Looking for a specific type of running app

Options
I am in the market for a type of running app, but I'm not sure it even exists.

I have used the C25K running app called "Get Running" for my iPhone. I love it, and it has helped me get into running. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to use the run/walk intervals that is programmed into the app. I'm wondering if there is an app that will allow you to set your own run/walk intervals and somehow inform you when it is time to shift from one to the other.

I prefer using the app to my watch, because when it's coming through my headphones I don't have to think about how long I've been running and I can just zone out and enjoy myself.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd really appreciate it. I'd be willing to pay a bit if the app is good quality.

Replies

• s1lence
    s1lence Posts: 493
    Options
    I hope you get more help on this subject because I don't use apps for running.

But I hope I could make a suggestion- if you like to hear something that tells you when to walk or run for a certain amount of time try to set up a play list with songs that will give you cues to run or walk. Something like Queen Bicycle for a walking song and Fat Bottom Girls for a running song. (I like Queen and since those two songs make me think of exercise I figured I would throw them out there :D) This way you have a timer with the song list and a motivational theme song to keep going.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I just started using Digifit, and I"m pretty sure it can do what you're looking for... It allows custom routines, including intervals, although I believe that functionality comes bundled (for $2.99) with the sensors package.

I tried Endomondo, MapMyFitness, and RunKeeper... So far, Digifit beats all of them, but it does lack a bit of the "social networking" features that the others offer.

You can check it out here: http://new.digifit.com/

The basic app is free, but to get some customizations & connect HRM, pace, etc. sensors costs $2.99 I think. Another $3.99 on top of that will give you access to various health assessments.

EDIT: Playing around with it a bit now. Looks like intervals can be divided into series, can be timed, and are based on either pace or BPM zones. Not sure how it'll manage transition between intervals though.

EDIT 2: Check out Endomondo too (which is free). I think you can create custom intervals with that app as well. I moved to Digifit because Endomondo's HRM charting wasn't stacking up, but it might do what you need.
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    Options
    I found Endomondo and it seems to do exactly what I was looking for!!
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper will let you set your own intervals. It gives you regular notices of your speed & distance if you want too. It also has a GPS, and syncs with Earndit if that interests you at all.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I found Endomondo and it seems to do exactly what I was looking for!!

That was going to be my suggestion too! You can do more with the "Pro" app, but I use the free one and I've been happy with it. My favorite feature is the "countdown". I don't like to include my warm-up walk with my running time, so it's nice to be able to program it to tell me when to start running.
  • little_princess
    little_princess Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use runkeeper and Nike GPS!x