Walking : Is it effective at all?

Options
Hi Experts,
I did walk for 20km yesterday (in over 3.5 hours) and didn't sweat and didn't feel that tired at all. 5k jog is much demanding activity for me.
When I started weight loss last year, walking was a bit effective for me for weight loss but yesterday, I did not feel it.

So, its a question to all you experts, whether Walking can still be treated as some sort of "leisure" workout.
I do not want to overestimate it, but at the same time don't want to under-estimate so much that I take car instead of walking next time :-|

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Regards.

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Yes, all activity is effective, even if it's not intense. I walk, run, and bike. Walking is the least intense and running is the most. But they all burn calories!
  • Colbyandsage
    Colbyandsage Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I count anything more than 30 mins walking. Yes, running burns more.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I walk at 5mph pace every day, which is as fast as some people run. It's been very effective for me.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Walking is great. I have a hrm and can burn upto 600 calories walking in a day - must admit we do live in a hlly area and I'm usually pushing a buggy but it does make a difference.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Its definately effective!! I have been making an effort to walk 4 or 5 times per week since the New Year doing 50 mins at a time, I am much more toned and it certainly helps regarding weight loss. I find it a very doable way to exercise and for me more pleasant than going to the gym e.g :)
    You are probably just getting so fit that your body doesn't find it such an effort any more :)
  • Moriarty_697
    Moriarty_697 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It all depends on the intensity. If you are out for a leisurely stroll, then it probably won't be effective. If you are really pushing yourself, getting your heart rate up, then it's still a good workout. I did some quick math and it looks like you averaged just under 3.5 mph for the walk (around 5.6 kph). Now we're all different but, for me, 3.5 mph would be a little on the slow side for a good workout.

5k runs are definitely more demanding but that doesn't mean you should completely forget walking. Walking is much lower impact and will give your knees a break. The trick is to keep the pace up so you work your heart.

For what it's worth,this doesn't mean that slow walking is worthless. All walking is good for the mind and for the body. In my opinion, walking is almost aways better than taking a car but, then again, I've never really been a car person.
  • wellbur
    wellbur Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I walk,3 or 4 times a week at 4.5 pace, and i have lost 12 pound so works for me. I used to run, but have a bad back so walking is a better option for me, where i live are lots of hills, so it gets the heart rate going.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Walking is excellent exercise. I use it as active rest as part of my running programme. If it doesn't make you out of breath or sweat, do it faster, and uphill! A properly pitched walk can be just as challenging as a run and challenges different muscles groups while giving your joints a rest from impact. With proper posture, it targets your core more than running, too.
  • appleseeds
    appleseeds Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Basically the exercises that are tougher are more likely to have an afterburn effect (so your body keeps burning calories more efficiently even after youve stopped exercising).
    With a long walk like that, basically you will burn calories during the walk but thats it. It's still effective for weight loss - its just a lot more time consuming.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I was told that speed walking helps burn belly fat, I'm not sure how accurate that is. I also read an article in Woman's Health about it burning belly fat if you are walking at the correct speed.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I burn more when I run but I think yes, walking is an effective workout! Even if you are out for a stroll being active is being active but if you push yourself a little harder you will reap more benefits. I love walking because it gets me outside and it works my muscles in different ways than running does. I also cycle quite a bit which is a great cardio exercise that can torch a serious number of calories but without much impact on your lower body. Whatever you do, the most important thing is you get out and move!
  • ARDuBaie
    ARDuBaie Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Walking is my primary form of exercise. I've lost over 100 pounds by walking. Not to mention the inches.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I'm certainly no expert, but I'm gonna say for that time and distance then yes of course that was effective. Anything that moves your muscles is going to help. A 3 hour walk? Yeah I'd say you burning something, even if it's a low "calories per minute" burn rate you're getting that rate for 3.5 hours? Yeah.. that's got to be good.
  • jennkain97
    jennkain97 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    like others have said, you may need to increase your pace to see any effect on fitness. another option to increase intensity is to wear a weighted vest or belt. or carry dumbbells if you have them, and pump out some reps every now and then too. you will definitely see a difference.
  • tadpole242
    tadpole242 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    3.5mph is not a Leisurely pace 2.2 mph is, so anything over 3 is a work out.

Again it depends on the terrain you are walking on, flat blacktop take less energy to work over than flat trail, hilly trails are better for your feet as they make you move and stretch your muscles rather than your foot hitting the ground the same every step.
    If you want to, pick up the pace just a bit; say half a mile per hour more and you could, depending on your weight, almost double the calories burnt. Carry an extra 4ltr of water with you and it will also increase the amount o energy used.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be very effective. For various reasons, I use my commute home as my main exercise. Walking 40-50 minutes, at an average speed of 3.5 mph, five days/week, plus any extra walking I can get in, I have lost, and kept off, 40 pounds.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.
    For fitness and health walking is great, and make sure your pace if fast and the duration is enough to challenge depending on your current fitness level.
    For performance athletes training for sport achievement, walking SUCKS. You can't push yourself enough walking.
    I was an MMA fighter.
    I could never train for a fight walking.
    But for health, fitness, fat loss and general constitution, walking is a great way for me to burn calories and enhance the function of my cardiovascular system. Here is an article on the benefits of walking with research to back us each claim.
    http://www.rodale.com/benefits-walking
    Keep Punching - All Is Possible!
  • neilglickWECHANGED
    Options
    Brisk walking or other aerobic exercise is fine ... but ... doing weights to increase muscle mass and therefore metabolism is more important :happy:
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It depends how you walk.
    Now if we are talking power walking, or speed walking then its very effective.
    This involves pumping the arms and swinging those hips.
    I power walk at nearly 7 miles an hour and I can keep it going over 35 miles.....
    ...where as jogging is too high impact for me and my big boobs and I couldnt keep it going for that length of time.

so I would say it depends how you do it!
  • SanyamKaushik
    SanyamKaushik Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot guys.. Your comments and opinions are appreciated...
    As far as I am concerned, it normally is a cinema about 6 miles from my home. I normally go by car but tried walking this weekend so that I can have a nice meal along with without any guilt.
    Yeah, it was a leisurely walk (3.5mph) and dumbbells was not really an option. Yeah on the way back, i had about 3kg of grocery though :p