Running Form?

Options
I did Week 1 Day 1 of C25K on Friday ( I am a beginner runner). I was fine, walked 3 mph and ran 5.5 mph. I think I might have pushed myself too hard or something though because the back of my calves were cramping and hurting so bad. So, I took it easy over the weekend. Today on my lunch break, I tried to go for a walk but had to stop 1) because it started raining and 2) I felt sharp pains on the front AND back of my calves extending to my ankle. Did I do something wrong when I ran on Friday? Is there a proper way to run? How do I know? Please help. I want to run, I enjoy running now but I don't want to cause further damage.

Replies

• bunnylvr
    bunnylvr Posts: 78
    Options
    Are you stretching? What about your running shoes? A good pair running shoes can make a world of difference! When I first started running I had horrible shin splits, I was running in old worn out shoes. I went out and bought myself some running shoes and the shin splits disappeared.
  • SaraBelle0312
    SaraBelle0312 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No stretching or running shoes. I just have work shoes, non skid. I didn't want to wait until payday to start running. LOL I guess that would help alot. :)
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    What kind of stretches & running shoes do you recommend? I have NO knowledge of any of this stuff?
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Ha... I started Week 1 Day 1 of C25K on Thursday and my muscles still hurt... lol
  • hkasel
    hkasel Posts: 69
    Options
    You definitely need running shoes!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. You don't have to buy them there but it will give you an idea about what kind of shoes to get.
  • ken1994
    ken1994 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    There are a number of websites, I would google "stretching before and after a run, or check out: http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-241-287--13442-0,00.html Hope this helps!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Go to a specialty running store and get fitted for shoes. Don't pay attention to the brand. A good store will only have good running shoes. Pick the ones that feel the best to your feet from the ones suggested by the store employee. Everyone's feet are different. Don't by a shoe because a friend recommended it. Get the right shoe for your foot and your gait.
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    What kind of stretches & running shoes do you recommend? I have NO knowledge of any of this stuff?

If there is a specialty running store in your area (where I am, we have "The Running Room" stores), I would go there. They will ask you to run back and forth in the store without your shoes, and will look at how your foot falls. Then they'll pick a bunch of shoes that will be right for your type of foot fall, and you can try them on and run back and forth in the store. I ended up trying on about five pairs before I found ones that felt perfect - and it was well worth the time and money spent!

Good luck, and enjoy your running! :D
  • mary_kate23
    mary_kate23 Posts: 156
    Options
    definitely need running shoes... and try putting your toes on the edge of a step and push your heel down to extend calves. warmup walks are essential. don't need to get shin splints!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I did the first 3 weeks without running shoes and it hurt but not that bad. Stretching makes a world of difference and yes, there is proper running form. I am a new runner myself so it might be something to look into yourself, but when you run, you should land on your feet like you're tiptoeing, but then bring the rest of your foot down to avoid injury. Running heel to toe gave me the WORST shin splints.

But yes, invest in good running shoes as soon as possible. I went to a running shoe store and got fitted for what was right for my foot type and it definitely helps! Plus, they'll show you what to look for when those run out.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    if you can find a running store near you that is your best option to be fitted correctly. They can watch you run and see what show is best for you-also when buying running shoes you should buy 1/2 to 1 full size bigger than your normal shoe size-a professional running store will fit you correctly for size-pronation etc.
  • jenngi620
    jenngi620 Posts: 51
    Options
    Great job getting started, that's the hardest part! You will have some growing pains to deal with as you get used to the new type of work out. Look up a "running store" near you for shoes. They'll run about a hundred, but here's the thing. You can go in to "get fit" for shoes, where they watch you walk and tell you if you need anything special. If stability is the only thing you need, you can leave there and get a pair for something like $60 somewhere else, just ask for running shoes. The great thing about this sport is that is about it for expenses. I walk for about 5 min. Do some dynamic stretches, front and side lunges, hamstring and quads and also I find a curb or something to do calf raises off of. This is good for your shin muscles. Do your run, then after get a good 10-15 min strectch in if you can feeling a resistance in all of those leg muscles. The hip ones are my fav, sitting with one leg crossed over the outstretched one (like you were hugging your knee to your chest) and turn your torso toward the crossed leg, and then lifting your lower leg up toward your upper body. So hip, quad, ham at finish minimum. Good luck, and don't get discouraged. I've been running for two years and some days it still hurts, sometimes it doesn't.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    What the others said... get fitted for proper running shoes at a Running Store (not a sports store if you can help it). They will get you into the shoes you need.

Also, stretch, stretch, stretch, when you get done running. I pulled a calf muscle in the middle of training for my first half marathon that side-lined me for two weeks. But once I started stretching I haven't had any problems since. You can find all kinds of post-run stretches by googling. That's what I did! :smile:

In the mean time RICE it (Rest, Ice, Compression, and Elevate), get some good running shoes, and don't give up! Hope it gets to feeling better soon! :flowerforyou:
  • SaraBelle0312
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much you guys! I hopefully will be able to afford running shoes soon :)
  • kmoore02
    kmoore02 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and get fitted. You don't have to buy them there but it will give you an idea about what kind of shoes to get.

Thats great advice! Make sure you are aware of their return policy before you buy because they may not take them back if you wear them outdoors. I bought some great running shoes that were very comfortable in the store and on the treadmill I thought until I ran outdoors and it actually my pain 10x worse and I couldn't take the shoes back. I wish I had gone to ****s instead.

The proper stretches actually eliminated my leg pain all together. I googled "stretches for runners" and found youtube videos that were very helpful!
  • Matthewgd24
    Options
    i have nike running shoes and they are really light and work well in all types of conditions, even rain...one way to not kill your knees is taking sudden cuts...and buy a foam roller and roll out the knots!! those thing are amazing, especially for someone like you who said they are having calf problems
  • bpetlock
    bpetlock Posts: 109
    Options
    a good stretch to do for your calves and your shins is to place your foot (front pad and toes) up against the wall with your leg extended straight. Then you lean your body into the wall using your arms to control your weight. This helps tremendously with shin splints and calf pain. Also make sure that you stretch your hamstrings because if those tighten up you might end up with lower back pain too.
  • SelkieDiver
    SelkieDiver Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    in the meantime, try slowing your run down. 5.5 is pretty fast for a new runner. You want to be able to carry on a conversation (not panting). Try to concentrate on keeping your legs and feet relaxed and loose and keep a short stride. You're going to have soreness - it's normal. You have all these tiny muscles in your lower legs that just don't normally get used this heavily, but they will adapt. Plus you have to slowly strengthen all the tendons and ligaments in your legs and feet. the program is designed to do this slowly to try and avoid injury to stick with it and don't jump ahead.

Check out Active.com - they have a large section on running with tons of helpful articles on form, stretching, equipment, etc.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options

YES! YES! YES!

There is not 1 brand or 1 shoe for everyone! This makes the world of a difference and they will go through what you need and why!