Fitting in exercise and 12 hour shifts

Options
I work three 12 hour shifts per week. Currently I exercise only on the days off. I'm curious to see if other people are able to exercise after a 12 hour work day. How and when do you do it?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I try to exercise 60-90 minutes on my days off (minimum of 3 days a week). I have been successful getting up 30 minutes early and doing a yoga video right when I get out of bed on the days that I work 12 hours. I can't walk or run in the mornings because my daughter is home with me and I can't leave her alone. I don't get home until after 10 p.m., so it's not going to happen then. The yoga is a good compromise for me.
  • mrykyldy2
    mrykyldy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Your 12 hour shifts 3 days a week tells me you're a nurse. My hubby is an RN currently working toward FNP. Anyways, some of the nurses that work with my hubby will take a walk around the block, leaving their cell number with the charge nurse or their other option is to walk the steps in the stairwell for 15 minutes on all their breaks. They are allowed to pop in to the break room to get a quick bite to eat between dealing with patients. They are good about keeping bite size finger foods in the fridge or at their station. Each dept has different rules about food at the nurses station or dipping into the break room between dealing with patients. On the floor my hubby worked on the break room was right there next to the nurses station.
  • aprilgraciete
    aprilgraciete Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with taking those 3 days off from exercise. I bet you on your feet quit a bit those days. When I worked three 12 hour shifts I usually wouldn't work out those days. I worked overnight and I liked to just rest. Work real hard the other days! I now work 5 days but two of those days are only 6 hour shifts and two of those days are 10 hour shifts. I use my 10 hour shift days as my rest days. You got to do whatever works for you and dont exhaust yourself! Three 12 hour shifts can be ideal for exercise. Tear it up the other four days!
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I'm on my last few days of p90x.....6 workouts a week and I haven't missed a workout. I work 7p-7a and when I have to work 2 in a row, I work out in the morning when I get home from work. Still gives me plenty of time for sleep. It was rough the first week or so, but habits develop quickly.....both good ones and bad ones. It also helps that I have a supportive family.
  • adbohls
    adbohls Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    If you are a nurse or on your feet the whole shift, make sure you factor that in when calculating your daily calorie goal. If you sit most of your shift, walk on your breaks. If you work on a second floor or higher, take the stairs. I don't think I could exercise after working a 12 hour shift, so I would try to find every opportunity during my shift to increase my exercise. I would also make sure that I exercise on my days off.
  • itsirkmr
    itsirkmr Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am a nurse so I am running around on my feet for most of the shift! This leaves me quite exhausted at the end of the day. I switch to nights next week. Should me 'interesting.' :)
  • rndebbierose
    Options
    As a nurse who works 12 hour night shifts, I can tell you that it is MUCH easier to fit in your exercize on the nights you are off. My goal is to work out at least 3 days/week, and that is definitely do-able, but much better done when I am not working. I find that when I work, it basically takes all my time up just working and sleeping. I can't imagine trying to fit exercize in there, too! Nights is a great shift to work, IMHO, however, it can be exhausting. Good luck on maintaining your exercize program as you go onto the night shift. It CAN be done!!! :-)
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I work the overnight 12-hour shifts, and while I'm starting to love running in the am, I'm not home till around 7:30 and by then, this time of year, it's close to 95 degrees outside. So I've started P90x along with my runs, just do them when my daughter is taking a nap during the week/between shifts on the work weekend (while my SO is watching her)
  • 7bel0
    7bel0 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I work the overnight shift as well (7p-7a). I force myself to do something small in the morning when I get home, rather it be a quick walk, or some pilates and then in the afternoon I wake up early and fit in at least 45 minutes of something. I've just came to the realization that I just have to do it. And something small is better than nothing at all.