Help!!!! Running

Options
I am 5"7 in 250 pounds I can walk at 3.4/3.5 for about 30-45mins but I do have to stop some time because my shin starts to hurt....What I'm trying to ask is what can I do to start running in build my endurance up and help me loss more weight quicker without killing myself in the process...

Replies

• therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Here's an exercise to help with your shin muscles.

Stand on a step with your heels on the edge. (toes off the step) For 30 seconds work your feet up and down. After the 30 seconds is up bend over slightly and do another 30 seconds. This is going to hurt like hell. But it strengthens up your shin muscles so that it won't hurt while you are running / walking.

As far as running look into the Couch to 5k program. It is a beginning running program where it starts you off running for 30 or 45 seconds and then walking for 90 seconds alternating for 30 minutes. Each week the program increases your running time and decreases your walking time. The goal is to be able to run 20 to 30 minutes without stopping.
  • jonsmomruns
    jonsmomruns Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather,
    If you are having pain in your shins, I highly suggest getting fitted for some new running shoes. Go to a local running store if possible and let them check out your feet & gait. It will go a long way to keep you from getting injured. Then check out couch to 5K. There is a podcast and online plan (free) that will give you an interval plan to build up to running from walking. Many local running stores also offer these types of programs and can help alot. Just remember to take it slow and cross train. Too much too soon can lead to injury. good luck!
  • jonsmomruns
    Options
    looks like the real and I posted at the same time. Good advice! :tongue:
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Start very slowly and build up very gradually.

If your shins are hurting from walking you may not be ready to start running yet.

Here's a link to some exercises that may help with the shin pain

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-241-286-289-12604-0,00.html

Once you're able to walk pain free go to a running specialty shop to get a pair of good runners (don't go to a big box store, at a running shop they should analyze your gait and recommend the appropriate type of shoe) and then start off by slowly running 30sec or so followed by a few minutes of walking, over time build up to a minute, then 2 minutes etc etc. Run at a comfortable (slow) pace - your goal is to build endurance not win Olympic gold.

Ultimately the time and distance you want to build up to to depends on your goals. If you goal is to run a 5K then check out one of the Couch to 5K apps - they'll have a specific training plan to follow.

It's going to be hard (at first) be persistent and consistent. Don't try to build up too quickly (most running injuries are a result of too much, too soon, too fast). Have fun!
  • Sbettwy
    Sbettwy Posts: 1
    Options
    Other aerobic activities can help build endurance while strengthening your legs and avoiding impact injuries. If you have access, look into pool walking/running (youtube it), or cycling (stationary or on the road).

Once you start jogging, focus on proper form. While walking is often a heel-to-toe motion, running strides should land on your mid-foot. Among the many benefits of mid-foot strides is increased shock absorption, which can help prevent shin overuse injuries.
  • Pgarcia413
    Pgarcia413 Posts: 28
    Options
    When I as pregnant and would go walking, my shins would hurt. A great way to get them warm-up for the activity is to tap your foot. Yes, that simple, tap your foot forward, than turn it to the right and left and tap.

This is addition to the other great advice you got here, strengthening your muscles as well as getting the right shoes.
  • alliefiorini
    alliefiorini Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I've been running for about 7 years now, and I've had shin pain on and off. I always find it occurs when I am in need of a new pair of shoes. I purchase my shoes from local running stores with employees who are trained to look at your feet, gait, stride, and how your current shoes are wearing. I'm sure you have a running store in your area and should get yourself some new running kicks!! Good excuse to go shoe shopping :)
  • heatherallen1020
    Options
    Hi Heather,
    If you are having pain in your shins, I highly suggest getting fitted for some new running shoes. Go to a local running store if possible and let them check out your feet & gait. It will go a long way to keep you from getting injured. Then check out couch to 5K. There is a podcast and online plan (free) that will give you an interval plan to build up to running from walking. Many local running stores also offer these types of programs and can help alot. Just remember to take it slow and cross train. Too much too soon can lead to injury. good luck!

I purchased some running shoes from a local running store. They did stopmthem from hurting as much, they told me that my shins will hurt because they are not use to the impact also because the weight Im putting on them.. They said they will stop hurting when my shins gets use to the impact but I just want them to not hurt at all....People say hard work is pain:cry:
  • jonsmomruns
    Options
    Hi Heather,
    Glad to hear that you got fitted for shoes. I also had issues with my shins when I first started running and was told alot of it probably had to do with my running in beat up old shoes. Like others have said, I can always tell when the shoes are giving out because I get some nagging aches and pains (usually knees or IT band). Keep working at it but don't push to pain. Discomfort is one thing, but you should never have pain. If so, stop and get it checked out. Shin splints are annoying, but keep pushing too hard and you may find yourself with a much worse injury. Hang in there!