Tips for a college student?

Options
I'm starting to try and be fit and lose weight starting like, now. I plan to lose a fair amount of weight by the end of summer, but I want to stay consistent (or, if I don't get to my intended goal by then, finish the job) over the school year and such. I'm currently living at home during the summer, but I return to the "on-campus" life in the fall. It will be my second year. I feel that I did lose a bit of weight my first year, but probably because I was doing more walking than usual.

What are good ways to maintain good health at college? I already plan on hitting the on campus gym as much as I can, and trying to choose the "low-cal" cafeteria meals... but... any other tips? What types of foods or drink with long shelf lives, that are affordable and will do well in a mini fridge or dorm room should I stock up on?

Just give me overall tips and info!! :)

Replies

• SalsaSuzQ
    SalsaSuzQ Posts: 15
    Options
    Find out if your college has intramural teams your interested in. My college had a swing dance club and a rock climbing club. That way exercise doesn't seem like such a chore ^.^~ It's always nice to meet new people. That way it's easier to find work-out buddies, too, if you decide you want to hit up the rec center. Best of luck! You can do it.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    Do you have a fridge in your dorm/room?
    Fresh veggies/fruits!

Can you cook at all?
    If so, make your own meals most of the time.

Get your own healthy cereal, things like that.

Obviously the gym is a great idea. Do you bike? Lots of people at my university biked.
  • mjcorbs228
    mjcorbs228 Posts: 21
    Options
    Do you have a fridge in your dorm/room?
    Fresh veggies/fruits!

Can you cook at all?
    If so, make your own meals most of the time.

Get your own healthy cereal, things like that.

Obviously the gym is a great idea. Do you bike? Lots of people at my university biked.

We have a fairly small fridge, but I'm hoping that this year, my roommate and I will do our food shopping together so that we can share most of the food. She's already lost a bunch of weight and is very healthy, so having the same types of things that she does I'm sure can't hurt.

We have a microwave, and that's about it. We're in the tiny little dorms, even though we'd kill to have one of the apartments. So no, no way of really cooking unless its a microwave meal.

I usually keep my bike up there for part of the year, otherwise we have a "bike share" program with university supplied bikes around campus. The city I go to school in is just obscenely hilly and so biking is exhausting after a while.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Don't do the on campus meal plan!! It is evil I would know.
    I suggest finding a way to avoid the cafeteria at all costs and cook for yourself. It'll be cheaper (or same price if you buy the healthy stuff), you'll spend less time eating, and you'll know exactly what is in your food.
  • chantalm15
    chantalm15 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely suggest a blender if you're into the protein shakes after workouts it helps with protein for sure. I'm living in a frat house right now hah so I feel your pain ha with little access to a fridge but even keeping lettuce some veggies and salad stuff it doesn't take up much room and you can throw together a quick salad to take for lunch instead of buying on campus!
  • mjcorbs228
    Options
    I suggest finding a way to avoid the cafeteria at all costs and cook for yourself. It'll be cheaper (or same price if you buy the healthy stuff), you'll spend less time eating, and you'll know exactly what is in your food.
    Unfortunately, my school REQUIRES that if I live on campus in the dorms, I have a meal-plan. However, that meal plan is split up in three different levels with cafeteria visits and "dining dollars". Cafeteria visits are a swipe of a card to get into the "all-you-can-eat" cafeteria meals. the dining dollars are used like cash for the food court and coffee shops and like things on campus.
    Meal plan 1 - 75% meal plan, 25% dining dollars
    Meal plan 2 - 50% meal plan, 50% dining dollars
    Meal plan 3 - 25% meal plan, 75% dining dollars

I intend to be on meal plan 3. That will keep me farther away from the cafeteria, and more so in the food court, where I can easily get healthier meals, such as zoup! and "chop'd & wrap'd" (a salad and wrap place), or to help me buy snacks in the student store, such as trail mix, yogurts, and such.

However, I usually do try to keep my room stocked with healthy food, as sometimes (especially in the winter), its just not worth the walk to the cafeteria or anything to get the food.
  • raeraeti
    raeraeti Posts: 108
    Options
    Unfortunately, my school REQUIRES that if I live on campus in the dorms, I have a meal-plan. However, that meal plan is split up in three different levels with cafeteria visits and "dining dollars". Cafeteria visits are a swipe of a card to get into the "all-you-can-eat" cafeteria meals. the dining dollars are used like cash for the food court and coffee shops and like things on campus.

I intend to be on meal plan 3. That will keep me farther away from the cafeteria, and more so in the food court, where I can easily get healthier meals, such as zoup! and "chop'd & wrap'd" (a salad and wrap place), or to help me buy snacks in the student store, such as trail mix, yogurts, and such.

However, I usually do try to keep my room stocked with healthy food, as sometimes (especially in the winter), its just not worth the walk to the cafeteria or anything to get the food.

Meal Plan 3 sounds good :)
    That's one of the main reasons I'm moving off campus for the fall- the required meal plan. I gained 25 lbs in 2 semesters. The way I look at it is at least I caught it before it got too out of control.
  • mjcorbs228
    Options

Meal Plan 3 sounds good :)
    That's one of the main reasons I'm moving off campus for the fall- the required meal plan. I gained 25 lbs in 2 semesters. The way I look at it is at least I caught it before it got too out of control.
    Yeah. :) I've been really careful about gaining weight at school. I knew there was a high chance I would, but at the same time, I had entirely cut fast food out of my diet, since I had no car last year. which, i think helped.
    I actually lost a bit of weight living on campus last year. No clue how! Probably from walking so much more than usual.
  • Savvay
    Savvay Posts: 4
    Options
    Oh man, I know how this feels. I was just in this boat last year. Thankfully I'm off campus and my roomie and I now eat generally pretty healthy. I remember how hard it was going to the dining hall for all my meals. Nothing like having to walk past pizza and cookies when you're trying to get to the salad bar. As far as dining hall food, I know me and my roommates favorite thing to do was make our own taco salads, or variations of it. We would just get salad greens and olives etc. and then usually there was some sort of cooked chicken or what not and we would top our salads with that and use a little salsa and sour cream. This usually cut down the fat from dressings and we're also pretty crazy about taco salads lol.

As far as stuff to keep around your dorm. I always eat carrots. I usually just leave the bag open so when you look in the fridge to munch on something they're just waiting for you. 100 calorie popcorn bags are great too! Especially when doing HW for me. Always seems like there's a lot in the bag and it wont ruin your day. Another thing we always do is tuna fish and cucumbers. Sounds weird but just tuna salad using fat free mayo and instead of chips we use cucumbers. You gotta at least try it once. So good and using cucumbers has been such an awesome alternative to chips. Best thing we ever did in my opinion!

Sorry this was kinda long but I hope it helps.
  • Ariberri9
    Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student myself (senior in college); so I understand your fears.

I stayed on track last semester by buying my own groceries. I packed my lunch every day and ate breakfast in my room; and when I went to the university dining hall for dinner, I made smart choices. I'd start with a large salad (very minimal dressing and cheese); then, I would move on to a healthy "main course" -- a meat, a healthy side, and maybe a whole-wheat roll. I'd have plenty of water throughout my dinner and ate slowly so that I wouldn't stuff myself. I avoided desserts, period. if I had breakfast at the dining hall (I usually had it in my room), I'd make smart choices again: Eggs, a meat, a biscuit, and some orange juice or water. No gravy, no sweets. And I'd grab some fruit for later on in the day.

Whenever I ran out of groceries (or money), I would consider my options. My university has not only a dining hall but also a cafe with different "restaurants." I'd look up each restaurant's menu and check the calories, fat, sodium, etc. and make the best decision.

Also, I worked out five times per week at my university's gym. I'd pack homework so that I could get stuff done while working out. Multitasking is going to be your best friend.

Furthermore, my residence hall had two kitchens; and I utilized them often to make healthy dinner meals (the leftovers would be lunch the next day).

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, feel free to message me or add me as a friend. :smile:
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Love the swing dancing idea! My friends and I go to an old dance hall a few times a year to do that, and it's a crazy good workout!