HRM For Swimming & Aqua Aerobics?

Options
WaterBunnie
WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
...But Also Compatible With Precor Cardio Machines If Possible?

I've been doing a bit of research into this and getting very mixed reviews about whether HRMs will transmit through water or not and thought I'd ask members here as end-users!

I mainly swim breaststroke and some backstroke and take 2 aqua aerobics classes a week so the watch part would be in and out of the water a lot rather than constantly under water.

Does anyone have any good experiences with HRMs used for water based exercise in a chlorinated pool please?

Ideally I'd also like the chest strap to transmit to the Precor equipment in the gym so that I can get some more accurate readings there too.

Thank you for your time :-)

Replies

• Dare2BThin
    Dare2BThin Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    IDK about the equipment but I know Polar works under water
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and it does NOT work in the water - I swim in a bromine pool, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Some people say their polar works in the pool, but mine never has.

I know that's not helping much, but wanted you to know it doesn't work :)
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My Polar FT4 seems to work fine for everything you're wanting. I've had it since Christmas, and used it in the pool and on the gym equipment. The pool we have is chlorine.
  • mktrigirl2
    mktrigirl2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Look at Polar. I am a triathlete and recently purchased a polar RXC5 with the GPS unit. It can be used in the pool and I have done so successfully with the heart rate monitor. If you don't need the gps or any of the other sensors you may just be able to get the watch and the heart rate monitor and strap. I purchased my from amazon. Good Luck!
  • mktrigirl2
    mktrigirl2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Make sure to read up on the polar site about which ones work with the water and which are not recommended for it
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    The Polar watch is waterproof, but the WearLink does not work underwater. Some of the radio waves will transmit, but they will be distorted and thus the reading will not be anywhere near as accurate as when worn under normal (dry) conditions.

You can get poolmate watches that you can setup similar to HRMs and they count laps and work out calorie burn but its a guestimate at the end of the day.

I think the MFP values for swimming are way off (possibly by as much as 50%) so be wary of them if you're eating back (all) your exercise calories.
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    I've had a Nike TRIAX for about 8 years, and I've never had a problem with it in the water (pool/lake/ocean)
  • Melonhead
    Melonhead Posts: 168
    Options
    I think the MFP values for swimming are way off (possibly by as much as 50%) so be wary of them if you're eating back (all) your exercise calories.
    I wonder what MFP considers "vigorous effort". That will be different from person to person, based on fitness level and technique. right?
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    The Polar watch is waterproof, but the WearLink does not work underwater. Some of the radio waves will transmit, but they will be distorted and thus the reading will not be anywhere near as accurate as when worn under normal (dry) conditions.

You can get poolmate watches that you can setup similar to HRMs and they count laps and work out calorie burn but its a guestimate at the end of the day.

I've been calculating my water sessions via FitBit's site because it's about a third less generous so I've felt safer eating more of them back, but yes I have read that the WearLink won't transmit - but then others say it's faultless in water so I'm left confused! I don't think the poolmate would be much use for me because I tend to swim half lengths so I don't kick the rough floor in our very shallow end. I was hoping a HRM would help teach me what zones I was working in in the pool because sometimes the calculations given are similar to those I get on the treadmill on intervals which seems far more strenuous.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    I wonder what MFP considers "vigorous effort". That will be different from person to person, based on fitness level and technique. right?

That's also what I wonder. I log as leisurely swim but I'm a big girl so could be burning more closely to breaststroke rates but don't know so veer on the safe side.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and I've found it to be very accurate for me when swimming. At least in terms of my heart rate. As for actual calorie burn, who knows. MFP says that I burn close to 300 calories during a leisurely freestyle swim, where my HRM says I burn about 180.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    I use a Polar FT4 and I've found it to be very accurate for me when swimming. At least in terms of my heart rate. As for actual calorie burn, who knows. MFP says that I burn close to 300 calories during a leisurely freestyle swim, where my HRM says I burn about 180.

Could that be down to intermittent transmission though?
  • FinallyFindingLisa
    FinallyFindingLisa Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 and found that the calories burned while swimming is way weird. Acc'd to the last time I used it I would have burned more calories sitting on the couch for that time :huh:
  • rebecca_florida
    rebecca_florida Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT60 and it seems to work very well in the water (not the GPS part, mind you, but the chest strap and heart rate monitor part). I don't see it losing connection intermittently in the water - it is very steady and my heart rate seems consistent with the effort of other exercise I do.

I have noticed if you don't wash the strap periodically it may have difficulty transmitting. I also always detatch the transmitter thingy from the strap when I'm done because I read the battery life will last longer.

But in general I LOVE my HRM and have never had underwater issues other than it looks kinda stupid if I wear my chest strap with a two piece! :laugh:
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    Thanks everyone :-)