Veggie Needing More Protein......Help!

Options
I never seem to reach my protein levels. Any ideas what I can eat to hit that goal?

I do have a protein shake after long runs but I'm not interested in protein powders as I prefer "real food".

Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Tofu, food made from mycoprotein like Quorn, nuts, pulses, quinoa, cottage cheese, natural yoghurt. Lots to choose from.
  • Pengylicious
    Pengylicious Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm a veggie too!

Try grainy bread, eggs, tofu, cheese, nuts, chickpeas, kidney beans and add lentils to your soups.

Just two slices of grainy bread will add 10g of protein to your diet, and if you top it with peanut butter or an egg you will have a complete protein.
  • TimeWarp9
    TimeWarp9 Posts: 91
    Options
    All the above! To name specific brands of bread items that are decent sources: Nature's Own Double Fiber Wheat - love it! And, Ole brand wraps - both are also a good source of fiber.

I'm still doing well with moderate amounts of soy protein - the Boca brand meatless burgers usually have about 13g per serving.

If you are ovo/lacto - Greek yogurt - about 20g, and eggs 6g.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Do you eat dairy? Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are great protein boosters. I hate the shakes too, but I've started adding unflavored protein powder to various foods -- soups, sauces, stews -- can't taste it and it really helps.
  • Linda345
    Linda345 Posts: 11
    Options
    I struggle with getting sufficient protien also, but I'm not a strict vegitarian since I do eat fish. It's still a challenge for me to get enough protien though, while at the same time not consuming too many calories. I do eat a lot of greek yogurt. I end up having to resort to protien suppliments (powders and bars) every day to make up the difference that I cannot get in real food.
  • kazza2cats
    kazza2cats Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will add more of these to my shopping list and try and hit that protein goal. :flowerforyou:
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I struggle with getting sufficient protien also, but I'm not a strict vegitarian since I do eat fish. It's still a challenge for me to get enough protien though, while at the same time not consuming too many calories. I do eat a lot of greek yogurt. I end up having to resort to protien suppliments (powders and bars) every day to make up the difference that I cannot get in real food.
    I added chicken and tuna back in and I'm still having trouble reaching my protein goal for heavy lifting (30%). Greek yogurt, eggs, cheese, Quorn, boca products, tofu, a protein shake and a bar daily. I'm still looking for ideas too.

Almost forgot, I started adding 1/2 scoop of protein powder to my oatmeal. really helps.
  • EdenEC
    EdenEC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Kashi cereals? I love adding a 1/2 cup of Kashi Go Lean Crunch to my Yogurt. Also low fat cottage cheese on 10 grain bread ( I like Brownberry) makes for a good low calorie, high protein and fiber breakfast :) Quinoa, black beans, chick peas, all pack a protein punch.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I'm not a veggie, but I recently added Ezekiel bread into my diet and I'm liking it so far. It's made from 100% organic sprouted grains and not flour. Great source of protein as well as carbs! Also, very low in sugar and gluten free if that is an area of concern.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am moving closer to being a full-on veggie and recently bought "The Vegetarian's Bible", which has a lot of great recipes in it. It uses a lot of tofu, beans and other protein-packed foods. I'm still having trouble exceeding my protein levels, but there is protein in my Kashi Go Lean cereal and I eat yogurt everyday.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Feel free to check out my diary for ideas :smile:

This morning I had overnight oats for breakfast (chocolate and peanut butter)
    45g easy porridge oats
    1 scoop chocolate protein powder
    10g crunchy natural peanut butter
    Chia seed, flax seed
    150ml almond milk
    1tsp hot chocolate cocoa powder

396 calories and 29 grams of nom'ness