Am i eating too little?

Options
Hey, I'm Rowan. i'm aiming to loose a couple of stone and have been dieting and exercising to burn it off.

I'm eating around 1300 calories a day to try and stay above what people would consider as letting your body go into starvation mode, however, I'm burning at least from 200-700 calories a day at the gym. This sometimes leaves my 'myfitnesspal' diary as saying I've only eaten around 400 calories a day.

Is this a problem? I'm trying hard not to put my body into starvation mode as I don't want the weight to go back on afterwards, but should i be eating more calories and exercising or is this okay and is the fat going to stay off?

Please help I don't want this weight loss to be poinltess

Replies

• josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    You are definitely eating way too little. Google BMR and figure out what the minimum calories you should be having a day or at least eat back your calories burned at the gym.
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm Rowan. i'm aiming to loose a couple of stone and have been dieting and exercising to burn it off.

I'm eating around 1300 calories a day to try and stay above what people would consider as letting your body go into starvation mode, however, I'm burning at least from 200-700 calories a day at the gym. This sometimes leaves my 'myfitnesspal' diary as saying I've only eaten around 400 calories a day.

Is this a problem? I'm trying hard not to put my body into starvation mode as I don't want the weight to go back on afterwards, but should i be eating more calories and exercising or is this okay and is the fat going to stay off?

Please help I don't want this weight loss to be poinltess
    Yes, this is a problem
    You will fail with this approach. Follow MFP recommendations for safe, steady weight loss if you want to reach your goals.
    Good luck!
  • burbanum
    burbanum Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I would also recommend you eat exercise calories back and aim to stay above your resting metabolic rate...otherwise it will work for awhile, but backfire when you eventually start eating more normally again and you will feel frustrated. I have unfortunately done it that way and well let's just say it is fun to see the lbs fly off, but when they pile back on and you cannot maintain the lifestyle it is not so fun....slow and steady really does win the race. best of luck to you!
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. Very reduced calories over a long period may result in slightly lowered metabolism but that is noting which can't be overcome by a calorie deficit. Eat as much as you feel you need- trust your body. If you are hungry - eat, if you are full- stop.
  • KALMdown
    KALMdown Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify what you all are saying...
    My recommended calorie intake is 1200. Today I hiked for two hours and burned 1000 calories (approximate for the question only). So I should eat 2200 calories today? I'm about 500 calories short, so I should make me a protein shake and fruit?
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Without your diary open, it is difficult to say if your caloric intake and out burn are out of whack.
    Generally speaking, I eat between 1200 and 1300 calories a day.
    If I workout, I will under estimate the burn unless it is calculated by HRM.
    I add those calories back in, then eat 50%- to 80% of those back in.
    But I do not believe the burn values of standard gym equipment or of this website.... Calorie burn is such an individual thing.. the only real measure is from a good HRM...

also, make sure you are measuring your food. If you are out and cannot measure: then keep the following in mind.

A cup is smaller than your closed fist.
    A tablespoon is smaller than your thumb and a teaspoon is about the size of your thumbnail.

Here is a link to the National Institutes of Health portion size list. Maybe it will help some. (The link to the PDF file is the first listing on the right of the page)

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/portion/keep.htm
  • rowansonic
    Options
    it's just confusing sometimes as a lot of sources say I should burn 1000 cals a day etc. I'm still eating healthily and not eating when I'm not hungry. Ill try and up my calorie intake though, thanks :)
  • Bobby_Clerici
    Bobby_Clerici Posts: 1,828 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify what you all are saying...
    My recommended calorie intake is 1200. Today I hiked for two hours and burned 1000 calories (approximate for the question only). So I should eat 2200 calories today? I'm about 500 calories short, so I should make me a protein shake and fruit?
    Yes, eat those calories back or your deficit will be too high.
    Your metabolism will stifle.
  • mcarter99
    mcarter99 Posts: 1,666 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth. Very reduced calories over a long period may result in slightly lowered metabolism but that is noting which can't be overcome by a calorie deficit. Eat as much as you feel you need- trust your body. If you are hungry - eat, if you are full- stop.

This