Sometimes, the Army SUCKS!

Options
2»

Replies

• rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband was air force and I ran into the same problem with getting teaching jobs. Hang in there. I understand your frustration!
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I have been there. Ordered to Munich and shipped to Missouri. That's why I got out.

If it was me, I would just go get the job where you are. He could be in MO tomorrow, and GA the next week.

And thanks for the sacrifice that your whole family makes.

^^This! I will never be able to express my gratitude to all of our service men and women and their families.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    I'd have just taken the position.
    Screw it.
    Sometimes you don't need to 100% honest 100% of the time.
    You sound like a great human being; never mind the words of this sociopath...:smokin:
    Good luck to you, and THANK YOU BOTH for your sacrifice and your husband's service to our nation.
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    im a marine wife, I know exactly how you feel. I was working with the Cleveland Clinic in ohio while he was in japan, he came home like 6 months early and we had to move... I loved that he came home but hate that i had to give up a great job. I now have a great job where we live so it worked out...but Its hard to get settled when you know ull have orders in 2-3 years...

Add me for support on weight loss/military anything! :)
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I can feel your pain as a former Army wife. You never know what's going to happen from one day to the next much less a year. If I were you, I would interview and take the job for a year and then meet your husband in Yuma. Especially since you don't know when you will get the orders. It could be a year, who knows.

At least you'll be moving from a hot place with lots of humidity to a hot place with little humidity lol
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I live in a navy town and that is just one of the many many MANY reasons why I would never be with someone who is in the service. Sorry chick but you knew what you were signing up for when you decided to be with him.

So unnecessary.
    You don't decide who you love. You just love them.

And to say she knew what she was signing up for? I didn't know. I didn't know how much of myself I would truly be giving up. You can't possibly know until you're already in.

This comment was so unnecessary and cruel.
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I was in the Air Force for 24 years…there are ways to work on this instead of getting frustrated. Have you explained the situation to the principal that wants you to interview? Being in a military community many organizations understand these situations. Maybe they would be willing to work with you until his report no later than date (RNLTD). Does it have to be a one year contract? Maybe you could be the stop gap between hiring a full time music teacher. And if all else fails you end up taking the one year contract and staying behind for a few months to finish out the year. My experience with the Air Force assignment system is your RNLTD for state side to state side assignments is around three-six months after the notification of orders…typically six months

Or the other possibilities, again my experience is from the Air Force and may be different in the Army, he could get his RNLTD bumped either way. Say you were to get a job in Yuma that required you to be there in July and his RNLTD was not until Sept…he could get an early RNLTD of July or if you had the one year contract with the school who wants to interview you and it expired in June 2013 he could get his RNLTD bumped further and report in July 2013. This is typically easier to do with stateside to stateside assignments.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Forgive my ignorance but can't you live there and he goes to his posting?

Happens all the time in the British army....,
  • DBiddle69
    DBiddle69 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I live in a navy town and that is just one of the many many MANY reasons why I would never be with someone who is in the service. Sorry chick but you knew what you were signing up for when you decided to be with him.

So unnecessary.
    You don't decide who you love. You just love them.

And to say she knew what she was signing up for? I didn't know. I didn't know how much of myself I would truly be giving up. You can't possibly know until you're already in.

This comment was so unnecessary and cruel.

Not sure she was meaning to be cruel...just uneducated about the lifestyle or ever being in that situation.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options

It's certainly not something just ANY woman can handle.
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Could you take a job and then meet your hubby when the year is over?

That is certainly a scenario that we've contemplated. It really depends on our report date. If we're scheduled to report in like March 2013, then I would interview for a full-time position. As of right now, we just don't know. And that's what's driving me batty! LOL
  • debussyschild
    Options
    When you see Yuma, AZ, you won't be thinking it's that awesome of a move.

Yeah, Yuma itself is nothing amazing, but I love AZ and I've always wanted to live there. On top of that, it is a very lucky and fortunate assignment for my husband as a parachute rigger :) I'm so proud of him for getting that assignment!
  • debussyschild
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments! I feel much better now. I love being an Army wife, I'm damn proud of it. Wouldn't exchange it for anything in the world. But just like any other course in life one could decide to take, it has its challenges.
  • marinemomx2
    marinemomx2 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    First off thank you to your husband for his service and to you as well as I understand the sacrifices you make as a military spouse. I grew up in the Marine Corps, married a Marine and now have two sons currently in the Marine Corps so I completely understand. They always say- for us "Semper Gumby" - always flexible - which I hate but unfortunately that is the way it is. I wish you luck in your new duty station and hope that everything works out ok in your job situation.
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options

It's certainly not something just ANY woman can handle.
    My (Army) other half tells me all the time that not everybody is cut out to be the other half of a military couple. It takes an incredibly strong woman and a solid faith in your relationship.

I wish I had words of wisdom for you but in the end only you and your husband can decide whats right for you. I applaud your decision not to apply for any position you wouldn't be able to fill for the duration of the contract. Good luck and thank you.