Book: You are your own gym?

Options
Has anyone read "You are your own gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises" ?
If so - was it useful?
I don't have any equipment really at home aside from small hand weights so I was thinking bodyweight exercises might be a way to take things up a notch. Was curious to see what people thought of the book.

Replies

• LittleD311
    LittleD311 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I havent read it, but sounds like a good read. I do all my workouts at home,and bodyweight is the best workout I think!
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    bump
  • fordies
    fordies Posts: 14
    Options
    I have the book and while I haven't read too much into it at present the bits I did got me wondering how much of it is available free on the internet. That is the impression I got from the bits I have read but like I said I haven't put too much time into so could be a lot better than I am making out.

I plan to use the book to create a program to use for when I am on my travels but that is not for a while yet so I am just going to the gym right now.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have the book and while I haven't read too much into it at present the bits I did got me wondering how much of it is available free on the internet. That is the impression I got from the bits I have read but like I said I haven't put too much time into so could be a lot better than I am making out.

I plan to use the book to create a program to use for when I am on my travels but that is not for a while yet so I am just going to the gym right now.

Yes i'm certain if I googled bodyweight exercises i'd find a lot of it out there, but to be honest i'm ok with paying $12 for the book to have it all right there together where I can highlight and mark pages etc (i'm kind of a nerd like that lol)
  • mfanyafujo
    mfanyafujo Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have finished the beginner 10 week program, and am on week 2 of the second program. The results have been awesome. I have lost fat and gained a fair amount of muscle. I am able to do everything, even without any weights or equipment. Totally worth it. Although - I spend a lot of time being somewhat sore, and the first week was very difficult, especially for my arms.
  • KelseyDawn84
    KelseyDawn84 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I have finished the beginner 10 week program, and am on week 2 of the second program. The results have been awesome. I have lost fat and gained a fair amount of muscle. I am able to do everything, even without any weights or equipment. Totally worth it. Although - I spend a lot of time being somewhat sore, and the first week was very difficult, especially for my arms.

lol I have zero arm strength so I fully anticipate being super sore for a while :)
    Thanks for sharing your experience.
  • JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I just received the book in the mail today. My sister (who is a trained fitness instructor) highly recommended it. Have already read all the first part...and am now ready to give it a go!
  • peachprl
    peachprl Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    One of my MFP friends is doing the basic level and is getting great results. She inspired me to order it- I should get it tomorrow :-) From the research I have done on the book, it seems highly recommended by people at all fitness levels (beginners with knee problems to bodybuilders).
  • faithstephenson
    faithstephenson Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I just started week 6 of the beginner track. I have really seen results. I won't take measurements til Wednesday night, but I can definately see and feel a difference. And when I started, I had to do push ups with my hands elevated (easier than 'normal'), but today I did 2 sets of 5 push ups with my feet elevated (harder than 'normal'). I have the book on my kindle app on my phone, as well as a YAYOG app to track my workouts-totally worth the $2.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I am about to start week 3 of the basic training and I love it so far. The first upper body workout was killer and I couldn't move for 3 days but it is getting better.
    Can anybody comment on the progression and how you are doing from weeks with ladders to weeks with interval etc. And if somebody finished the basic training and started the next level... I am definitely sticking with it but I am wondering how hard it is to keep going through the program without repeating days or weeks.

PS: The iphone app (there is an android too I think) is a great help. Check it out.
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    I am about to start week 3 of the basic training and I love it so far. The first upper body workout was killer and I couldn't move for 3 days but it is getting better.
    Can anybody comment on the progression and how you are doing from weeks with ladders to weeks with interval etc. And if somebody finished the basic training and started the next level... I am definitely sticking with it but I am wondering how hard it is to keep going through the program without repeating days or weeks.

PS: The iphone app (there is an android too I think) is a great help. Check it out.

I have finished the first two levels and am taking a short break. My strength has really improved though. The ladders are still killers, especially arms. I haven't had to repeat any weeks because I felt I wasn't strong enough to move on. I feel like it gets more difficult, but after the first few weeks I stopped experiencing muscle soreness (at least no where near as much). Looking forward to starting the third level soon.
  • LessJos
    Options
    Third level? Wow, that's great.
    I can't wait to finish the basic level and hopeful also see the difference.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I just got the book this week. I started on the 1st Class program and quickly realized that I need to start at beginner level! Wow, 7.5 minutes is a long time when you're doing push ups!!!
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    Looks good. I just grabbed the book
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    i have trouble finding appropriate equipment for some of the exercises
  • Cmandy67
    Cmandy67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good book!
  • LessJos
    Options
    i have trouble finding appropriate equipment for some of the exercises

Like what?
    Check out marklauren.com there is a forum on the page where people discuss all kinds of topics. Including alternatives (no door?) to let me ins etc.
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Just finished Week One....It looks like there are three days off, that seems like a long break.

1) Are you skipping the break?

2) Taking a shorter break?

3) Doing something else in between?

I was just going to rest one day or maybe go for a nice long run.
  • mfanyafujo
    Options
    Just finished Week One....It looks like there are three days off, that seems like a long break.

1) Are you skipping the break?

2) Taking a shorter break?

3) Doing something else in between?

I was just going to rest one day or maybe go for a nice long run.

Are you doing the four days straight in a row? And then taking 3 days off?

I did two days, break one day, two more days, break one day, etc. I usually finished the program about a week early this way, but it worked for me and gave me lots of rest time. I do additional strength training and cardio pretty much every day.