Inconsistencies

Options
I've read the posts on eating your exercise calories, here on MFP, and I understand what it's saying.

On the other hand, research into methods of losing weight such as the Biggest Loser diet doesn't match that philosophy.

They don't eat their exercise calories.

They also work out a crazy amount of hours, which is not something I'm usually up for.

I could live with losing a pound or two a week, and it seems to me that if the contestants on that show manage to lose weight while not eating their exercise calories (which would number in the thousands) then perhaps there's simply no reason one "can't" just stick with consuming the regular calories set.

So what I'm wondering is, are any of you NOT eating your exercise calories and losing weight just fine?

(not looking for a debate...I don't think it's necessary to agree :) )

Replies

• msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    I have never really eaten my exercise calories, and done just fine. Actually, much of the time I don't bother to log my exercise, because I know I'm doing it, and I don't necessarily want to see the extra calories on my list for the day and be tempted!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I have never really eaten my exercise calories, and done just fine. Actually, much of the time I don't bother to log my exercise, because I know I'm doing it, and I don't necessarily want to see the extra calories on my list for the day and be tempted!

70 lbs is excellent.

It also occurs to me that if we're eating our exercise calories, we're eating more fat, more salt, etc. An excess in various categories.
  • msh0530
    Options
    I tried to check out your link, but it says that I don't have access.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    I tried to check out your link, but it says that I don't have access.

try this:

http://bit.ly/1dVqxt
  • msh0530
    Options
    OK, read it. I don't know if I totally agree with it, because I do believe that it is possible to mess up your metabolism more than they say by not eating enough. However, I think that happens more often when people go on "fad" diets that are not balanced. Just a personal observation from seeing many dieters over the years. I finally decided that the only way to do it was to do it, meaning get started, which took me about 25 years, and to make changes to a healthy lifestyle rather than go on a "diet'. I have come to dislike that word. Anyway, seems to be working for me, so at this point I plan to stick with it for about 9 more months or so and see where I am then. I'm a little more than 10 months in, so surely I can do 9 more.
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've been eating my exercise calories and I've been at a stand-still, so a couple days ago, I decided to cut my calorie intake and NOT eat my exercise calories to see what that does. It's only been a couple days so I should see results (or not) by mid-week! Gosh, I hope I see at least a lb or two gone, otherwise I don't know what else to do.
  • nakrya
    nakrya Posts: 191
    Options

70 lbs is excellent.

It also occurs to me that if we're eating our exercise calories, we're eating more fat, more salt, etc. An excess in various categories.

If you are expending a huge amount of energy, your body will need more fuel. It's basic science (I know you're not looking to debate :p).

I honestly don't focus so much on the "calories" as I do with "what" I'm eating. Some days I use up my excercise calories because I find I'm more hungry and other days I don't. I think as long as you don't put crap into your body, you should see results. And we all know results take time. :)
  • LittleSister
    LittleSister Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Last week, I ate my exercise calories. And just to be safe, I ate your exercise calories too.

I didn't lose any weight.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    Options
    Last week, I ate my exercise calories. And just to be safe, I ate your exercise calories too.

I didn't lose any weight.

You ate my exercise calories and I still didn't lose weight. What's up with that?
  • danarochelle
    danarochelle Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    You guys are too funny! :tongue:
  • mtweety33
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories and I lose between 2 to 4 pounds most weeks.

143295.png
  • sleitner
    sleitner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I do not eat my exercise calories (average 500 - 600 calories per day x 5 times per week), and have been losing about 2lbs/wk.
  • linzismith
    linzismith Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    i think the big thing is just to not take in less than 1200 calories a day, because that's what your body needs just to pump blood around and breathe and stuff. some days, i eat all my exercise calories and some days i don't. but no matter what, if my exercising puts me below 1200 net calories and i get that message on the homepage about undernutrition, then i eat more calories whether i'm hungry or not, just to get it above 1200.
  • Naokoheart
    Options
    bump :D
  • Hannah_Banana
    Hannah_Banana Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    i think the big thing is just to not take in less than 1200 calories a day, because that's what your body needs just to pump blood around and breathe and stuff.

Agree! :flowerforyou:

My outlook is that everyone's body is different. For instance, some people (like me) can't eat a lot of carbs, regardless of how many calories they take in. For some people its fat, for some people its eating exercise calories. I personally don't eat mine. I eat a consistent 1200/day and generally have about a 1300 calorie deficit for the day (I have a bodybugg that monitors energy expenditure). If on days I exercise, I listen to my body and it tells me it needs more food, I feed it. So I may eat some of my exercise cals back, or I may not eat any.

I've actually spent the last year, not obsessed with weight loss, but learning about MY body and the way it works. Its taken me almost exactly 12 months to figure out the proper formula for personal weight loss but now that I discovered it - its SO motivating! There is no guesswork or crystal balls anymore, just good solid science.

So basically... exercise calories are IMHO something you need to decide on for yourself. As long as you are eating at least 1200/1500 depending on your gender and those calories come from nutritious foods, you feel strong and energetic and you continue to lose weight at a steady, healthy rate I think you're pretty safe. :bigsmile:

Now where's a hardcore pro-exercise-cal-eating-person to smite me! :devil:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    I eat some of my exercise calories and I am doing ok. There are days when I burn 1000 - 1500 calories and I can't eat all that but the base calories I am allowed are not enough so I do exercise to eat
  • Rosebud1956
    Options
    lol! To funny, sounds like something I would do...:laugh:
  • bonkers5975
    bonkers5975 Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I've done both. Some weeks it works for me, and some it doesn't. But as a general rule, I have a 1870 cals allowed before exercise, I burn 600-1600 a day, and I eat 2000 to 2400 (depending on what kind of exercise I did) a day. This plan allows me to lose 2-4 lbs in a week, on a good week. Right now I'm in the dreaded plateau and NOTHING is working! except that I am shedding inches like crazy.:smile:

If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm just bored, I try not to :bigsmile:
  • Chocolickkyss
    Chocolickkyss Posts: 3,654 Member
    Options
    This dialogue has been extremely helpful for me as I struggle with whether I should consume my exercise calories. I am having a difficult time eating the 1200 daily allotment so adding in an additional 500-800 would be extremely difficult. I need to start listening to my body more and eat if I am truly hungry instead of worrying about if it takes me into my exercise calories.

What a wonderful way to start my day. I am feeling good about this week. Thank again for such an interesting and heartfelt discussion :smile: