when "careful" isn't good enough

Options
I've figured out that I need to eat about 1200 calories (a little more with exercise) per day to lose weight moderately. That's so little that even the most "careful" eating isn't good enough - I need to monitor every bite.

But I KNOW I can't and won't be THAT careful for more than a few days in a row... so I wind up saying "forget it, I can't live that way! I'll just have to adjust to being bigger than ever before, and learn to love my new size."

I'm not huge - but I am definitely overweight (162 at 5 feet 4.5).

I am NOT going to make myself and my family crazy by never enjoying another beer, brownie or cup of clam chowder again!

Any suggestions?

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise!!

I feel exactly the same way. I am 5'5", 51 yo and about 153ish (I haven't weighed in a while). I just get too darn hungry on 1200 calories per day. And at my age my BMR and TDEE are pretty low. So, I try to get some exercise every day, and I try to do fairly intense aerobic exercise (Zumba, running, fast walking, jumping jacks, jump rope, etc.) at least 4 days a week. And some form of strength training several days.

It sounds like a lot but it usually adds up to 1 - 1.5 hours total on the most intense days, though not all at once, and sometimes only 30-40 min. And every now and then I don't do anything at all and just be lazy all day.
  • onikonor
    onikonor Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I am roughly same weight and height as you and I consume about 1350-1500 daily. You should not limit yourself to a strict diet you know you will not be able to follow it in the long run.

It's really not that difficult to stay within 1500 calories and feel satisfied.

If you don't have much to lose set your goal at 0.5 instead of 1 lb or 2 pounds.

You don't have to calorie count (although it does help), just be aware of portion you are eating and what kinds of foods you are eating. For example, I never realized a jumbo hotdog was loaded with sodium and calories. So when I have one I know just to have one instead of 2.
  • 1nsanity
    1nsanity Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    exercise and/or aim to lose weight more slowly. if you set your goal to lose .5 pounds per week you will be able to eat a little more per day, it will just take longer to meet your goal.
  • bithoo
    bithoo Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I see that this site ADDS calories to your daily allowance when you exercise, which is pretty motivating (a 20-minute walk = a nice packet of almonds, for example!). Do you use that system to motivate you to exercise? Or do you stick with the original calorie count?
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I see that this site ADDS calories to your daily allowance when you exercise, which is pretty motivating (a 20-minute walk = a nice packet of almonds, for example!). Do you use that system to motivate you to exercise? Or do you stick with the original calorie count?

That's a point of contention amongst some MFPers. My system (and the system I see most MFPers following) is that if you exercise, you get to add those calories back to your daily count. So if your goal is 1200 calories, but you burn 400 calories exercising, your new calorie limit for the day is 1600. What I found during my initial weight loss earlier this year was that my body became more efficient at burning calories when I exercised and ate my "extra" calories than when I didn't exercise and ate the normal amount. So exercise often and reward your body by putting more fuel into it. You'll burn calories quicker and enjoy it more!
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    No suggestions, You have to find what works for you like everyone else. I log my food in advance most of the time so I have a plan for the day. Evenings and weekends are a little tougher so I make sure I manage every bite during weekdays and really watch my portions on the weekends.

I love beer too but also realize it has a lot of calories, relatively empty ones at that.. So I have 2-3 per week and work them off with exercise. Make all the excuses you want but everyone has the time and ability to excercise.

You can decide that you are going to adjust to your new size. But that fact that you are here tells me you are over weight, know it and don't want to be. I think we can rationalize anything and if you want to do that, go right ahead. It's your life and you live with your decisions. If you can live with them, great. Otherwise, stop making excuses and do it.

Maybe not what you wanted to hear. But it is what I tell myself regularly and it has worked for me.
  • bithoo
    bithoo Posts: 9
    Options
    Jim - I'm not making excuses: I own and use a treadmill and weights, and typically walk 20-30 minutes per day, often while also doing several sets of upper body exercises. I've taken dance classes, tennis, I dance, swim, etc. But as you probably know, unless one exercises quite hard for at least an hour or more every day, exercise alone is not enough to make a serious dent in weight. In fact, a single extra beer or a brownie can wipe out the good effects of two half-hour walks.

I am not lazy, and I eat a healthy, balanced diet. I do, however, enjoy eating -- and the foods that allow me to stay slim are not generally the same foods my family will eat (they don't enjoy large salads or veggie soups as I do). As a result, I wind up eating either tiny portions that don't fill me up, or a completely different diet from husband and kids.

As a full time, self employed writer, mother of two, actor, singer, wife and homemaker, I do know how to organize my time - and I do stay physically active. But when life becomes very busy, calorie counting and quick-bite avoidance become very difficult. It is sometimes hard to find the energy and motivation to stay on track.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

I most definitely use the system to motivate me. In fact, I often think of my workouts as a way to "earn" wine with dinner. :drinker:
  • awolf2011
    awolf2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    MFP told me that I could only eat a little over 1200 calories, but I was finding that very hard to do, so I upped it to 1300. I also exercise regularly and always make sure to eat at least 1/2 of those exercised calories back. You don't want to starve your body b/c then your body will start to hoard the fat cause it is needing the calories/nutrition etc. It took me awhile to get in the groove, but once I did, it got easier. I also use MFP as a motivator a lot since I have made friends that give lots of support and encouragement.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Never suggested you were lazy. However, you keep giving all these reasons why you can't count your calories and thus can't lose weight. To me, reasons I can't are excuses to not... If you're happy the way your are, that is just great. But don't kid yourself either.

I wasted years being obese because I was told I wasn't fat and I WANTED to believe it and I was "comfortable" being me. On top of that I spent 20 years smoking. I finally looked at myself in the mirror an was honest and said Jim you're obese, lazy, out of shape, smoking is going to kill you one way or another, and if you don't stop kidding yourself and change you won't make 50.

But that is just me. And to be honest, I know nothing about you but just sensed maybe a little of that in you. If I'm wrong, awesome, just ignore me and move on. Or friend me and maybe we can inspire eachother.
  • Graciecny
    Graciecny Posts: 303
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and around 163 pounds. I upped my calories to ~1500 and haven't seen any downside to it weight-loss wise. I also eat back exercise calories. Sadly, I don't lift (I WILL be starting when I get back from my summer vacation) just do a little cardio here and there, and I love, love, LOVE me those extra calories!

I started out on 1200 here at ~196 pounds and then realized I would lose my freakin' mind (or want to kill my hubby who loses weight by deciding not to drink soda - argh!) if I didn't get more to eat! So I upped my calories back in March, and a few times since then, have continued to lose pretty much the same as before. I am also a much happier person when I actually get to eat. :laugh: Personally, I try to net at least my BMR, sometimes over. I think if I ever got into lifting, I'd probably be able to up them again.

Good luck figuring it all out!