MFP miscounting calories?

Options
so... does anyone else have this problem...
fats are 9 calories per gram, proteins/carbs are 4 cals per gram...
how come MFP says im at 1422 calories today when my macros clearly add up to 1518?

anyone know the answer?

Replies

• sarahgilmore1
    Options
    rounding

fibre vs carbohydrates

incorrectly entered foods
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You must be careful using MFP burn rates as well as foods from the data base.
    I've seen some strange entries.
    And I had to tweak the numbers in order to fine my own zone that resulted in a pound of weight lost per week.
    It's become second nature, and my goal is to get it right by 5% or so.
    Good luck!
  • desireedare
    Options
    You must be careful using MFP burn rates as well as foods from the data base.
    I've seen some strange entries.
    And I had to tweak the numbers in order to fine my own zone that resulted in a pound of weight lost per week.
    It's become second nature, and my goal is to get it right by 5% or so.
    Good luck!

I custom enter my goals/macros. I just wanted to know if it was just my entering or if MFP just calculated wrong and I should start adding myself as well as tracking on here. I'm not looking to lose really, i want to build lean mass so my macros are important
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    because all of the calories arent contained in the macros you choose to view...?
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    Some of the user-entered data is questionable...I picked an entry for a margarita once that said it had 12 grams of protein. Um, I didn't eat the worm, folks. ;-)
  • desireedare
    Options
    Some of the user-entered data is questionable...I picked an entry for a margarita once that said it had 12 grams of protein. Um, I didn't eat the worm, folks. ;-)

hah this made me laugh!!! yeah, i thought it was just error in the system.. just checking to see what other opinions are! thanks everyone
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options

hah this made me laugh!!! yeah, i thought it was just error in the system.. just checking to see what other opinions are! thanks everyone
    Good luck to YOU!
    All Is Possible!
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    late to the game, are you all talking about using the bar scan option and still finding inconsistencies. When I use the bar scan with the foods i consume they are quite accurate. I low ball on my exercise when choosing from the database because it isnt really accurate unless I am entering myself based on output from a heart rate/calorie counter monitor.

More insight please
  • desireedare
    Options
    i use my HRM for exercise... MFP is WAY too low!! i bought a polar HRM and i burn between 300-600 calories per workout... MFP was calculating 100-300! way way way off haha
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    MFP does not count your macros and multiply it by the appropriate number of calories per gram. It adds up the calories for each food. Look at your individual foods and you will see that the macros don't necessarily match the calories.
  • BabyGrl726
    BabyGrl726 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This is so confusing to me. I feel as though if I am going to do this then I definitely need to do it right. Macros? what are those....HELP. <
    clueless chick wanting to be healthy!
    MFP does not count your macros and multiply it by the appropriate number of calories per gram. It adds up the calories for each food. Look at your individual foods and you will see that the macros don't necessarily match the calories.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    This is so confusing to me. I feel as though if I am going to do this then I definitely need to do it right. Macros? what are those....HELP. <
    clueless chick wanting to be healthy!

By macros they just mean macronutrients, as in protein, carb and fat grams (and alcohol, to get technical). If you just need to lose weight, I wouldn't worry too much about them. There are all kinds of different standpoints on how much of this and that you should eat. MFP is confusing enough without worrying about macro levels and sugar and sodium and processed vs. 'clean' and all, for 90% of people.