hard kick to the weight loss Low Carb Approach. Thoughts?

Options

Replies

• supergirl6
    supergirl6 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    My BFF and I have been doing the weight loss thing together and we are very, very different in sizes. I started out around 330 and she started out around 230. My weight loss was very quick and steady at about 2.3 lbs most weeks and I almost never yo-yoed up and down until I hit 33 lbs and then I plateaued when I kicked up my weight training. Then I gained a few lbs back but lost a lot more in inches. She, on the other hand, lost every other week or so and most weeks she lost the numbers were small. She'd have big losses of like 3-4 lbs every once in a while.

Here's the thing - she's been staying at my house this year and so we've eaten almost the same foods, splurged almost the same days on the same food, we go to the gym together on the same day for the same amount of time 5 days a week. But our bodies are just different. Our weight loss is different. You'll drive yourself bonkers if you try to compare your weight loss to everyone else.

My personal philosophy is that any particular diet plan that restricts a certain food a lot is bound to be trouble eventually. People generally can't cut certain foods out of their diet forever, and your body (and your brain especially!) still needs carbs to function. Controlling how much and what kind is the important factor. Incorporating all kinds of food into our life teaches us how to manage it properly, how not to be afraid of certain kinds of foods, and how not to obsess that we've somehow "been bad" when we eat them. Beating yourself up over being bad, or wrong, or a cheat, or a failure is not healthy either. Balance is key.

Good luck! I hope you find a place you're comfortable with in your eating/exercising. I personally found taking pictures once a week of my front, side, and back to be particularly motivating, especially when I plateaued. You get to see a visual change even when the scale doesn't seem to be moving.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    I don't disagree with anybody here, but sometimes it feels a little disappointing when you see people loosing 50lbs in 5 months

If you were to put it on a bell curve, an average of 10lb per month would be way out at the ends of curve - I don't know for sure, but I would think in the 1-2% of the population. And probably, they had a lot more weight to lose than you did. If you're continually losing, then just keep going. The body goes through cycles, and sometimes needs time to adapt to a new stage.

Feel good about what you are accomplishing, and much better you feel, and how much better your clothes are fitting. If you set goals for yourself that are too tough or unattainable, you'll get discouraged. Celebrate your successes and keep at it!
  • linochka1969
    linochka1969 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    In my original post, I wasn't asking for a pep talk or the explanation why am I not losing fast enough , I was asking if anybody used a Low Carb Approach/Atkins diet to kick stubborn weight lol
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    In my original post, I wasn't asking for a pep talk or the explanation why am I not losing fast enough , I was asking if anybody used a Low Carb Approach/Atkins diet to kick stubborn weight lol

And I think the people who responded were letting you know that your numbers look great. There is no "stubborn" weight to be kicked!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    since 6/06 I have lost like 1 1/2 lbs. How is it working?

I workout six days a week and eat 1200-1500 calories per day (so kinda close to what you do). I've been tracking my progress in an excel spreadsheet. I noticed that I lost a bunch in the beginning, then I went down to losing 0-.5 pounds per week (for like a month), then went back to losing 1-1.5 pounds per week. Like Sidesteal said, weight loss isn't linear. Just keep doing what you are doing and eventually the weight will come off. BTW- 1.5 pounds in 3 weeks is an average of .5 pounds per week. That's a good amount to lose in a week. Good luck! :smile:

Weight loss will fluctuate. Some weeks I'd lose nothing. Then it would show up as a 3-5 pound loss a couple weeks later. Just keep going. Listen to your body and stay active. The weight will come off!

I agree. I had a month where I lost like 7 lbs and it was awesome! Then a month where I only lost 3. Not a big deal, are you measuring yourself as well? When the scale isn't moving, I do still notice my measurements going in the right direction.

Changing up your diet and/or workout routine can help you bust through a plateau, for sure. However going low carb *just* to jump start the weight loss won't work in the long run. And by that I mean if you cut out carbs drastically, lose 5 lbs, then re-introduce the carbs, chances are your weight loss will stall out again.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    You might need to eat more. 1200 calories is really an arbitrary number and isn't suited for everyone. Also, like other's have pointed out, weight loss isn't linear. Plus it's very common to lose weight quickly at the beginning and the slow down a bit as the journey continues.

As for low carb, if you're doing a lot of cardio, going low carb isn't necessary the best route. I'm a runner, so I need to eat carbs or else my runs suffer. Try adding in some strength training. It might slow the progress on the scale, but the inches will likely come off faster, and that IS the point of weight loss, afterall.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options

I have, and am. Its been really good for me so far but, my bmi is like 40... and I am eating close to what you are as far as calories are concerned.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago and it backfired. I gained it back quickly when I started eating "normal" again and it made me feel lousy.

A friend of mine lost like 18 lbs in 2 weeks on Atkins, got a bladder infection and had to drink Cranberry juice. True story...she gained all 18 lbs back in 2 DAYS!

Cutting carbs in general isn't a bad idea, but strict carb cutting can be extreme. Its just not a realistic or sustainable change and can really mess up your body!

As others suggested, maybe try some other approaches to 'changing things up' first and see if that kicks your weight loss into gear. You're not doing bad overall....its a marathon, not a sprint. Good luck!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

Low carb and high carb both can lead to insulin resistance. If you do choose to do low carb, do something similar to CKD, 5 days low carb 2 days high carb.

I have done low carb in the past, nothing special about it. I find myself leaning towards low carb right now. Not for the weight loss benefits but more for the satiety benefits. My workouts are different and my calories are a bit lower, I feel it would help to do low carb in my situation.

Same here, I'm pretty low carb but not for weight loss reasons. I stay more satisfied when my diet focuses more on protein (I eat a ratio of 40% protein, 30% carbs, 30% fats, but I'm usually under on carbs). Also, I have a gluten intolerance, but even gluten-free starches like rice and potatoes (and GF bread/pasta products) tend to upset my stomach or make me feel lethargic so I just stay away from them. If you'd like some ideas of what is commonly referred to as a "slow carb" diet looks like, take a look at my diary (although ignore this past weekend...beer and tacos were involved...).
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    I don't disagree with anybody here, but sometimes it feels a little disappointing when you see people loosing 50lbs in 5 months

But how much weight do they have to lose? The closer you are to your goal weight the slower it will come off! And you're gaining muscle, you're losing inches. The scale is not the be all to end all. As one poster said Patience grasshopper. Of course it's frustrating, but I'm guessing you didn't put it all on in a month or a week and I bet you didn't put it on at the same rate all the time. It comes off that same way!

Im a low-carber, I have been for years, and I'm not doing it to simply lose weight, I'm eating low-carb as a way of life. I'm not going back to eating loads of starches etc when I reach my goal and I think anyone who recommends low-carb as simply a short term diet plan is not helping. Low-carb eating is a lifestyle change, and as others have said, it's not the answer for everyone. However, if you use it simply to lose those last few pounds, I can nearly 100% guarantee that you will regain any weight lost if you go back to eating the starches, grains etc.

One more thing. You aren't everyone else. You are you, and you can't expect to be like everyone else, even if you eat exactly what someone else eats, you, because of your unique metabolism and body shape etc., will still not lose weight exactly the same way.
  • Romans624
    Romans624 Posts: 822
    Options
    I did it years ago and it backfired. I gained it back quickly when I started eating "normal" again and it made me feel lousy.

A friend of mine lost like 18 lbs in 2 weeks on Atkins, got a bladder infection and had to drink Cranberry juice. True story...she gained all 18 lbs back in 2 DAYS!

Cutting carbs in general isn't a bad idea, but strict carb cutting can be extreme. Its just not a realistic or sustainable change and can really mess up your body!

Was she really just having the recommended amount of cranberry juice? Because I don't see how 18 lbs of water or glycogen can come back on just from that. The other thing to note is that a lot of people never really stick to anything other than phase one. You are supposed to gradually add complex carbohydrates until you see weight gains, then add less. Not a snickers. Not a high sugar item. Something like brown rice or an apple. At phase 3 these low carb diets have you eating from all food groups but keeping the principle of Quality nutrients and lower carb.

Low carb is not a diet destined to fail. Any "diet" can fail, its about the person's attitude, and realistic plan about how they are going to live in the short term and long term to ensure that they meet their health and fitness goals.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    You might need to eat more. 1200 calories is really an arbitrary number and isn't suited for everyone. Also, like other's have pointed out, weight loss isn't linear. Plus it's very common to lose weight quickly at the beginning and the slow down a bit as the journey continues.

This!

Your first post said it all for me, 1200 calories and trying to eat your calories back means you are probably under 1000 net most days...you won't lose weight with those numbers, I say try 1400-1500 NET and actually eat back those exercise calories. You will see results.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    since 6/06 I have lost like 1 1/2 lbs. How is it working?

I have never EVER lost more than 0.6 lbs a week, even with a 500 cal a day deficit. If the scale is going in the right direction, it's working. The smaller you start off the slower you will lose.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have been 50 days on MFP, and my weight loss is barely 13 lbs. It seems once I dropped 10 lbs first month, my weight loss turned into a slow moving turtle. I do exercise 6 times a week, including TF prep and walk( walking fast and sometime run a little) at least 2 times a week from 20 to 45 min. I am set at 1200 and I try to eat most of my exercise calories. I eat every two hours, eat healthy with occasional “screw driver” splurges on Saturdays still staying within my calorie limit, always try to choose low carb solutions when I choose my food.
    I want to give a hard kick to my weight loss, so was thinking tryning for a week to 20- 30 carb diet.
    Thoughts? Experiences?

You're currently losing an average of 7 pounds per month? I would say, congratulations...and keep doing what you're doing. Unless you have an impending photo shoot or some other arbitrary deadline to meet, why jeopardize progress that most on MFP would love to have? Save the "hard kicks" for when you reach a plateau...(a *real* plateau)...before your goal weight.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

You have to remember though, those of us that are fairly obese can shed weight really quickly. I can drop 20 lbs in a short period, but the closer I get to my "normal" weight the harder it is for me to drop.
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

That's so untrue. It's absolutely sustainable, realistic and can have incredible health benefits. Is it for everyone? Absolutely not, but you are making a judgment call not based on facts.
  • AwesomeAshley87
    Options
    my doctor has me on a low carb diest and its working very well for me i lost 15 lbs so far! but ya know, everyone is different :] good luck!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes...its slow. But its forever.

Its taken me 5 weeks to lose 7 pounds. And its gonna STAY off, this time. :)
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Was she really just having the recommended amount of cranberry juice? Because I don't see how 18 lbs of water or glycogen can come back on just from that. The other thing to note is that a lot of people never really stick to anything other than phase one. You are supposed to gradually add complex carbohydrates until you see weight gains, then add less. Not a snickers. Not a high sugar item. Something like brown rice or an apple. At phase 3 these low carb diets have you eating from all food groups but keeping the principle of Quality nutrients and lower carb.

Low carb is not a diet destined to fail. Any "diet" can fail, its about the person's attitude, and realistic plan about how they are going to live in the short term and long term to ensure that they meet their health and fitness goals.
    I think so...but honestly, I don't remember the details, except her having a fit over gaining it ALL back in one weekend.

For myself, I didn't stick with it because I felt horrible on it.....so yes, I didn't follow the phases of reintroducing carbs back into my diet. I just found it way too restrictive and not a sustainable lifestyle personally.. I guess it can work for some people, but depends on what your plans are for a long-term lifestyle as far as food is concerned.
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have been 50 days on MFP, and my weight loss is barely 13 lbs. It seems once I dropped 10 lbs first month, my weight loss turned into a slow moving turtle. I do exercise 6 times a week, including TF prep and walk( walking fast and sometime run a little) at least 2 times a week from 20 to 45 min. I am set at 1200 and I try to eat most of my exercise calories. I eat every two hours, eat healthy with occasional “screw driver” splurges on Saturdays still staying within my calorie limit, always try to choose low carb solutions when I choose my food.
    I want to give a hard kick to my weight loss, so was thinking tryning for a week to 20- 30 carb diet.
    Thoughts? Experiences?

Like you, I lost the first 10-15 pounds quite rapidly, and then things slowed down. It took me a year, but I lost over 30 pounds. Here are a few things you may want to think about:

1. The average body is only supposed to lose 1-2 pounds a week for "healthy" weight loss. I've heard that the faster you lose it, the more likely it is that you'll gain it back. If you've been on MFP for 50 days, that's about seven weeks; in that amount of time, 10.5 pounds is the average amount for healthy weight loss, but anything between seven and 14 pounds should be alright.

2. I've heard that after the first 10 pounds, your body realizes you're losing a lot of weight and tries to maintain your weight -- just in case you're starving or something. Even people who consistently lose weight over time will plateau at points in their weight-loss program. The reason I've read from health and diet websites is that the body adapts to taking in fewer calories and doing the same workout routine. A couple of tips I've heard to basically "trick" your body back into losing are: (a) eat a couple hundred calories more than you usually do for a few days, and then drop your calories back down. As long as you remain under the basic number of calories you need to maintain your weight, you shouldn't gain. (b) If your body is no longer challenged by the level of work you're doing, try interval training or more intense workouts.

3. I tried low-carb dieting. I was eating fruits and veggies, but skipping bread, pasta, and starchy foods. I was averaging about 60 grams a day when I was doing my best, which is 2-3 times as much as you're suggesting. I lost six pounds the first week -- but after three weeks of this diet, I was exhausted ALL THE TIME. I felt weak and sick. Everyone is different, and your body may be able to handle it - and if so, go ahead and make the best of it! Just don't sacrifice your health for looks, especially if you're not going to have the energy to go out and show it off!

4. You may not want to hear this (or most of the other stuff I've said), but your goals may just exceed your physical capability. My new weight loss goal would requre me to lose another 30 pounds and get toned. I can't do all that in only 50 days. I don't know what your goals are, but it sounds like you want major results in an impossible amount of time. Good things come to those who weight -- I mean, wait!

I'm not a doctor, nutritionist, or anything of the sort, so don't take my advice too seriously. However, anything that wasn't based on personal experience came from health articles online, so hopefully they're effective/helpful! :-)