Jobs

Options
kellicarter11
kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
Hi there,
I just recently graduated college, I have a Bachelor's in Sociology. I am having a terrible time finding a real job....
So how did you guys find your first job? I don't know anyone so I can't get it through connections.

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If you can get into a Masters or PhD program it would help you immensely. It opens up teaching possibilities, there are often internships (not necessarily paid ones, but it gives you a foot in the door), and the pay of course will be much better in the end.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I graduated college 3 years ago & I still don't work in my field. :grumble:
    I have no connections either, I just look online & keep applying for something I like whether I think I qualify or not.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Check out this blog, she has great advice! I recommend it to everyone I know:

http://www.askamanager.org/

Good luck!

Oh, and I started my career with work terms (like paid internships) that were part of my degree program, so not much help.

Good luck!
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I searched jobs like crazy, and even if I thought I was under qualified, I would still send my resume out! Were you able to get a letter of recommendation from any of your professors? That usually helps too...
  • katejenkins1
    katejenkins1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Graduated 6 years ago, still not working in my field. I hope someone can help!

Good luck!
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    A Bachelor's in Sociology is not in much demand out of the public sector unless you go into sales.
    Right now women are tearing it up as pharmaceutical reps and real estate agents.
    That's the direction I would consider: sales!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I knew someone and had connections...
  • Pimpmonkey
    Pimpmonkey Posts: 566
    Options
    I graduated college 3 years ago & I still don't work in my field. :grumble:
    I have no connections either, I just look online & keep applying for something I like whether I think I qualify or not.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    You weren't networking through your professors and peers before graduation? Are there associations in your field you can join? Have you tried contacting employers you would like to work for and asking them if they have any use for a Sociologist? What about google, "What kind of jobs are good for Sociologists?" and that would probably even pull up listings for some positions in your field..

I don't have a college degree. I started out at the front desk of a corporate office and worked my way in to an office management position that has branched out in to some Risk Management Generalist opportunities. I constantly networked, asked people about their lines of work, kept my skillset broad, joined associations in my industry, and obtained various certifications that would benefit my role.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    You weren't networking through your professors and peers before graduation? Are there associations in your field you can join? Have you tried contacting employers you would like to work for and asking them if they have any use for a Sociologist? What about google, "What kind of jobs are good for Sociologists?" and that would probably even pull up listings for some positions in your field..

I don't have a college degree. I started out at the front desk of a corporate office and worked my way in to an office management position that has branched out in to some Risk Management Generalist opportunities. I constantly networked, asked people about their lines of work, kept my skillset broad, joined associations in my industry, and obtained various certifications that would benefit my role.
    ^^^^^^^^
    THIS - and a huge WOW!
    You are one heck of a can-do lady.
    KEEP PUNCHING!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I sent a resume out to every place that remotely dealt with what my degree was.
    Two places called back and in the end both those places offered me a job.
    I also went on a lot of interviews for anything and everything, interviewing is great practice.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    What can you do? Employers don't care so much about what your degree is in so much as what are you able to do for them. Are you good with customers or interacting with the public? What about dealing with numbers and data? Can you write well? How are your persuasive skills? What kinds of technology tools have you mastered? Those are the kinds of things employers are looking for (not necessarily all of them at once!).

If you don't have any experience - say you didn't work or do any internships in school - your biggest hurdle will be catching up on experience. That means you may have to take positions that don't require a degree. That may even means doing some vounteer work while continuing your job search to help build the experience. There's absolutely nothing wrong with working as a temp to build some skills and flesh out a resume, either.

Where are you and what kinds of roles are interested in?
  • kellicarter11
    kellicarter11 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Well right now I live in Missouri. Around Springfield. I honestly would take anything that provides at least 24,000 a year. That's enough to cover most expenses. I don't have any experience in anything though :(
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Try social work!! I have a BS and am a case worker at a treatment facility for teens!!! I live in IL so the wage rage prob isn't much different for us!!! Many places will get you licensed just because case work in private agencies has a higher turn around!!! Good luck to ya!!!!!
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I haven't graduated college just yet (one more year!); but I've found quite a bit of success through networking and making tons of connections. Granted, I'm an actuarial science major; so my field is so unique that it's in high demand because barely anyone knows about it.

For your degree, I would suggest graduate school and networking there. Become a graduate assistant, participate in some research...things open up quite nicely (so I hear).
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    Hi there,
    I just recently graduated college, I have a Bachelor's in Sociology. I am having a terrible time finding a real job....
    So how did you guys find your first job? I don't know anyone so I can't get it through connections.

Are you looking for a job or a career??

I kind of fell into being an Executive Assistant at a private school and I love my job! I had never done it before I don't have a college degree. I just happen to be great at it!! :tongue: I started as a receptionist 12 years ago when I first came to San Francisco making $26k a year at an ad agency. That was so much fun, but crappy pay. I make waaaaaay more now and as I said, I love my job. I now consider it a great career. There are some Executive Assistants here in SF that make over $100k a year. Granted, those assistants are working in high stress corporate environments, which I have no desire to be a part of.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Well right now I live in Missouri. Around Springfield. I honestly would take anything that provides at least 24,000 a year. That's enough to cover most expenses. I don't have any experience in anything though :(

Nothing? You've never worked before in any kind of capacity? Never volunteered? Never worked on campus? Never helped out a student club? If you truly don't have any experience then it's time to get some - again I recommend the temp or staffing agency as a starting point.Surely you'e answered a phone or two? Created documents in MS Word? Used Powerpoint? Administrative staff is where a number of people begin their careers. Also, customer service roles, call centers, sales support, marketing assistants - all possibilities that are often readily available unless you live in the middle of nowhere. Shoot - even farms can have secretaries.

My first job out of grad school was answering e-mail for Amazon.com - got it through a temp agency. It paid the bills and kept me busy while I continued to look for what I really wanted. Now I work as a career advisor for college students - if you have more detailed questions, feel free to send me a message.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I think my iPod is being dumb because I am trying to message you back!! I would look online or in the phone book for places like Lutheran or Christian social services, residential facilities and group homes!! I really like casework!! You could also look on monster for casework in your area!!! I'm sure there is a lot of agencies in your area!!! Sorry if my messages go through, just ignore them ;)
  • matchbox_girl
    matchbox_girl Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    My mother also got her Bachelor's in Sociology. She was a family advocate for Headstart for many years (like a social worker.) And she also managed a homeless shelter for a while. She's a brilliant woman.....really, though, this economy is unforgiving with the field of social work. The health field is where it wasn't hurt. (I'm a Phlebetomist and didn't need school for it.)