Muscle vs. Fat

Options
I don't know about you guys but it's really irritating when I hear "muscle weighs more than fat". Muscle and fat weigh the same...it's weight!

5 POUNDS of muscle is the same as 5 POUNDS of fat...it's just that muscle is less dense and takes up less room. How come people don't get that?

Replies

• victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but its really irritating when someone posts about how irritating it is that muscle weighs more than fat.

Thank you for the PSA though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNlSv4SUYWo

:smile:
  • sarah692
    sarah692 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I think most people DO understand that, they're just not that articulate about it.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    How comes you don't get that weight is relative?
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I don't know about you, but its really irritating when someone posts about how irritating it is that muscle weighs more than fat.

Then why reply?
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Paging Azachary....
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    people do get it, it's just that they get torn apart when they say it because their wording isn't clear. Of course muscle and fat don't weigh the same- BY VOLUME. It's like saying that a bowling ball and a volleyball weigh the same. They don't, they are about the same size, but a volley ball is filled with air, therefore much less dense and a bowling ball is solid, therefore much more dense. Muscle is much more dense, therefore much heavier when compared to the same volume of fat.
  • missym357
    missym357 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I find it frustrating when people point out that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat- and ugh, I even get irritated at myself for feeling compelled to be the one to point out the other side of the arguement. Does a pound of anything weigh more than a pound of anything else? No, but density of muscle is higher than the density of fat- so for a unit of volume, YES muscle does weigh more than fat.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

Then why reply?

Same reason you posted
  • STACYINOC
    Options
    Honestly, I find it frustrating when people point out that muscle doesn't weigh more than fat- and ugh, I even get irritated at myself for feeling compelled to be the one to point out the other side of the arguement. Does a pound of anything weigh more than a pound of anything else? No, but density of muscle is higher than the density of fat- so for a unit of volume, YES muscle does weigh more than fat.

I'm talking about weight, not volume.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat...BY VOLUME.:huh:
    A gallon of muscle weighs more than a gallon of fat.

This keeps coming up again and again. Is our education system that bad?
    Anyway, even if some people don't express the concept correctly, that's what they mean.
    Give the poor folks a pass.
  • STACYINOC
    Options

Then why reply?

Same reason you posted

The OP???
  • zcomsto
    zcomsto Posts: 11
    Options
    This is all BS. I was asked, just this morning, whether a pound of feathers weighed less than a pound of lead. I answered, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the pound of lead was heavier. Everyone knows this, and you'd be stupid to suggest otherwise. So, as muscle is denser--as is lead to feathers--than fat, one must deduce that, in fact, a pound of muscle weighs significantly more than a pound of fat...
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Visual aids because I just don't feel like jawing about this:

tumblr_m18s7j2Jqd1qm5hzso1_500.jpg

Weight is the measurement of gravity's effect on a mass.

Density is a measurement over that mass divided by volume.

More science:
    bmi-comparison.gif
    http://health.howstuffworks.com/wellness/diet-fitness/weight-loss/bmi3.htm
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Fifty dollars worth of gold costs the same as fifty dollars worth of manure, but no one says that cow poop is as valuable as gold.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Fifty dollars worth of gold costs the same as fifty dollars worth of manure, but no one says that cow poop is as valuable as gold.

If you're a farmer it's worth more (by volume). Ever tried fertilizing a crop with gold?
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options

If you're a farmer it's worth more (by volume). Ever tried fertilizing a crop with gold?

If you're a jeweller it's worth more (by value). Ever sold crap?
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Wow!
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    bump

Lol. That's the first time I've seen a "muscle weighs more that fat" thread bumped.
  • ChrisFitPro
    ChrisFitPro Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This is all BS. I was asked, just this morning, whether a pound of feathers weighed less than a pound of lead. I answered, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that the pound of lead was heavier. Everyone knows this, and you'd be stupid to suggest otherwise. So, as muscle is denser--as is lead to feathers--than fat, one must deduce that, in fact, a pound of muscle weighs significantly more than a pound of fat...

Tragically, I don't think you're being sarcastic...

A pound of feathers and a pound of lead both weigh a pound. Don't think to hard about it (please).

:|