HELP - 1st week and lost nothing

Options
I got back on the bandwagon this week. I am eating on average 1500 cal per day and exercising 30 min or more for 6 days (either eliptical, treadmill with HITT training or walking) I don't count the exercise for extra calories (I log the exercise so I can track it,but put 1 calorie down for burned). I have tried in the past but when I am not successful, quit. So I said I am going to try this for a month. I logged all my food this week. I ate a bit more on Fri/Sat but less yesterday, so averaged about 1500 per day. And yes, I am writing everything down and I am hungry. And I am 80 lbs overweight, so I should be able to drop. So I weighed myself this morning and nothing, didn't lost a lb. In fact, I gained a lb since Thurs (weigh myself twice a wee). This is usualy where I say screw it and stop, but then I gain weight, so I really need encouragement to stick with it for a month so I have a good record and can see a doctor if this doesn't work. And yes, I have had my metabolism checked recently and I am ok on that.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your body needs time to adjust. One week isnt enough time for anything to work. Plus you started exercise so you will have water retention from that.
  • ediblepotential
    Options
    One week is not long enough. The weight wasn't gained over night, the loss won't be either. Stay consistent w/myfitnesspal & the exercise, you'll get there! :)
  • IamBrande
    IamBrande Posts: 237
    Options
    It going to take some time for your body to adjust to the new routine, and it may not want to let go to fast... just keep doing what you are doing, and you will lose the weight.. just look around you at everyone dropping the pounds!! It does happen, just not on our time frame!! :flowerforyou:
  • cvance3
    cvance3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I agree! I've been at this since March - Some weeks are better than others. But if this is something that you really want, you can find the motivation to stick with it, even though it's hard.

Also, I read something that said it takes about 4 weeks for you to notice a difference in your body - about 7 weeks for your family/close friends to notice - and TWELVE weeks for others to notice your changes! If you're making drastic changes to your diet AND adding exercise, be patient while your body adjusts to it.

Keep your chin up - add some motivating friends on here (you can add me, if you'd like!) - Keep tracking & working out, and even if the scale doesn't move in the beginning, you'll see changes in your clothes, in how you feel, in your fitness...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up and down by as much as 5lbs a week, so you may have hit a "heavy day". The main thing to note is the downward trend over time. Some people do this by just weighing once a week, but I prefer to weigh every day and record their lowest - it's more motivating that way! You may want to make your diary open to the public so we can better comment on your eating. If you're starving, make sure you're not set to lose more than 1lb a week. It might sounds slow, but you'll be able to stick with it better and you'll soon see that scale go down!
  • Yes2HealthyAriel
    Yes2HealthyAriel Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I agree with another post. You need to stick with it. For me some weeks I see loss and others I dont. Some days you may gain a pound or 2, no worries. Also remember that weight fluctuates, especially in women. Keep doing what you are doing and you will see some results.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it hun :) It always takes me a while to start losing. I hear stories about people making huge losses in the first few weeks and then slowing down- I'm the opposite, and I guess I'm not the only one. Good luck!
  • benich3043
    benich3043 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    It took me almost two and a half weeks to see a difference in the scale. I went up four pounds my first week. Give it time, Stick to it. It definitely isn't going to work if you quit.
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    I feel your pain. I have been stuck at a plateau for months but i don't / won't give up. I eat pretty clean and work out and my family has noticed that my moods are better, PMS isn't so bad and this month i didn't have cramps. You can't expect to lose 80 lbs in a month it took years to gain that weight it may take a long time to get it off. Just keep going and feel free to add me for support. :happy:
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Try not to stress too much. It can take up to 3-4 weeks for your body to normalize to a new routine, even if it's an old-new routine.

I went through the same thing when I fell off the wagon, after about 4 weeks of getting my act back together (and the scale doing terrible things to my psyche), things are moving along again.

Keep it up!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Just keep on going, a week in is probably too soon to tell, keep logging your food and next week hopefully you'll see something positive when you weigh in! :)
    I do think its easy for us all to put too much emphasis on what the scales say, keep up the good work and soon you'll see results :)
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Open up your diary and we can maybe give you tips on what you're eating/not eating. More than likely you aren't eating enough or your exercise is putting you below 1200 cals a day which means you are probably holding onto the weight. So many theories out there.
  • dward2011
    dward2011 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Keep going and you will begin to lose. Take measurements to track your progress, in addition to weight. I had a 3 week period in May in which no weight was lost.... but I lost 5 inches total on my body. I was still making progress, but I would have been unhappy without being able to see my measurements. Good luck to you!
  • ajfc1971
    ajfc1971 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi I have only been on this a week - started last wk at home and didn't know about the app - historically I lose big in the first and stay the same in the second and so on. Stick with it and try and weight yourself the same day at the same time in the same clothes this will give you a better trend. I know its unbearable when the scales are in front of you everyday but try not to take much notice until your weigh day. Add me as a friend if you would like support.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You should be eating less than 1500 calories, however it depends on the kind of calories. Empty calories like sugar, white bread, french fries are all a no. If your scedule allows it you have to pick up your activity, walking ,etc. A mixture of carbs and protein is important. You need the protein to burn the fat.. Just keep it up, don't get discouraged. IT takes less calories in than you were eating before and more physical activity. But it isn't going to happen over night,
    Best of luck

Basil
  • momgorz
    momgorz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I will open my diary up to the public. Just to add - I have been exercising for years, so that is not new to me. What I am doing differently is changing to HIT for both the eliptial and treadmill and then wakling, trying to rotate so my body doesn't get used to one. For the treadmill I walk for 4 mins, then jog for 4/5, etc for at least 30 mins. For the eliptical, I have a program that does a 20 min HIT program and then I add 10 minutes or so of random or jog. I also got some weights and am adding in a few arm exercises to start.

It is just frustrating... I have done weight watchers in the past and same thing - everyone around me losing big the first few weeks and me - nothing or very little. And its not like I don't have alot to lose.

I am determined to stick it out for at least a month to see what happens, just need your help...
  • jlong7774
    jlong7774 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I too had been exercising for years with not much results. Before MFP I came to the conclusion that if you worked on your calorie intake and calorie burn it would be a good thing and have the longest term results. If you stick to the diary you will see results. This is a slow and life long process. You are doing a great job with your exercise. Stay with it. It is worth it.
  • mjsunshine16
    mjsunshine16 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    You need to give your body time to adjust. I did look at your diary and notice your sugar levels are real high a majority of the week. I am by no means perfect and have high sugar days as well here and there. You may want to look at the food choices you are making and adjust.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    one week is a little soon to expect to see results and definately too soon to give it. you have to stick with it, especially if you want to lose the weight AND keep it off. it cant just be a short term diet, it needs to be life changes you are going to maintain.