currlygirrl
    currlygirrl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    No to both.

Just because a person works for GNC doesn't mean that they don't care or have no knowledge of what they are talking about. My husband is a manger of one and he has a BS in exercise and also takes continuing ed every year to keep up his NCSC certification. In addition he never recommends things to people that they don't need, or just for a commission. He also asks people about heath concerns and steers them away from things that may interfere with what they are taking or urges them to talk to their DR.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    No to both.

Just because a person works for GNC doesn't mean that they don't care or have no knowledge of what they are talking about. My husband is a manger of one and he has a BS in exercise and also takes continuing ed every year to keep up his NCSC certification. In addition he never recommends things to people that they don't need, or just for a commission. He also asks people about heath concerns and steers them away from things that may interfere with what they are taking or urges them to talk to their DR.

However many of their salesperson don't have much credentials to boot which is why it is important to check their credentials first & also ask for external advice (like the OP does) before considering buying an item. To be a good salesperson is simply to have good communication & people skills, that's it.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo Posts: 3,634 Member
    Options
    double post sorry