Newbie Advice

Options
Garf255
Garf255 Posts: 9 Member
Hi,

I've been using MFP for a few weeks now trying to lose a bit of weight and get fitter, and I was hoping I might be able to get a bit of advice on diet. Since starting with MFP I've lost about 3lbs (over about 3 weeks) and was hoping for a bit more if I'm honest, but realise that you have to get these things right to see the best results.

I'm currently at 191lbs and have set myself a goal of 165lbs which I think is about average for my age (36) and height (5' 10"). I have been trying to exercise at least 3 times a week (cycling or swimming) and have been doing my best to keep to my calorie target of 1270 per day (which was advised by MFP). I'm actually finding it difficult to eat enough calories through the week as when I exercise I end up having loads more calories to top up on and I now think that my body is storing it all.

When at home I have usually have cereal for breakfast, exercise around lunch time and then follow it up with a protein shake (which I've only just started to do after some advice from a friend) and then a normal dinner with the family in thfffe evening. Today I also had a couple of snacks mid-afternoon to increase my calorie intake. I'm also drinking plenty of water.

Do you think I should be doing anything different? I should say that I do feel better, I think the exercise is helping me to get fitter so it's not all doom & gloom - I just wish there was a bit more change in the weight.

Thanks for reading :happy:

Garf

Replies

• Laurie1267
    Laurie1267 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hi Garf:

Congrats on making the choice to get healthy. I know slow weight loss can be very frustrating, but be patient. Don't feel you need to eat more to compensate for the calories burned in exercise. You can stay at MFP's calorie goal and still exercise. You should see the weight loss pick up a bit.

I'll send you a friend request.
  • Jauryn
    Jauryn Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    1270 is nowhere near enough calories (my own minimum was 1200 and I'm a fairly light girl, so that doesn't seem at all right)! Head over to Eat More to Weigh Less and to the Food and Nutrition forum boards for some good advice on what you should be eating.
  • Jscanland
    Jscanland Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    start writing down everything you eat, see what you are really consuming calorie wise and in what carbs/protien etc... you and I are simular, 191 today!! but I'm 50!

5x week excersize is what my Nutritionist has me on.
  • Goal_Line
    Goal_Line Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    3 lbs in 3 weeks is good for your size. Stay patient.

What worked for me is eating more and exercising more. I'd do something physical everyday (walk, bike, stairmaster, weights, jog) vary the work out each day so your body doesn't get used to it.

Eat more, burn more.
  • jhunt90
    jhunt90 Posts: 78
    Options
    Don't forget to drink half your weight in water (ounces) if you're not already, it's super important :)
  • DorisInTheDena
    DorisInTheDena Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Get a good scale and weigh everything you eat. Our eyes fool us.
  • Goal_Line
    Options
    Get a good scale and weigh everything you eat. Our eyes fool us.

This is VERY good advise. Also invest in a heart rate monitor with a calorie function to get a good estimate of the calories you burn
  • Garf255
    Garf255 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responses and advice everyone, didn't expect so many :happy:

I've got a heart monitor which I'm using when I excersise to make sure I stay within the fat burning zone. I am also adding everything I eat to MFP, anything that isn't in the db I find the details and add it. I'm also exercising closer to 5 times a week, 40 - 60 mins each time, but that is mainly cycling so maybe I should mix that up a bit with something different.

I thought the advice of 1270 calories per day seemed low so will check out the site you mentioned to see what it suggests.

Thanks again for the help and advice

Garf
  • Goal_Line
    Options
    Thanks for responses and advice everyone, didn't expect so many :happy:

I've got a heart monitor which I'm using when I excersise to make sure I stay within the fat burning zone. I am also adding everything I eat to MFP, anything that isn't in the db I find the details and add it. I'm also exercising closer to 5 times a week, 40 - 60 mins each time, but that is mainly cycling so maybe I should mix that up a bit with something different.

I thought the advice of 1270 calories per day seemed low so will check out the site you mentioned to see what it suggests.

Thanks again for the help and advice

Garf

You're doing fine Garf, 3 weeks is too short a time period to come to any conclusions and a lb a week is not bad.