Don't know what to try?

Options
Ive been trying to lose the same 25lbs for 1year and 3months now, and im still the same weight.

Ive tried sticking to the guidlines MFP set me - hasnt worked
Tried out various ones of my own - hasnt worked

The only thing i havnt tried is any 'fad diets'

I dont know what to try now - at the nutrition course i just did we were told that no-one should eat less than there BMR or even go as low as that!

I dont want to give up and i have given each method long enough to see if it works and they dont.

is anything ever going to work for me?

katie
xxx

Replies

• BossyGirl
    BossyGirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Are you logging every single peice of food you put in your mouth? Are you exercising at least 3 x's a week? If your sticking to your reccommeded calories and getting exercise, and have not seen results for this long, maybe talk to your doctor. Thyroid maybe?
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    How tall are you??

I think it may be the right mix of carbs/proteins etc that could be the problem. I know for me, I love the carbs but I have to decrease them and increase more dense, protein type foods to lose weight. It isn't just the amt of what you eat but what you are eat...

Hope that helps, I would be frustrated too.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Oh and how much a week are you trying to lose?
  • rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I took a quick peek at your food diary, and I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt (so to speak) but where are the fruits and veggies? I don't see many in your diary. Could be you aren't listing them, as I don't always list them on mine, since most of them are freebies....but your fiber looks very low.

Don't see you keeping track of your water as well. Drinking LOTS of water is very helpful. Drink at least 8 glasses, even more. I try for 8-12 per day, and I know it's helpful.
  • jwilson56
    Options
    Also I have learned that not all carbs are created equal. I would stick to what Dr Oz has suggested and toss all 'white' carbs meaning any refined ones. That included white breads. Switch to whole grains. Also no fatty foods. I switched to all lean meats (white chicken and turkey) and also eat more fish. It is a good idea to check the glycemic index of anything your eating and toss all high number ones out.

If you have tried all this I would go see a doctor and have your thyroid checked. See if it is not something medical.

I have lost 14 lbs in 3 weeks and for me who has struggled all my life I am quite happy with MFP as a tool that has helped me stay on the path.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    What are you doing for exercise?
    Do you give yourself days of eating maintenance (of healthy food)?
    I second what rtmama said too--more fruits and vegetables. Fewer processed snack-type foods.
  • curvykatie
    curvykatie Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    How tall are you??
    Oh and how much a week are you trying to lose?
    I'm 5'3'' and aiming to lose abour 1/2-1lb a week
    Are you logging every single peice of food you put in your mouth? Are you exercising at least 3 x's a week? If your sticking to your reccommeded calories and getting exercise, and have not seen results for this long, maybe talk to your doctor. Thyroid maybe?

I dont always log everything but i know whether i go over my calories or not, and most of the time im around 50cal over/under, i exercise at least 3x a week also
    i did go see my doc about it and she just turned me away saying i was getting my womens body (im 21? i also developed early lol) and because i have a history of having an eating disorder she gave me a printed off the internet diet plan for the mediterrainan diet
    I took a quick peek at your food diary, and I am no expert, so take this with a grain of salt (so to speak) but where are the fruits and veggies? I don't see many in your diary. Could be you aren't listing them, as I don't always list them on mine, since most of them are freebies....but your fiber looks very low.

Don't see you keeping track of your water as well. Drinking LOTS of water is very helpful. Drink at least 8 glasses, even more. I try for 8-12 per day, and I know it's helpful.

i dont always put my fruit and veg in as i get some of them through juices (pure juice not from concentrate) and others i dont eat in large enough amounts to put as a portions.

water is a problem for me, i try and get at least 4glasses a day but if i go over that i tend to feel quite waterlogged so find it hard to drink anymore after that
    Also I have learned that not all carbs are created equal. I would stick to what Dr Oz has suggested and toss all 'white' carbs meaning any refined ones. That included white breads. Switch to whole grains. Also no fatty foods. I switched to all lean meats (white chicken and turkey) and also eat more fish. It is a good idea to check the glycemic index of anything your eating and toss all high number ones out.
    ive already swapped everthing to wholemeal/wholewheat options and dont eat any of the 'white' stuff now. im not a big fan of red meat anyway so i always have chicken/turkey, and fish im not a big fan off
  • curvykatie
    Options
    I second what rtmama said too--more fruits and vegetables. Fewer processed snack-type foods.

exercise wise - when im at home i go to the gym about 3-4times a week and burn around 900cals (eating back at least 1/2 the exercise cals)

whilst at uni i walk everywhere, do wii fit, dvd's, exercise plans from magazines and i live up 4flights of stairs which im constantly up and down

i went this morning and got some shopping for the week ahead and it was mostly fruit and veg
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, although not for one year (think I'd go mad~). Mine has been for 3 months.

What I've done is eat at maintenance for 3 weeks (1900 calories is my guesstimate) and took 2 weeks off working out. For the last 2 days, I'm back eating at a deficit, but only 400 deducted, and the scale is showing a 1lb loss. It's only 2 days, so who knows....? But I've been at exactly the same weight with only increases during time of month, then back to same weight for a long time now.

Maybe you need to eat more? Maybe you could have your BMR tested professionally? Wish I could...might take some of the guess work out of this!
  • curvykatie
    Options
    I'm having the same problem, although not for one year (think I'd go mad~). Mine has been for 3 months.

What I've done is eat at maintenance for 3 weeks (1900 calories is my guesstimate) and took 2 weeks off working out. For the last 2 days, I'm back eating at a deficit, but only 400 deducted, and the scale is showing a 1lb loss. It's only 2 days, so who knows....? But I've been at exactly the same weight with only increases during time of month, then back to same weight for a long time now.

Maybe you need to eat more? Maybe you could have your BMR tested professionally? Wish I could...might take some of the guess work out of this!

that would be great if i could get it tested professionaly, i wouldnt have a clue where to go, it seems in UK with the national health service that if they dont desperatly need to do anything for you they won't

ive been eating between 1450 and 1750 for the past couple of weeks (1450 being my BMR and 1750 maintenance) thinking maybe my bodies just had enough of 'dieting'
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

exercise wise - when im at home i go to the gym about 3-4times a week and burn around 900cals (eating back at least 1/2 the exercise cals)

whilst at uni i walk everywhere, do wii fit, dvd's, exercise plans from magazines and i live up 4flights of stairs which im constantly up and down

i went this morning and got some shopping for the week ahead and it was mostly fruit and veg

900 Calories according to what?
  • curvykatie
    Options

my HRM - i have the polar F6
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Those are pretty accurate. Have you been subtracting your BMR calories--the calories you burn without any activity? For instance, my BMR was tested in a lab at 1310 kcal/day, or about 55kcal/hr. So if I exercise for an hour and burn 555kcal, I really only burnt 500, because the 55 are included in my BMR calories. Another thing you might want to try is to factor the thermic effect of food into your BMR. So I eat about 1400kcal/day right now (usually more but I am literally destitute right now, ugh), and the TEF is about 10% of that, or 140 calories. So I normally make sure to eat at least 1310+140 = 1450 kcal/day. Eating that leads me to lose 1.5 lbs a week (and feel like *kitten*) with exercise. But I had to play with my calories and nutrient ratios a LOT. I am currently eating 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. The carbs are moderately low and the protein is fairly high. I'm doing this because a lower-carb diet will lead to lower insulin levels and more fat-burning hormones being released. The protein takes the place of the lost carbs because it can fairly easily be converted to glucose if necessary, and also keeps me full.

So try playing with your calories and nutrient ratios. You might find that fewer carbohydrates help.

Are you doing resistance training? How much cardio?
  • curvykatie
    Options

Those are pretty accurate. Have you been subtracting your BMR calories--the calories you burn without any activity? For instance, my BMR was tested in a lab at 1310 kcal/day, or about 55kcal/hr. So if I exercise for an hour and burn 555kcal, I really only burnt 500, because the 55 are included in my BMR calories. Another thing you might want to try is to factor the thermic effect of food into your BMR. So I eat about 1400kcal/day right now (usually more but I am literally destitute right now, ugh), and the TEF is about 10% of that, or 140 calories. So I normally make sure to eat at least 1310+140 = 1450 kcal/day. Eating that leads me to lose 1.5 lbs a week (and feel like *kitten*) with exercise. But I had to play with my calories and nutrient ratios a LOT. I am currently eating 40% carbs, 35% protein, and 25% fat. The carbs are moderately low and the protein is fairly high. I'm doing this because a lower-carb diet will lead to lower insulin levels and more fat-burning hormones being released. The protein takes the place of the lost carbs because it can fairly easily be converted to glucose if necessary, and also keeps me full.

So try playing with your calories and nutrient ratios. You might find that fewer carbohydrates help.

thank you, no i havnt been subtracting the BMR cals - ive never heard of doing that before.

:embarassed: i do very little resistance training, when im at uni its nothing as i dont have access to a gym and i never know what to do at home that would be classed as resistance training, its mostly cardio that i do because i enjoy that more and know what im doing with that
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

thank you, no i havnt been subtracting the BMR cals - ive never heard of doing that before.

:embarassed: i do very little resistance training, when im at uni its nothing as i dont have access to a gym and i never know what to do at home that would be classed as resistance training, its mostly cardio that i do because i enjoy that more and know what im doing with that

Oh, the resistance training will make a big difference in how much muscle mass you retain, which in turn determines how well you can maintain your BMR. Your BMR will always decrease in response to caloric restriction, especially long-term. There is a lot you can do in your own home--just google 'home workouts' and you'll find plenty. Chronic cardio will cause the release of cortisol, which makes it much harder to lose fat. You have to work just enough to waste some calories so you can eat more, but not so much that you're constantly stressing your body.
  • curvykatie
    Options
    Oh, the resistance training will make a big difference in how much muscle mass you retain, which in turn determines how well you can maintain your BMR. Your BMR will always decrease in response to caloric restriction, especially long-term. There is a lot you can do in your own home--just google 'home workouts' and you'll find plenty. Chronic cardio will cause the release of cortisol, which makes it much harder to lose fat. You have to work just enough to waste some calories so you can eat more, but not so much that you're constantly stressing your body.

thank you! i didnt know that about loads of cardio releasing cortisol, this might sound really stupid but would yoga be resistance training? i want to try getting into yoga more
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

thank you! i didnt know that about loads of cardio releasing cortisol, this might sound really stupid but would yoga be resistance training? i want to try getting into yoga more

Yoga is great for balance and flexibility, but it isn't considered resistance training for the most part. REally advanced yoga moves that require you to rest a majority of your bodyweight on just a couple limbs might be, but it's still not going to train your muscles like overloading them with excess weight.
  • curvykatie
    Options
    but it's still not going to train your muscles like overloading them with excess weight.

thats what always confuses me, when i think of resistance training i think of weights, so when it comes to doing resistance training for my legs at home i have no idea >.<
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

On the right hand side is a listing of all sorts of training exercises for each muscle/group. If you do not have a gym, check out the body weight exercises or dumbbell ones (you can use jugs of sand instead).
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. I did go to the doc and yes, my thyroid med needed to be much higher. I have given that 3 months to adjust and found that I had to absolutely give up all white flour, bread, tortillas, potatoes, white rice. it's the South Beach diet in a nutshell.

I feel awesome now. My friends all lost weight on this program, I mean 100's. And they did not do any exercise. I on the other hand, feel that's a disservice to your body. So I got to the Y 4 days a week for 20 mintues cardio and some weights. Now the weight is coming off. Oh, and no sugar at all.

Hope this helps. I've been so discouraged. But now that I'm off all the 'junk' I feel awesome. kc