can somebody give me a 1200 meal example ?

Options

Replies

• MelissaCYoung
    MelissaCYoung Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I was put on a 1100 cal diet with 100g protein and 1200 cal when I exercise. I did not ask why so low but after doing research I believe it is due to being hypothyroid. It really has boost my metabolism and I am finally loosing the weight!

So I think it is medically followed it is not too low.\\

But not while breastfeeding!
  • MadeInDR022
    MadeInDR022 Posts: 260
    Options
    OMG, i was JUST coming on here to ask this question! I want to stay low carb/low sugar too
  • FitLink
    FitLink Posts: 1,317 Member
    Options
    i just had a baby and its hard for e to split my 1200 cal, since i eat 5X a day

You need to talk to your doctor about 1200 calories while nursing. At the very least you should be closely supervised if you really have need to be that low.
  • Berberena33
    Berberena33 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can track breastfeeding on here... on average you will "burn" 500 calories a day if you are breastfeeding exclusively so 1200 calories is not enough. Take it from me you will need the extra calories (and water intake) to keep up your supply - I learned that the hard way!
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal in the morning ( all water) 150

Slice of bread with Peanut butter 69

smoothie with protein powder. ( depends on powder and ingredients)

an apple 72

grilled plain chicken breast, steamed veggies( larger meal) 300-400

This was a typical meal day for me, but comes in a little under I think, leaves room for an extra snack or dressing for a salad etc.
    I would suggest though, with a baby to up calories to at least 1500. I did ( not with baby) and still lost weight. Might give you more energy for those sleepless nights?
  • cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Your body needs more than that. Not only to produce an adequate milk supply for your baby but also to recooperate from giving birth. 1200 cals reallyisnt a lot at all.
  • CherylGardner
    CherylGardner Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you had your baby very recently (like within the last 8-12 weeks), then I don't think you should be calorie restricting below 2000. You are setting yourself up to fail if you're breastfeeding. I breastfed both my kids for a year and didn't even think about restricting calories until they were each 6 months old and we started introducing food to them.

I naturally lost because the breastfeeding generates a natural higher calorie burn.

Breastfeeding and dieting are a bad combo.
  • lizzardsm
    lizzardsm Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding is the best way to loose weight! You will need additional calories to be able to keep yourself healthy along with your baby. Talk to your Dr and find out what is an acceptable diet.....Good luck!

YES!! You will totally lose weight while breastfeeding! Don't go so low cal! Think about the health of your baby!!
    If you are breastfeeding, eating too low will definitely backfire on you....I KNOW!

Plus whats great is you don't even have to eat that low to lose fat!

Take a look at these stickies and maybe this way will be a better fit for you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/3834-eat-more-to-weigh-less

And YES! I was completely convinced that the only way I could lose weight was to eat 1200 cal/day. I had been losing the same 4lbs for 6 months. Now I eat 1600 and 1800 on weight training days and I'm FINALLY seeing results.
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I understand that you want to lose weight but you don't want your baby to lose weight, right? I have read that while breastfeeding you should eat at least 500 more calories per day. Also try to get in more heatlhy fats than normal. I've heard it does wonders for your hair and skin while also helping baby :)

PLEASE eat more. I'm not breastfeeding and I'm netting 1800 per day. You should be at like 2300.
  • monica4354
    monica4354 Posts: 22
    Options
    Just a comment about asking your doctor. Most doctors don't know very much about nutrition and they know even less about human lactation. Lactation and breastfeeding are not covered in medical school. You can lose weight while breastfeeding but you're not going to be able to maintain a healthy breastfeeding relationship while eating so few calories. Your body is very capable of nourishing your baby all by itself but you have to give it the fuel to do so.

FTR I have been nursing for over 2 years. Once you are not the only source of food, you can eat less and be okay. I don't count breastfeeding now in my calories because my son nurses very little.
  • Tara_Janel
    Tara_Janel Posts: 48
    Options
    When I was nursing full time I was eating 2000 calories a day. After baby started eating solids (around 9m) I cut down to 1800 a day and now that he is no longer nursing (we stopped at 14m) I am down to 1500 a day. You need to eat as many calories you do when preggo when nursing!
  • reynosofamily
    reynosofamily Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    im gonna try to do it one of these days! thanks!
  • reynosofamily
    Options
  • reynosofamily
    Options
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I understand that you want to lose weight but you don't want your baby to lose weight, right? I have read that while breastfeeding you should eat at least 500 more calories per day. Also try to get in more heatlhy fats than normal. I've heard it does wonders for your hair and skin while also helping baby :)

PLEASE eat more. I'm not breastfeeding and I'm netting 1800 per day. You should be at like 2300.

This. I usually eat at least 1700.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    lettuce_bowl_print.jpg

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • kodom_123
    kodom_123 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It says on your profile that you are breastfeeding...please eat more than 1200 calories, your body really needs fuel.

THIS ^^^ Your body will stop producing milk if you don't eat more. This happened ot me with my first baby..at 4 months he was put into the hospital with failure to thrive and I had NO milk supply left! :(
    This is the *minimum a woman should ever eat and is what they start anorexics on in recovery...since you just had a baby AND you are nursing you should deffinately be eating more. A lot of ladies here eat this amount and they say to add 400-500 extra cals a day to your normal intake if you are nursing.
    I hope you get it all figured out :) and congrats on the new little!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR.
    Your body needs to heal, and if you're breastfeeding, your baby needs to eat.
    Please please please talk to a doctor before going on a diet right now.

I agree. My baby's pediatrician advised me not to cut calories at all while breastfeeding, at least until my baby turns 6 months old.

There is absolutely no reason to cut calories or worry about losing weight right away.
  • MeanSophieCat
    MeanSophieCat Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Don't eat less than 1800 cals while breastfeeding. At least until your baby is over 3 months old. From there you can start decreasing it by 100 cals at a time to see how you feel. Your baby and your body need you to eat!

Before I knew this, I was eating 1600 calories, working out 6 days a week, and breastfeeding. I was dizzy almost all day long - I would almost pass out after feeding sessions. I lost a few pounds and then I actually started gaining weight because my body thought it was starving and my metabolism shut down.

My baby is 3 months old. I eat 1800-2000 calories/day and I add back in any exercise calories - so I'm usually eating around 2200 calories. I've lost just over a 1 lb a week for 2 months now for a total of 10lbs.

Oh - I'm 5'5" and 161lbs. I'm headed for 150 lbs by the end of August!!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie meal? A lot of my lunches are 1200 calories and my diary is wide open, so have a look (but I doubt that's what you actually meant).

=P