Train for a half marathon

Options
I need opinions on what a sufficient amount of time is to train for a half marathon.
In 11 weeks there's going to be a half marathon in a nearby town which my boyfriend has just signed up for and is now pushing me to join him. I'm relatively fit but I do not enjoy running at all, I despise it and feel like it is torture. What I'm wondering is, if I did sign up just to check this off of my bucket list, is 11 weeks is even enough time to get my body into running condition, thoughts?

Replies

• Gutter19
    Gutter19 Posts: 141
    Options
    I used a 12 week program before mine and I was able to complete it with a very decent time for my first one, but I had been running around 4 to 5 miles once or twice a week before that. But, if you do not like running then I certainly wouldn't attempt it anyways because you will be running a lot and if you hate it...there are other challenges you could cross off your list instead.

All that said...I think it can be done, but you will have to WANT to do it.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    yes, you can do it in that amt of time!
  • monyango
    monyango Posts: 166
    Options
    If you currently run a few times a week I think it is do-able. Otherwise I'd say you'd be pushing it!
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I trained in 10 weeks, never have ran in my life (I was "fit" though). Take it slow and easy focusing more on miles instead of time. I love Jeff Galloway's method of run/walk!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Do you run at all now? Are you in shape enough to run 3 miles? It is doable, but I won't lie in that it may very well be challenging.

There are a ton of 12 week training programs out there that you can modify as needed.

Good luck to you! :smile:
  • kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    11 weeks is ample time to train for a half marathon.
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Yes you can. Hal Higdon has a program I've used to train for half marathons for the last two years.
  • Leah_T
    Leah_T Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't consider myself a runner, but i have done 2 half marathons. I trained in about 10 weeks (i was already running/jogging on a regular basis and had done a few 5k's and a 10k before starting my training). I picked one day a week and did extra. I do 3-4 miles on a pretty regular basis during the week so one day (usually Sundays) i would do extra. I started at 6 miles. The next week i would try to do 7 etc. If i couldn't run/jog them all i walked. I tried to do 12 or 13 miles the last couple of weeks to get myself used to running that long. Just a suggestion. My half marathon time is slow (2 hours 55 mins), but i finished (and i finished on my feet).
  • Stephie_lee
    Options
    I don't run right now. I do cycle into work every day, which is about a 15km round trip, and do 45 min of cardio 4 days a week, either eliptical or brisk walking. I just want to make sure that I have a realistic time line before I decide to bust my butt just to disappoint myself.
    I can start tonight, just have to find a program.
  • Ribena145
    Ribena145 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend ...... is now pushing me to join him. I'm relatively fit but I do not enjoy running at all, I despise it and feel like it is torture.

Doesn't sound like good enough reasons to do it. Would he do something you're good at and ready to do and that he hated or despised doing?

Pass, at least for now. You probably could do it, but given the circumstances, it could discourage you from running at all. Wait until YOU are ready!
  • piesbd
    piesbd Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have to say, going from cycling a century to running a half was the hardest thing.... but incredibly rewarding at the same time.... as I stated before, if you are relatively active now, you can do it. It may be hard, but it is doable.

Here is a good program to follow: http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_4/134.shtml
  • CharMarieDavis
    Options
    I would not classify myself as a "runner" but I was training to be one. It took me 8 weeks of training to do 7 miles and I pushed it too hard because I ended up getting a stress fracture in my foot. Running is unbelievably hard on your body and it is much more important to train your body to that sort of distance which is much harder than training your cardio for that distance. I think it's feasible but if for whatever reason during training your shins, feet...anything start hurting. STOP. Take a break. In my opinion, 11 weeks is really pushing it BUT it's not impossible.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I don't run right now. I do cycle into work every day, which is about a 15km round trip, and do 45 min of cardio 4 days a week, either eliptical or brisk walking. I just want to make sure that I have a realistic time line before I decide to bust my butt just to disappoint myself.
    I can start tonight, just have to find a program.

You'll want to have a regular running routine before running a half-marathon. I would start out with a 5k or 10k.
  • Stephie_lee
    Options
    I checked out the Hal Higdon program and it looks do-able, even though I'm one week short of his timeline.

Signed up and going for it, I don't need to have the best time in the world I just need to finish... hopefully not last :)
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I checked out the Hal Higdon program and it looks do-able, even though I'm one week short of his timeline.

Signed up and going for it, I don't need to have the best time in the world I just need to finish... hopefully not last :)

You'll do great! Good luck!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options

That's the best training program out there (IMO), so if you're able to do it, this program is the best choice at getting you there!
  • Stephie_lee
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions and the suggestions.