Yogurt

Options
What kinds do you like, and also is there a difference (health wise) between greek and regular yogurt? I would like to start eating more yogurt as it is a good source of protein. I tried non-fat greek yogurt today and thought it was pretty terrible. Is flavored greek yogurt worth a try? I do like other kinds of flavored yogurt, just looking for the best option. Thanks for your input. :)

Replies

• RAWBMEOW
    RAWBMEOW Posts: 64
    Options
    I really like 0% fage with fruit. its super yummy and super low in cal and high in protein.
  • calitravelingal
    Options
    greek yogerts on average have twice a much protein per serving as 'regular' yogerts. to me the plain is kinda gross, but on the other hand many of the fruit flavors are high in suger because of the flavorings that are added. A good way to make plain better is to add a teaspoon of honey and some fresh/fresh frozen fruit to a 1 cup serving.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt is higher in protein as it has some of the whey drained out of it. I like fage total for greek yogurt, plain only for me and full fat. I add my own fruit or unsweetened coconut flakes to it. I also enjoy Stonyfield plain, whole yogurt. I just bought some handcrafted carrot cake jam to add to my plain yogurt.
  • babycook
    babycook Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    The greek yogurt I buy is fat free. I'd prefer full fat but they don't carry it at my grocery store. I usually eat it in a smoothie with coconut oil or avacado for healthy fat.
    If I eat it plain I add berries.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I like Yoplait occasionally, but then I discovered greek yogurt probably 6 months ago and fell in love. I started off with the mini cups of greek yogurt with blueberries on the bottom, but I wanted more. So, I upgraded to plain greek yogurt and add fresh blueberries with a tsp of honey. Yum!
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Chobanie Greek Yogurt in black cherry, blueberry, apple are my favorite flavors. I eat it just about every morning with a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast. The protien keeps me full.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is great for protein, you can get the kind with fruit. Those have more sugar AND less protein. But they do have better flavor/consistency than the plain. It is VERY thick! I like Fage or Chobani plain. I use it in my morning smoothie (yogurt, almond or coconut milk, berries, spinach, and a half scoop of protein powder). Or you can just stir in fresh or thawed frozen fruit on your own. You can control how much fruit goes in that way, and you can even add a little sugar, but then YOU are in control of how much and if you use organic/artificial sweeteners, whatever, it gives you some flexibility.

Also, try substituting the plain greek yogurt for some of the mayo in things like potato salad, tuna salad, dips, etc. Start with a smaller ratio and gradually increase the yogurt, decrease the mayo. The health difference is incredible and if you gradually acclimate your mouth to the different flavor, it won't seem so extreme. I actually subbed 100% greek plain for the mayo in my daughter's tuna salad and she couldn't tell the difference!!
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Plain Full Fat Yogurt, but it's tough to find. Stoneyfield makes it if you can get it. I used to make my own but haven't done that for awhile. I ate a lot of greek yogurt when I was pregnant because it's about the only thing I could eat that helped with a queasy tummy, but I don't really care for it in general. The flavored ones have too much sugar and they are always no fat which i don't believe in!
  • HC82
    HC82 Posts: 22
    Options
    I have just started putting plain Greek yogurt in my smoothies....it's taking some getting used to but I love how much protein it adds. My question is: why is everyone on here saying they get the full fat ones? I assumed low fat was better? I honestly don't know, someone explain please!
  • MissMay87
    MissMay87 Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for the info! I did put blueberries in mine today which helped me gag it down haha. I still have some left so maybe I'll try some honey in it tomorrow! :)