Benadryl and Advil PM and Weight Gain?

Options
I just read some unfortunate news regarding Benadryl and Advil PM. I have been taking Benadryl for allergy issues occasionally and Advil PM for sleeping regularly and they both apparently are linked to WEIGHT GAIN! Yikes! They also are known to be apatite stimulants. I think it's time I cut both of them out of my system. Has anyone else heard of this?

Replies

• AnnInTexas
    AnnInTexas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Holy cow! I take Advil PM all the time... guess I better find something else!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Never have.. But it makes sense. My mom just recently lost a bunch of weight but had steadily gained before that and was an avid before bed benedryl taker.

I wonder if that's one of the things she changed..

I've never had an issue with it being an athlete, but I know it makes me feel sluggish the next morning so that could also play into the fact that it increases weight gain.
  • wolfi622
    wolfi622 Posts: 206
    Options
    Pretty much all antihistamines (which are also in the "PM" pain relievers) have that effect.
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I havent heard about that, but if you are looking for something other than benedryl try pseudofed. You have to ask the pharmacist for it, but I use it for my allergies and it works better and doesnt make me sleepy..

ETA: Also, if you are looking for something to help you sleep, I use melatonin.
  • manda1028
    manda1028 Posts: 148
    Options
    they always make me get the munchies once i get that tired feeling. how weird, i thought it was just me. and i do take them both pretty regularly.. one or the other.. to sleep and to sleep better w/o allergies.
  • PicNic00
    PicNic00 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    diphenhydramine is the active ingredient in both products. Sometime weight gain can happen with overuse of this product.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    If you need help sleeping, try melatonin. It's a lot gentler on your system than Advil PM and is a natural supplement.

I used to have to take it every night, but since I cut processed food outta my diet and stuck to clean eating/working out regularly, I sleep like a rock almost every night without help. I notice I have lesser quality sleep when I eat crappy one day...

I take adderall for ADHD, so for me to be able to sleep through the night and sleep soundly without any kind of help is pretty amazing!
  • mlewon
    mlewon Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Also- as an alternative:

Reset your sleeping schedule with melatonin!

It's something your body naturally creates to help you feel drowsy, but if you don't feel drowsy at night you might not be producing it correctly or enough!

By taking melatonin an hour to two hours before you want to fall asleep each day for two weeks, it can reset your internal sleep clock and you can fall asleep without an aid.

I've done it and it can be done twice a year to keep you on track. The only catch is that you really want to stick to going to bed around the same time each night (say between 930-11) because your body has to regulate itself.
  • Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Also- as an alternative:

Reset your sleeping schedule with melatonin!

It's something your body naturally creates to help you feel drowsy, but if you don't feel drowsy at night you might not be producing it correctly or enough!

By taking melatonin an hour to two hours before you want to fall asleep each day for two weeks, it can reset your internal sleep clock and you can fall asleep without an aid.

I've done it and it can be done twice a year to keep you on track. The only catch is that you really want to stick to going to bed around the same time each night (say between 930-11) because your body has to regulate itself.

So, taking my melatonin with all my other vitamins in the morning was probably a bad idea? /sigh...
  • SASSYJAX
    SASSYJAX Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    CRIKEY im in shock...
    I take 50mg of diphenhydramine most nights and cetrizine htdrochloride anti histamine....

jeeeeez really...how much is overuse?
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I've tried taking melatonin and it gives me horrible headaches, even when I take the 1mg tablet.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Not sure if they do but both are VERY drying to your body so I don't see how it can be water weight at least. Not saying impossible though I've seen some crazy stuff with meds unfortunately, with all the reactions I've had with claritin. :( Advil to eliminate inflammation and pain. If you don't have either I'd try something else for sleeping like melatonin and or a valarian and chamomile tea or in pill form if you don't like the taste. I have done melatonin on many occasions and it relaxes me to sleep quite easily once I get in a dark or dim room.
  • Avasmama2000
    Avasmama2000 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for your wonderful feedback! I really appreciate your kindness.:smile:
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    To handle your allergies in a drug-free way, try acupuncture. My sister had severe hayfever and obviously couldn't take allergy medication during pregnancy. So she decided to give acupuncture a try. Her allergies were completely gone for about three years; when they reared their ugly head again she had an acupuncture 'refresher.' Works great for her.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Oh, not another drug I have to give up. Sigh.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I take Benadryl nightly and had no problem losing weight. I take it right before bed with chocolate milk, so I'm already asleep before any munchies might set in.
  • gymmgirl
    gymmgirl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have never read that! But one thing I dd learn was that taking advil or excedrin pm to sleep (which I did too) isn't good because the advil or excedrin part of the drug is bad for the liver. so if you need something for sleep, the plain old sominex had just the sleep medicine. Also, if you take melatonin on a regular basis, your body will stop making its own, so that should only be used occasionally. I had years of sleep problems because of night sweats, and stress, and I've found breathing exercises (pranyama) and chakra chants (I have a cd that is perfect), and also progressive muscle relaxation.
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Advil is an evil thing !! It makes me retain fluid and it also contributed to a blood clotting disorder ! (unable to clot)
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I take benedryl pretty frequently and I do not have a weight problem. I'm just one person though so take it for what it's worth.
  • kaydensmom12
    kaydensmom12 Posts: 338
    Options
    Antihistamines can cause weight gain because of its appetite stimulant activity and its sedation. If you are watching what you eat and watching your activity level then you will not gain weight. They do not change your metabolism, therefore can not make you magically gain weight. Anything that causes sedation will usually have weight gain as a side effect, antihistamines are often used as anxiety/sleeping aids.