I can't eat 2,000 calories for dinner...

Options

Replies

• wookiemouse
    wookiemouse Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    If her TDEE is 2600 then 1900 will definitely have her lose weight.

Since this is a "daily event" for you, you need to plan ahead and earlier. I like to double up on things - like 2 packets of oatmeal instead of 1, toss in a chopped apple and some pecans, that gets me a 500 cal breakfast instead of 150! Make sure your morning and afternoon snacks are between 200-300 cals. And I always plug my dinner and lunch in for the day in the AM if I know it - it helps me plan easier, so that I can add a little to lunch and a little to dinner instead of a LOT to dinner alone.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don't see how your base goal can be set to 1,900 and you're still expected to lose weight...? If you set your activity level to active then I don't think you're expected to eat back your exercise calories if it's that particular exercise that makes you qualify as "active".
    Just my $0.02

I don't know the OPs weight or how much she wants to lose but I'm guessing she is heavier. I started at 1800 and lost weight quickly. I'm currently losing weight on 1673 calories. You don't need to starve to lose weight.
  • small_ninja
    small_ninja Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I don't see how your base goal can be set to 1,900 and you're still expected to lose weight...? If you set your activity level to active then I don't think you're expected to eat back your exercise calories if it's that particular exercise that makes you qualify as "active".
    Just my $0.02

I don't know the OPs weight or how much she wants to lose but I'm guessing she is heavier. I started at 1800 and lost weight quickly. I'm currently losing weight on 1673 calories. You don't need to starve to lose weight.

Yeah, I understand that, I was just wondering if that means she's required to eat her exercise calories back as well... 2,800 seems like an awful lot to eat whilst "dieting" is all I'm thinking.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    Your protein is way to low for the huge burns you're getting in workouts. You will lose a lot of muscle along with fat if your protein isn't up where it should be (and the goal default settings on MFP are wrong). If you can't eat enough clean food to close the gap then I would say you're working out too much. You will likely get yourself into a situation where you either stall due to overtraining or gain when you fall off the wagon due to calorie restriction. Also, wouldn't be so concerned with natural sugars from fruits and veggies as with added sugars and simple carb sugars like from potatoes.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

Everyone says that...... heavier people burn more calories in less time than thin people.

Who is everyone and where are you getting your information. This could be a major part of your problem.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I see some people who eat anything to reach their goal.. but I feel like eating junkfood is taboo.. plus I had pizza last night lol and don't want to flub today too.

Advice?

Eating pizza isn't "flubbing" and "junk" food isn't taboo. If you don't want to eat it, fine, but don't associate guilt/shame with food, it never ends well.

I used to have the problem (lots of left over calories), actually, I had an ED, and when I was in recovery I used smoothies or juice to make up the calories, it's a really easy way to pack in some guilt free calories without having to eat like a fiend.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You can add a couple of snacks along the way. Something between b'fast and lunch and between lunch and dinner. A serving of peanuts will give you 150-200 calories.

But I have to ask about the amount of calories you're shooting for. I'm a 240 pound male, and it's a rare, rare day that MFP has my target at 2800 calories. That would be 1200 additional workout calories added to the 1590 that I get just for being so incredibly handsome.

I don't know your stats or your goals, but are you certain that 2000 calories (before exercise) is your proper target?
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options

Everyone says that...... heavier people burn more calories in less time than thin people.

Who is everyone and where are you getting your information. This could be a major part of your problem.

There's a ton of information on that here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    including the scientific studies the information comes from. This is pretty much accepted as fact in the physiology field that the bigger you are, the more calories you burn at rest and during exercise. Honestly, we don't need to turn to physiology to know this, however, it's physics 101. The larger the mass, the more energy it takes to move it. Think about it this way: which car burns more fuel, a tiny 2 seat model, or a huge pickup truck?
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I'm with ya today, I went into dinner 1800 calories short of goal! My thought is this: if you feel like you ate enough, you probably did and you don't always have to eat back every exercise calorie. On the other hand, if you are feeling run down, you're having issues completing your workouts, etc. then you do need to up the calories to fuel that energy burn. I don't think it's ever the right answer to overeat, just because some website tells you to.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Well, I wish (sometimes) i had that problem. Actually, I had something similar happen - I had eaten extremely healthy food that was very filling and low cal - and had a LARGE amount of calories AFTER dinner to use up or something close to it.. I was stuffed at that point and just gave up.

That said, I honestly can't think HOW to get that amount in in one meal without having some non-uber healthy foods. You could EASILY hit it with a bacon double cheeseburger and a milkshake (probably OVER 2000 calories)... although the thought of such a thing makes me gag now. I rarely crave that stuff anymore. Pizza? Sure.. :) and maybe a homemade cheeseburger, but not the fast food variety.

Anyhow - I don't think you have much hope of hitting that with healthy foods(which may not be a priority for you anyhow) - you could do some milk and 4tlbspns of peanut butter on whole grain bread -- just that alone would be about 700-800 calories. Maybe do that for a snack? then you only have 1200 to worry about for dinner.

Good luck! oh, and tell me, HOW do you get to eat that many calories?!! lol. My maintenance is around 2400 give or take. I can't imagine getting to diet with 2800!! :) GOOD LUCK!
    When you need a large quantity of calories, a bacon cheeseburger IS a healthy option. Food doesn't exist in a vacuum, nothing is inherently healthy or unhealthy on it's own, it all depends on context, dosage, and specific need.
  • missashley884
    missashley884 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    the more you workout, the more you need to eat. maybe dont workout as much
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    If it only happens once in a while and you're not hungry, it's ok to have a big deficit. If it's happening more often than not, plan ahead so you don't end up with a big pile of calories at the end of the day. A little more at breakfast and lunch and a few 100-200 calorie snacks in between, and you're golden.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

There's a ton of information on that here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_metabolic_rate
    including the scientific studies the information comes from. This is pretty much accepted as fact in the physiology field that the bigger you are, the more calories you burn at rest and during exercise. Honestly, we don't need to turn to physiology to know this, however, it's physics 101. The larger the mass, the more energy it takes to move it. Think about it this way: which car burns more fuel, a tiny 2 seat model, or a huge pickup truck?

We aren't talking BMR. I was referring to calorie burn for exercise. Muscle burns more than fat too. I doubt someone heavy same age same heart rate same duration of exercise is going to burn more calories. It's not accepted fact that someone heavy is burning more calories when talking about eating exercise calories back. Too many heavier people think because e they exercise a bit they burn and need to eat back all calories her post is not making any sense if you review her exercise journal.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    OK, just had a quick browse through your diary. Couple of suggestions

For breakfast, try and aim for 500-600 calories. I would go for a big bowl of oatmeal (not instant) with toppings of choice. Banana and Maple syrup is my favourite but you can pretty much add in anything you like. Try to avoid the Bacon and fried foods as much as possible. Wholegrain - low salt low sugar is the way to go here.

Have a mid morning snack between breakfast and lunch, Nuts and fruit is always a good choice or peanut butter on a wholewheat bagel. Aim for 200-300 calories or even more depending how much you need

For Lunch, again aim for 500-600 calories,

Mid afternoon snack - again 200-300 calories, Milkshake or some greek yoghurt with fruits. I like hummous with carrot sticks. Salad with eggs/avocado/prawn/cheese etc etc etc

Dinner - Mine usually come in around 800ish. Eat pretty much what you like here. Any calories left over have a nice dessert or a glass of wine or some chocolate. Treat yourself. You've earned it with all the work you've done :drinker:

Great advice!

My favorite dessert is greek yogurt with some fruit. You could add a few tablespoons of nuts or granola to up the calories. :)
  • jadedone
    Options
    OK, just had a quick browse through your diary. Couple of suggestions

Try to avoid the Bacon and fried foods as much as possible. Wholegrain - low salt low sugar is the way to go here.

It's low sodium turkey bacon, and I microwave it. Very lean and no fried food here!

My bacon of choice is wellshire farms reduced fat low sodium pork bacon. 2 slices = 60 calories! And it is real bacon (and nitrate free!)
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I get butterball everyday turkey bacon that is 30 cal for 2!
  • jsidel126
    jsidel126 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I run 5 times a week and log it. This automatically increases my calories for the day. I have never eaten all my calories
    any day and am losing weight.

You can just not log your exercise and your calorie count will not increase nor vary from day to day due to variations in your
    exercises. If you keep under the daily calorie target you will not be eating your exercise calories. Why exercise if you are
    going to replace the calories just expended during exercise? If you are trying to lose weight and the daily target calories are
    enough to keep you satisfieded, seems like the best position to be in.
  • jadedone
    Options
    Just my $0.02

Yup me too. I actually upped my calories and continued losing at the same pace. I am at 1700 now.....
  • wwef9112
    wwef9112 Posts: 5
    Options
    Not sure how smart this is; but if you go to GNC you can get some whey protein. It has a decent amount of calories, and it's good for you. It's just protein. I'd do it before you do exercise, and after. That way you don't have to eat 2k calories all at once. I have a buddy that does that.
  • b0t23
    b0t23 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    only 800 calories between breakfast and lunch is too few.

You really should be balancing it out so that you eat more in those important meals.

you can also snack on things like peanut butter or something if you need to.

I did not look at your food diary but I think eating a bit more, especially when you know you will exercise a lot that day, could help