How much excersise do you need to lose weight?

Options
I have been at a plateau for quite some time. I don't think I get enough excersise in just 30 min a day how much do you need to actually start to lose weight again?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's about changing the type of exercise. Your muscles may be complacent, or up the intensity. You could try upping the calories you eat by 100 or so ... and see it that helps.
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you I do need to get into a daily regimen. I will try that.
  • TheNewDodge
    TheNewDodge Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you log the last two days? Are you crushing excess bad foods on the weekends? That would probably explain it.
  • koalasue
    Options
    I could give you a load of excused right now on why I haven't logged. I guess it is just easier not to. Your right I need to start logging everyday again and get back on. I have gained back 3 pounds and very upset with myself. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • patchesgizmo
    patchesgizmo Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    do a walk at lunch at work then do a workout in the evening, see if that kicks the mucles up to start burning again.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I believe that I read that you must burn 3500 calories to lose 1 pound. So, take that 3500 and divide it by a 7 day week and thats 500 cals a day you must burn to lose 1 pound per week.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I would suggest every week you walk 30 minutes daily with 3 days of some lite strength training.
    Good Luck!
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I hit a Viennese table last night, it doesn't get much worse, but I still logged it. Good suggestion about the exercise though, change up your routine, up your intensity, try doing things in reverse, even manipulate your diet a little.
  • jsmith1352
    Options
    I heard on the biggest loser one time to do your exact same workout but in reverse order every day. This confuses the muscles and shocks them, which leads to faster results
  • koalasue
    Options
    Thanks for that suggestion. I will make that my goal 500 calories a day. And change up the diet plan.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    How much you need to burn to lose weight varies by many factors, but basically you need to burn more than you consume. If you don't have more time to dedicate to exercise, try to up the intensity. If you can add more, try doing both. Exercise a little more, and increase the intensity. Even adding 10-15 min more of exercise can make a big difference.
  • sandrajune72
    sandrajune72 Posts: 550
    Options
    I heard on the biggest loser one time to do your exact same workout but in reverse order every day. This confuses the muscles and shocks them, which leads to faster results

Great tip! :happy:
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    From everything I've read, and what I've experienced, diet has more to do with success than exercise. Really check what you're eating (calories, types of calories, etc). But I would also agree that 30 minutes a day of excercise might not be enough to really lose a lot of weight - unless those 30 minutes are really, really intense.

The basic equation is calories in vs calories out. Exercise increases the amount of calories you can take in, but if you think about it, you can lose weight without exercise at all by controlling food intake. Combining exercise with diet is by far the best approach, but make sure you don't over do it when you eat back your calories. E.g., I know that I am blessed (sarcasm) with a slow BMR (basal metabolic rate), and if I eat back all my exercise calories, I'll either stagnate or even gain weight.

First, are you sure you know how many calories you need to eat to maintain? If you haven't done so, find out what your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). Here's a link: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

In general, if you want to lose 1 pound a week, you need a calorie deficit of 500/day (7 x 500 = 3500 calories = 1 pound of fat). If your goal is 2 pounds a week, you need to eat below your TDEE by 1000 calories a day. So, whatever your TDEE says you need, knock off 500 or 1000 a day, and you should lose weight. Then, add back in your exercise calories, and you are supposed to eat back all those calories - but like I said, I know that I can't do that. So, track it and tweak as necessary.

Also, track your calories burned through exercise with a heart rate monitor - the estimates out there aren't reliable. And always convert gross calories to net calories before you add them back to your daily intake. Otherwise, you'll be double dipping and sabotaging yourself.

Best of luck!
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    totally false. body does not work this way...
  • koalasue
    Options
    Makes sense. My TDEE is 2064 I am consuming at least 1400 calories a day because that is what MFP says I should be eating. So you are saying I need to cut my calorie intake to 1064 instead? I believe doing that I would lose weight.
  • koalasue
    Options
    Thank you
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    You just gotta keep on keepin' on..........
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I have a body that LOVES to hoard fat, I find I need at least a solid hour of vigorous exercise every single day to lose weight...30 minutes a day 3 times a week is just not going to cut it for me.
  • MNguerita
    MNguerita Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Definitely get back to the logging, you may be eating more than you think, if that still doesn't help, then maybe you need to actually go so far as to measure...Jillian michaels has a few podcasts where she talks about "plateaus" and if I remember correctly she goes through how to evaluate where you are lacking and helps figure out what it is you need to do to get back on track
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    A quick look at your diary makes me think consistent logging is more important for you than an exercise regimen. MFP is set up so that you can lose without exercise, but it's crucial that you log consistently, honestly and try your best to make those calories the healthiest they can be the majority of the time.