How to get your man to workout?

Options
I love my hubby, and he is my best friend. I wish he cared about his appearance. It would really be nice if he was into working out. I work hard to stay in shape and would like a little eye candy for me, too. Is it wrong for me to feel this way, and how can I get him to care?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    You can't make him do anything he doesn't want to do. Just lead by example - cook healthy meals, build movement into your together/family time and wait for him to decide that he needs to do it for him.
  • Bob314159
    Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    1. It's not wrong to feel that way

2. You probably can't push him to care
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    1. It's not wrong to feel that way

2. You probably can't push him to care

+1
  • Pickles11
    Pickles11 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Agreed you might not be able to get him to care.

That being said, when I decided to get in shape, my husband wasn't as motivated as me. I used MFP and worked out 3 or 4 months on my own without him really being part of it. It was tough, because when I was trying to count calories in dinner, he would just throw ingredients in without really thinking about it .

When I started seeing great results and started LOVING exercise and running, and it was all I could talk about, he started to get inspired and got into working out himself. He lost as much as I did in 4 months in like 3 weeks (darn men....) and 5 months later we are always looking for fun active things to do together. Because we are both at goal, we no longer stress about every calorie, but we still always make healthier choices and it has proved to be so great for us to be on the same page.

Sometimes it isn't putting pressure on someone that works- sometimes it just takes some inspiration. I recently got into biking like crazy and got a new bike for my birthday- my husband has used my bike several times and we plan on getting him one so we can do it together. Maybe you could get him to think of exercise activities as no exercise but fun, active things you can do together.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Im totally in the same boat... It's hard having a partner that does not want to be motivated and throws unhealthy choices into your shopping cart at the supermarket...
  • nhga47
    nhga47 Posts: 118
    Options
    One of my good friends has the same problem. She is all about going to the gym while he wants to sit on his *kitten* at home. I just went shopping for my nutrition plan with insanity. This eating several times a day is going to take some getting used to! I just looked in the mirror one day and said enough is enough. Maybe he will reach that point as well. We can hope! :)
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I love my hubby, and he is my best friend. I wish he cared about his appearance. It would really be nice if he was into working out. I work hard to stay in shape and would like a little eye candy for me, too. Is it wrong for me to feel this way, and how can I get him to care?

treats and rewards :wink: just like training a puppy!
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing.

A lot of us men take an inordinate amount of pleasure in deliberately not giving a monkey's about things girls care about. Appearance, tidyness, and footwear to name but 3.

It's what we do.

You might have to be cruel to be kind and just tell him he's lost some zing. Don't overdo it though. Once a month is enough. Too much and it becomes nagging, which never works.

Any advice on how to do the same with my hard working, 2 jobs wife would be much appreciated though.
  • Happylady123
    Happylady123 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yeah I get that part about not caring about what a girl cares about. That is what makes you guys male. I will say that he does change his shoes, shirt, etc. when asked when we go out.

My hubby is also a workaholic. That may be the main problem overall. He just doesn't fit the healthy life style in. He eats out a lot, but sometimes chooses healthier options at least when he is with me. He does rides bikes and horses with me. It is not like he is a couch potato, so I am glad of that.

As far as your wife goes... not sure why she is working so much, but it sounds like she may be getting her payoff from work. I mean it may be what makes her feel valued. Or it may be just getting bills paid. Try caring more about the "girl things" and she may want to be around more. Good luck, and thanks for your post.
  • Happylady123
    Options
    Agreed you might not be able to get him to care.

That being said, when I decided to get in shape, my husband wasn't as motivated as me. I used MFP and worked out 3 or 4 months on my own without him really being part of it. It was tough, because when I was trying to count calories in dinner, he would just throw ingredients in without really thinking about it .

When I started seeing great results and started LOVING exercise and running, and it was all I could talk about, he started to get inspired and got into working out himself. He lost as much as I did in 4 months in like 3 weeks (darn men....) and 5 months later we are always looking for fun active things to do together. Because we are both at goal, we no longer stress about every calorie, but we still always make healthier choices and it has proved to be so great for us to be on the same page.

Sometimes it isn't putting pressure on someone that works- sometimes it just takes some inspiration. I recently got into biking like crazy and got a new bike for my birthday- my husband has used my bike several times and we plan on getting him one so we can do it together. Maybe you could get him to think of exercise activities as no exercise but fun, active things you can do together.
    Totally not putting pressure on him... that is the surest way to get him headed in the other direction. He is coming around. Last night he rode bikes with me. I think it is just less of a concern for him, because he has so many other things pulling at him. Thanks for your reply.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Sexual positions that require some core strength? Give him some incentive. :laugh:
  • Happylady123
    Options
    Thanks, guys, for the replies. I guess it just confuses me how he can walk around with no shirt on and let it all hang out. It truely does not seem to bother him. Not trying to be mean, but I want to cover him up. I know... I am going to hell. lol
  • robinogue
    robinogue Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I don't. It's not my husbands thing, he's not into it and I love him and want him healthy but I can't push him to do something he does not enjoy.
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If you haven't talked to him about, don't think he can read your mind.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    You don't....each person is an individual and has to want to do this!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I'm not even gonna read the responses;

Step 1: Lead him to bedroom
    Step 2: Become naked
  • jones137
    jones137 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    We are not subtle creatures........things have to hit us in the face to wake us up.

One of the most important things for us is not to be considered a failure.......and if we feel like one we'll become motivated to change.

My motivation was my 3 year old son whispering "fat boy" in my ear......not sure if my wife put him up to it or if he came up with it on his own but if definitely motivated me to change and make them be proud of me and to be the example.

You, or more preferably one of the children or grandchildren, need to ride his case a little to get him to change. You'll make him mad initially but he'll thank you latter.
  • 152dbs
    152dbs Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Portion control his eating...when he works out, make bigger meals.
  • AmyM713
    AmyM713 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    I love my husband dearly but feel the same way, I know he would lose interest if I didn't put so much effort into my body. My husband has started working out with me but still has some bad habits he needs to break. I cook most of the meals so he eats healthy because I do. I just try to give him motivation and tell him how awesome hes doing. I'm just leading by example and hoping he gets to the point he feels he needs to make a change, either way I love him!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    If "I love you but I'd be a lot more sexually attracted to you if you ate better and worked out with me" doesn't work, nothing will

Going to the gym to get in shape is very different from having a naturally active lifestyle. You have almost no chance of getting him into a gym, but if you guys regularly ride bikes together and can eat better as a family, then not only do you have a good chance of succeeding with him, but it's a lifestyle change rather than a temporary "lose weight" tactic.