Fatigued?

Options
Hey everyone!

I've been working out for a while now - 4 months at the gym, about 4 days a week. I usually work out every other day; when I do work out, I do 45 min's - 1 hr of cardio and then some machines. My problem is after I'm done working out I have energy for about an hour then I become really fatigued - to the point where I feel like I need a nap! This can't be normal.... any suggestions?

Jen

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Do you eat after your workout?
  • CinthyNair
    Options
    I usually take a calorie bar or a fruit or 2 for carbs and sugar just before my workout, my evergy level is usually high for about 3-4 hrs thereafter.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

I've been working out for a while now - 4 months at the gym, about 4 days a week. I usually work out every other day; when I do work out, I do 45 min's - 1 hr of cardio and then some machines. My problem is after I'm done working out I have energy for about an hour then I become really fatigued - to the point where I feel like I need a nap! This can't be normal.... any suggestions?

Jen
    This was happening to me "during" the workout session but I was working out everyday sometimes two different sessions in one day! I was told to mix a natural juice 8oz with 2 table spoons of vanilla whey protien! I actually used a shaker mixed the two then filled the rest of the bottle with water, shook it up till dissolved, and starting sipping before-through and after! It is called a "recovery" drink but it helps the sugar levels! It truly worked for me! I also heard to try nonfat skim milk mixed with low sugar choc. syrup! I hate milk so the other suits me fine! Also if this seems serious go to the doc, you may be hypoglycemic::or hypothyroid! I hope you get well soon!
  • ladyhutch
    Options
    fatigued u should probably carry some candy with u, or drink some orange juice, maybe try an enegry bar, because your blood sugar could be dropping cause you to be tired. try this i hope it works
  • dcherry88
    dcherry88 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    yeah. getting something in you an hour or so prior and/or something not long after is a good idea. I have my afternoon snack about an hour 1/2 before the workout (small handful of almonds) and if i'm really beat afterwards, i grab a quick protein shake. I wasn't eating correctly at one point when i was doing my workouts and the next day during work i almost passed out, i immediately went and got something to eat just to restore some of that energy.
  • Margoose38
    Options
    I make sure to have a protein bar or protein shake in the car on the way home from the gym. Protein just after a wrokout reallllly helps!!!!

-Margaret:wink:
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Jen

Do you take any stimulants pre workout?? stimulants can cause a crash post workout. I am a bit confused about your workout length and schedule. Do you do 1h of cardio followed by weight training?? How long do spend in the gym total every other day??

Also, you may want to consider taking a week off from training or so to re charge the battery. See if you come back feeling re freshed..
  • twilight1542
    Options
    During the week I always hit the gym after work then go straight home & make dinner. On the weekends gym time varies so if a meal isn't going to be w/in an hour or so I'll have a snack of almonds or something high in protein. I'm guilty of working out 7 days a week and the only time I've ever experienced fatigue was when I first started & wasn't eating enough protein.

I hope that helps :)